VOIP Suggestions

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stri, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Stri

    Stri Guest

    Hi,

    I was just doing some reading up, I'm not that impressed with Skype
    and I'm looking for alternatives.

    http://tinyurl.com/36c2zr

    VoIPDiscount VoIPCheap & VoIPStunt seem to be the suggested
    alternative. What I need is a VOIP provider which (like skype) I can
    just pay £10 quid (or so) and top up my credit to make call. I don't
    want any monthly plans as I like my freedom.

    I know there are several, I'd rather just trust in your experience in
    the subject to point me to the best one. If you came to alt.games.half-
    life I'd do the same.

    Thanks for reading

    peace, love and happiness (with the occasionally bit of harmless
    violence)

    Scottie

    Stri, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Stri

    acdeag Guest

    Try looking at www.voip.co.uk

    acdeag, Mar 30, 2007

  3. Stri

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
    >Try looking at www.voip.co.uk

    The best around I would say .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Stri

    RH Guest

    "Stri" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I was just doing some reading up, I'm not that impressed with Skype
    and I'm looking for alternatives.

    http://tinyurl.com/36c2zr

    VoIPDiscount VoIPCheap & VoIPStunt seem to be the suggested
    alternative. What I need is a VOIP provider which (like skype) I can
    just pay £10 quid (or so) and top up my credit to make call. I don't
    want any monthly plans as I like my freedom.

    I know there are several, I'd rather just trust in your experience in
    the subject to point me to the best one. If you came to alt.games.half-
    life I'd do the same.

    Thanks for reading

    peace, love and happiness (with the occasionally bit of harmless
    violence)

    Scottie

    --------------

    It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    outgoing service

    Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
    calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.

    If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for use with
    SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is probably the lowest at 4p
    minute

    RH, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Stri

    Brian A Guest

    >It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    >can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    >outgoing service
    >
    >Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    >voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
    >calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.
    >
    >If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for use with
    >SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is probably the lowest at 4p
    >minute

    voip.co.uk will provide you with a good base for £20/year. You'll get
    inclusive off-peak calls and daytime calls at 2p/call - and a
    geographic number. They have good reliabilty and good quality audio.
    After that, if you want to use other providers for mobile or
    international outgoing calls you can.
    Then you need to consider what you need by way of an ATA.
    Do you want to just get voip on your ATA or do you want to integrate
    it with a landline?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Stri

    Herman Guest

    <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
    >>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
    >>

    > The best around I would say .

    Not if you don't need voip-in. If you just need cheap outgoing calls,
    Betamax companies are often better value, particularly for international and
    mobile.

    Herman, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Stri

    Graham Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in message
    > <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
    >>>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
    >>>

    >> The best around I would say .

    > Not if you don't need voip-in. If you just need cheap outgoing calls,
    > Betamax companies are often better value, particularly for international
    > and mobile.

    The OP should consider using two different providers for OG and IC
    calls, e.g. voipcheap.com and sipgate.co.uk His hardware would
    have to support two accounts of course.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Mar 31, 2007
  8. Stri

    Brian Guest

    On 2007-03-31, Graham <> wrote:

    > "Herman" <> wrote in message
    >> Not if you don't need voip-in. If you just need cheap outgoing calls,
    >> Betamax companies are often better value, particularly for international
    >> and mobile.

    > The OP should consider using two different providers for OG and IC
    > calls, e.g. voipcheap.com and sipgate.co.uk His hardware would
    > have to support two accounts of course.

    For the example given, yes. But not in general.

    Brian.

    Brian, Mar 31, 2007
  9. RH wrote:

    > It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    > can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    > outgoing service

    BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
    besides which, I would expect the majority
    of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls

    > Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    > voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
    > calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.
    >
    > If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for use with
    > SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is probably the lowest at 4p
    > minute

    There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
    mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
    for ever)

    Pete
    http://www.commercial-gym-equipment.co.uk
    http://www.gymratz.co.uk

    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Mar 31, 2007
  10. Stri

    RH Guest

    <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
    >>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
    >>

    > The best around I would say .

    Not if you want to make any kind of international calls,

    using voip.co.uk would bankrupt me as some of the prices they have are daft,
    really daft some calls can be nearly **10** times the cost of others such as
    justvoip.com

    Example calling Lichtenstien mobile (which as it happens a lot of globals
    sims use incluidng those sold at CPW)
    Just voip : £0.073
    Voip.co.uk : £0.714
    On a half hour call Using justvoip would save a massive £19.23

    Swiss mobile which I also call a lot of is also silly at £0.551 , Justvoip :
    £0.073

    The biggest extreme I found which I have to admit I no need to call but find
    the difference huge:
    Wallis and Futuna :
    Voip.co.uk: £3.011
    Justvoip; £0.396
    Difference on half hour call ; £78.45

    RH, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Stri

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:18:06 +0100, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >RH wrote:
    >
    >> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    >> can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    >> outgoing service

    >BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
    > besides which, I would expect the majority
    >of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls
    >
    >> Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    >> voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
    >> calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.
    >>
    >> If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for use with
    >> SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is probably the lowest at 4p
    >> minute

    >There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
    >mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
    >for ever)

    Am I right in thinking that VoipCheap is IAX only though?
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 31, 2007
  12. Stri

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:43:35 +0100, "RH" <>
    wrote:

    ><-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
    >>>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
    >>>

    >> The best around I would say .

    >Not if you want to make any kind of international calls,
    >
    >using voip.co.uk would bankrupt me as some of the prices they have are daft,
    >really daft some calls can be nearly **10** times the cost of others such as
    >justvoip.com

    That is the reason why the majority of people on this group favour the
    use of an unlocked ATA working with more than one provider. That is
    the freedom you get compared to those who are locked into one system.
    For those who find their particular ATA too limiting in this respect
    there is Voxalot.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 31, 2007
  13. Stri

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:18:06 +0100, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    > <> wrote:

    > Am I right in thinking that VoipCheap is IAX only though?

    No. VC is SIP.

    Herman, Mar 31, 2007
  14. On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:15:12 +0100, -ip.co.uk wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
    >>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
    >>

    >The best around I would say .

    Agreed

    Steve in Herts, Mar 31, 2007
  15. Stri

    andy Guest

    On Mar 31, 5:18 am, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:
    > RH wrote:
    > > It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    > > can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    > > outgoing service

    > BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
    > besides which, I would expect the majority
    > of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls
    >
    > > Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    > > voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
    > > calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.

    > > If your going to call call mobiles a lot,www.lowratevoip.comfor use with
    > > SIP devices is pretty good andwww.justvoip.comis probably the lowest at 4p
    > > minute

    > There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
    > mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
    > for ever)

    The post you quoted mentions JustVoip at 4p [5c + vat] at the moment,
    though it is only two weeks old, so your remark would apply here as
    well.

    JV doesn't support using SIP for outgoing calls though, but some DIDs
    (US but not a UK one) can be pointed at it

    andy, Mar 31, 2007
  16. Stri

    andy Guest

    On Mar 31, 1:54 pm, "andy" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 5:18 am, "Pete @www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > RH wrote:
    > > > It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    > > > can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    > > > outgoing service

    > > BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
    > > besides which, I would expect the majority
    > > of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls

    > > > Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    > > > voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
    > > > calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.

    > > > If your going to call call mobiles a lot,www.lowratevoip.comforuse with
    > > > SIP devices is pretty good andwww.justvoip.comisprobably the lowest at 4p
    > > > minute

    > > There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
    > > mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
    > > for ever)

    > The post you quoted mentions JustVoip at 4p [5c + vat] at the moment,
    > though it is only two weeks old, so your remark would apply here as
    > well.
    >
    > JV doesn't support using SIP for outgoing calls though, but some DIDs
    > (US but not a UK one) can be pointed at it- Hide quoted text -

    I should correct myself: a UK DID now works to JV, after some failed
    attempts the other day

    andy, Mar 31, 2007
  17. Brian A wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:18:06 +0100, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> RH wrote:
    >>
    >>> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which
    >>> people can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they
    >>> provide only outgoing service

    >> BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
    >> besides which, I would expect the
    >> majority of users would still retain their PSTN connection for
    >> incoming calls
    >>
    >>> Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
    >>> voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes
    >>> per 7 days calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.
    >>>
    >>> If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for
    >>> use with SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is
    >>> probably the lowest at 4p minute

    >> There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to
    >> UK mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't
    >> last for ever)

    > Am I right in thinking that VoipCheap is IAX only though?
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    No, it's offered SIP for almost as long as it's been going, with the
    newer named services offering it from day one, I use the betamax
    services from a PAP2 ATA.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 31, 2007
  18. Stri

    ts86 Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in message

    > --------------
    >
    > It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
    > can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
    > outgoing service

    I've got a VoIPDiscount account that I actively use. I got it a long time
    ago (when they first opened shop) and have a 0208 incoming landline number.
    Have they changed their policy for new accounts now?

    ts86, Apr 1, 2007
  19. ts86 wrote:
    > "RH" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> --------------
    >>
    >> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which
    >> people can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they
    >> provide only outgoing service
    >>

    > I've got a VoIPDiscount account that I actively use. I got it a long
    > time ago (when they first opened shop) and have a 0208 incoming
    > landline number. Have they changed their policy for new accounts now?

    Yeah, some time back. I also have an incoming number though with sister
    services, VoIP Buster, VoIP Stunt, VoIPCheap and SIP Discount (0121
    numbers, except VB which is 0845).

    It is possible for no fee, to point an 01 or 02 number to any of the
    Betamax services.

    Win Amazon Vouchers:
    http://www.wabbadabba.com/join.aspx?friend=4I9Q6C6X3477

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 1, 2007
  20. Stri

    Stri Guest

    On 30 Mar, 12:12, "Stri" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was just doing some reading up, I'm not that impressed with Skype
    > and I'm looking for alternatives.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/36c2zr
    >
    > VoIPDiscount VoIPCheap & VoIPStunt seem to be the suggested
    > alternative. What I need is a VOIP provider which (like skype) I can
    > just pay £10 quid (or so) and top up my credit to make call. I don't
    > want any monthly plans as I like my freedom.
    >
    > I know there are several, I'd rather just trust in your experience in
    > the subject to point me to the best one. If you came to alt.games.half-
    > life I'd do the same.
    >
    > Thanks for reading
    >
    > peace, love and happiness (with the occasionally bit of harmless
    > violence)
    >
    > Scottie

    Wow, that's a lot to think about. I don't need an incoming line but I
    don't like ambiguity of voipcheap.

    Stri, Apr 1, 2007