    through the internet as far as to the target country?

    Regards
    Mariusz

    ri, Dec 21, 2006

  2. ri

    Tim Guest

    ri wrote:
    > Are voip calls to land lines a long distance international calls or do
    > they travel through the internet as far as to the target country?

    Either.

    It depends on the provider.

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 21, 2006

  3. ri

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > ri wrote:
    > > Are voip calls to land lines a long distance
    > > international calls or do they travel through the
    > > internet as far as to the target country?

    > Either.
    >
    > It depends on the provider.

    Or more accurately where the provider is based. If you want a call to
    (say) a US number to appear as if local to the person you're calling,
    you'll need a provider based there. I have UK, US and German numbers here.
    If I call a German landline from the UK account, it will be charged at a
    higher rate than a UK number but if I do it from the German account it
    will be charged as if I were in Germany.

    That's why if you are based in one country and want friends/customers to
    be able to call you at local rates, you'll need a number from a provider
    who can supply a number in the country you want calls from, usually that
    provider will have to be based there.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 21, 2006
  4. ri

    Will Kemp Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:55:41 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> ri wrote:
    >> > Are voip calls to land lines a long distance
    >> > international calls or do they travel through the
    >> > internet as far as to the target country?

    >> Either.
    >>
    >> It depends on the provider.

    > Or more accurately where the provider is based.

    No, it's not just that. A high proportion of cheap international phone
    calls seem to go through the internet these days. For example, those cheap
    international phone cards.

    Most internet telephony service providers probably route
    international calls via the internet - that's why they're so cheap.

    Will

    Will Kemp, Dec 22, 2006
  5. ri

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Will Kemp" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:55:41 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Either.
    > > >
    > > > It depends on the provider.

    > > Or more accurately where the provider is based.

    > No, it's not just that. A high proportion of cheap
    > international phone calls seem to go through the internet
    > these days. For example, those cheap international phone
    > cards.
    >
    > Most internet telephony service providers probably route
    > international calls via the internet - that's why they're
    > so cheap.

    Maybe so, but that's not the question that was being asked.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 22, 2006
  6. ri

    Will Kemp Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:34:05 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Will Kemp" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:55:41 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> > Or more accurately where the provider is based.

    >> No, it's not just that. A high proportion of cheap
    >> international phone calls seem to go through the internet
    >> these days. For example, those cheap international phone
    >> cards.
    >>
    >> Most internet telephony service providers probably route
    >> international calls via the internet - that's why they're
    >> so cheap.

    > Maybe so, but that's not the question that was being asked.

    ???

    Will Kemp, Dec 22, 2006
  7. ri

    ri Guest

    That way they have to own exchanges in every country they connect the calls to or
    to rent them. The latter seems to be too expensive.

    ri, Dec 22, 2006
  8. ri

    ri, Dec 26, 2006
  9. ri

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ri" <> wrote in message
    > That way they have to own exchanges in every country they
    > connect the calls to or to rent them. The latter seems to
    > be too expensive.

    That's twice you've said that, and I have no idea to what you're
    referring, as you have not included any of the message to which you're
    replying..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 26, 2006
  10. ri

    ri Guest

    Surely you can sort posts by thread in your news reader, can you not ?

    ri, Dec 26, 2006
  11. ri

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ri" <> wrote in message
    > Surely you can sort posts by thread in your news reader,
    > can you not ?

    Yes, but quoting just a little of what you are replying to makes life a
    lot easier.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 26, 2006
  12. ri

    ri Guest

    I am afraid there is nothing to quote in this case as the previous post had just
    two short sentences.

    ri, Dec 26, 2006
  13. ri

    Jono Guest

    but, even so!

    Jono, Dec 26, 2006
  14. ri

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ri" <> wrote in message
    > I am afraid there is nothing to quote in this case as the

    D'oh..!

    There were those short sentences, hence there was something.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 26, 2006