    will renew if you make a chargable call?

    --
    this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    Databug, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Databug

    Jono Guest

    Databug has brought this to us :
    > I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the locations that
    > I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry. I assumed
    > VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120 days start again
    > when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the case and the 120 days
    > expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP stunt would be more expensive
    > than my land line as we only make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter. Is
    > there a PC based VOIP service that has free calls to USA UK germany and where
    > the credit doesn't expire? Or will renew if you make a chargable call?

    You don't lose the credit if you top up within the 120 days. Use the
    credit up on chargeable calls you're currently making on your landline.

    Jono, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Databug

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <YFuyg.143611$>, Databug
    <> writes
    >I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the
    >locations that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days
    >till expiry. I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in
    >that the 120 days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this
    >is not the case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end
    >then VOIP stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only
    >make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter.

    My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT) every
    120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But previous credit
    is not lost.

    VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP users,
    but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are better
    value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if you're only
    spending a fiver a quarter on calls.
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

    Martin Jay, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Thus spaketh Martin Jay:
    > In message <YFuyg.143611$>, Databug
    > <> writes
    >> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the
    >> locations that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days
    >> till expiry. I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in
    >> that the 120 days start again when you make a chargeable call. If
    >> this is not the case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at
    >> the end then VOIP stunt would be more expensive than my land line as
    >> we only make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter.

    > My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT) every
    > 120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But previous credit
    > is not lost.
    >
    > VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP
    > users, but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are
    > better value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if
    > you're only spending a fiver a quarter on calls.

    VoIPStunt is €10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
    week which is not bad for what you get.

    But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better off
    from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.

    VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use VoIP
    over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Databug

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-07-28, Databug <> wrote:

    > I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the locations
    > that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry.
    > I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120
    > days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the
    > case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP
    > stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only make about £5
    > worth of calls in a quarter.

    5 GBP a quarter scales up to about 6.70 GBP, which is nearly 10 EUR, for
    four months. So the deal between you and VoipStunt isn't very heavily
    weighted in their favour.

    > Is there a PC based VOIP service that has
    > free calls to USA UK germany and where the credit doesn't expire? Or
    > will renew if you make a chargable call?

    Sorry, can't help you with the name of a specific service but you could
    try a search on your preferred search engine with the terms "bankrupt"
    and "telecom company".

    Brian.

    Brian, Jul 28, 2006
  6. Databug

    Databug Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Martin Jay:
    >> In message <YFuyg.143611$>, Databug
    >> <> writes
    >>> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the
    >>> locations that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days
    >>> till expiry. I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in
    >>> that the 120 days start again when you make a chargeable call. If
    >>> this is not the case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at
    >>> the end then VOIP stunt would be more expensive than my land line as
    >>> we only make about £5 worth of calls in a quarter.

    >> My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT) every
    >> 120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But previous credit
    >> is not lost.
    >>
    >> VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP
    >> users, but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are
    >> better value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if
    >> you're only spending a fiver a quarter on calls.

    > VoIPStunt is €10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
    > week which is not bad for what you get.
    >
    > But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better off
    > from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
    >
    > VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use VoIP
    > over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

    Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you don't
    use it up within the 120 days specified.

    --
    this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    Databug, Jul 29, 2006
  7. Databug

    Jono Guest

    "Databug" <> wrote in message

    > So basically you do lose the money if you don't use it up within the 120
    > days specified.

    Not entirely accurate. If you don't top up *or* don't use the credit, you
    lose it.

    Jono, Jul 29, 2006
  8. Databug

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-07-29, Databug <> wrote:

    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> VoIPStunt is ?10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
    >> week which is not bad for what you get.
    >>
    >> But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better off
    >> from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
    >>
    >> VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use VoIP
    >> over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

    > Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you don't
    > use it up within the 120 days specified.

    Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
    days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a service.
    You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give them some
    more money.

    Brian.

    Brian, Jul 29, 2006
  9. "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-29, Databug <> wrote:
    >
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>> VoIPStunt is ?10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
    >>> week which is not bad for what you get.
    >>>
    >>> But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better
    >>> off
    >>> from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
    >>>
    >>> VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use
    >>> VoIP
    >>> over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month saved.

    >> Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you
    >> don't
    >> use it up within the 120 days specified.

    > Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
    > days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a
    > service.
    > You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give them some
    > more money.

    Not quite. You pay for credits to your account, and VoipStunt decide
    that the money is theirs if you don't use it in 120 days, unless you add
    more credits before the 120 days expire.

    Harry Stottle, Jul 29, 2006
  10. Databug

    Jono Guest

    Harry Stottle submitted this idea :
    > "Brian" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you don't
    >>> use it up within the 120 days specified.

    >> Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
    >> days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a service.
    >> You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give them some
    >> more money.
    >>

    > Not quite. You pay for credits to your account, and VoipStunt decide that the
    > money is theirs if you don't use it in 120 days, unless you add more credits
    > before the 120 days expire.

    Semantics.

    As soon as the account is credited, it (the money) belongs to
    Voipstunt.

    The account holder can choose to use it on chargeable calls, or not.
    Either way, it's firmly in Betamax's account as soon as the account is
    credited.

    Jono, Jul 29, 2006
  11. Databug

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <7Zvyg.108641$>,
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> writes
    >VoIPStunt is €10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
    >week which is not bad for what you get.

    Oh yes, euros instead of pounds. Making it even better value than
    <http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/> :)
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877

    Martin Jay, Jul 29, 2006
  12. Thus spaketh Databug:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Martin Jay:
    >>> In message <YFuyg.143611$>, Databug
    >>> <> writes
    >>>
    >>> My understanding is that you have to top up with a tenner (+VAT)
    >>> every 120 days to get 300 'free' call minutes per week. But
    >>> previous credit is not lost.
    >>>
    >>> VOIP is great if you're chatting over the Internet to other VOIP
    >>> users, but often indirect telcos, such as http://www.1899.com/, are
    >>> better value for calling 'ordinary' phone numbers, especially if
    >>> you're only spending a fiver a quarter on calls.

    >> VoIPStunt is €10 (10 Euro) + 16% VAT, works out at about 50pence per
    >> week which is not bad for what you get.
    >>
    >> But if only making a few calls then as been posted you'd be better
    >> off from a BT line using 1899 and also 18185.
    >>
    >> VoIP Stunt is great for me as I don't have a landline, I just use
    >> VoIP over a cable broadband connection, so that's £11 per month
    >> saved.

    > Thanks for the replys. So basically you do loose the money if you
    > don't use it up within the 120 days specified.

    If you top up again before the 120 days is up you get to keep the
    previous credit you have left.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 29, 2006
  13. Databug

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-07-29, Harry Stottle <> wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> Not quite. The money ceased to be yours at the beginning of the 120
    >> days. You gave it to VoipStunt. In return they offered you a
    >> service. You lose the service at the end of 120 days unless you give
    >> them some more money.

    > Not quite. You pay for credits to your account, and VoipStunt decide
    > that the money is theirs if you don't use it in 120 days, unless you add
    > more credits before the 120 days expire.

    Ok, I'll go with the idea of paying for credits. 10 EUR has been given
    to VoipStunt for these credits and in exchange they will allow me to
    phone any of the destinations they advertise. By paying them I agree to
    the 120 day condition you describe. I decide the money is theirs whether
    or not I use the credits.

    Brian.

    Brian, Jul 29, 2006
  14. Databug

    Databug Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 2006-07-28, Databug <> wrote:
    >
    >> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the locations
    >> that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry.
    >> I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120
    >> days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the
    >> case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP
    >> stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only make about £5
    >> worth of calls in a quarter.

    > 5 GBP a quarter scales up to about 6.70 GBP, which is nearly 10 EUR, for
    > four months. So the deal between you and VoipStunt isn't very heavily
    > weighted in their favour.

    By the way firstly I'd like to thank you all for the help and advice and
    I am now as confused as ever :). But I have also signed up for 1899 just
    to try that out too.

    I'm not suggesting that voip is ripping anyone off their service is
    genuinely cheap however it's not quite the service i had in mind for our
    usages if I loose my credit (credit not money for the nitpickers) after
    120 days. Skypes service with regards their billing and credit, on that
    front is better for my usages even though it's more expensive in the
    first place.

    >> Is there a PC based VOIP service that has
    >> free calls to USA UK germany and where the credit doesn't expire? Or
    >> will renew if you make a chargable call?

    > Sorry, can't help you with the name of a specific service but you could
    > try a search on your preferred search engine with the terms "bankrupt"
    > and "telecom company".

    :)

    --
    this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    Databug, Jul 29, 2006
  15. Databug

    Nick Guest

    "Databug" <> wrote in message
    > Brian wrote:
    > > On 2006-07-28, Databug <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I signed up with VOIP stunt because of the free calls. All the

    locations
    > >> that I need are free. However I just noticed this 120 days till expiry.
    > >> I assumed VOIP Stunt worked in a similar way to Skype in that the 120
    > >> days start again when you make a chargeable call. If this is not the
    > >> case and the 120 days expire and your credits go at the end then VOIP
    > >> stunt would be more expensive than my land line as we only make about

    £5
    > >> worth of calls in a quarter.

    > > 5 GBP a quarter scales up to about 6.70 GBP, which is nearly 10 EUR, for
    > > four months. So the deal between you and VoipStunt isn't very heavily
    > > weighted in their favour.

    > By the way firstly I'd like to thank you all for the help and advice and
    > I am now as confused as ever :). But I have also signed up for 1899 just
    > to try that out too.
    >
    > I'm not suggesting that voip is ripping anyone off their service is
    > genuinely cheap however it's not quite the service i had in mind for our
    > usages if I loose my credit (credit not money for the nitpickers) after
    > 120 days. Skypes service with regards their billing and credit, on that
    > front is better for my usages even though it's more expensive in the
    > first place.
    >

    > >> Is there a PC based VOIP service that has
    > >> free calls to USA UK germany and where the credit doesn't expire? Or
    > >> will renew if you make a chargable call?

    > > Sorry, can't help you with the name of a specific service but you could
    > > try a search on your preferred search engine with the terms "bankrupt"
    > > and "telecom company".

    > :)
    >
    > --
    > this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    You'll end up way out of pocket if you keep signing
    up with other providers. If you're happy with BT and
    the charges related to them, stick with them.

    Nick, Jul 29, 2006
  16. Thus spaketh Nick:
    > "Databug" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian wrote:

    >>> 5 GBP a quarter scales up to about 6.70 GBP, which is nearly 10
    >>> EUR, for four months. So the deal between you and VoipStunt isn't
    >>> very heavily weighted in their favour.

    >> By the way firstly I'd like to thank you all for the help and advice
    >> and I am now as confused as ever :). But I have also signed up for
    >> 1899 just to try that out too.
    >>
    >> I'm not suggesting that voip is ripping anyone off their service is
    >> genuinely cheap however it's not quite the service i had in mind for
    >> our usages if I loose my credit (credit not money for the
    >> nitpickers) after 120 days. Skypes service with regards their
    >> billing and credit, on that front is better for my usages even
    >> though it's more expensive in the first place.

    >>> Sorry, can't help you with the name of a specific service but you
    >>> could try a search on your preferred search engine with the terms
    >>> "bankrupt" and "telecom company".

    >> :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    > You'll end up way out of pocket if you keep signing
    > up with other providers. If you're happy with BT and
    > the charges related to them, stick with them.

    Why?

    1899 costs nothing to sign up or per month, you just pay for the calls
    you pass through them, UK landlines are 3 pence per call!!

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 29, 2006
  17. Databug

    Databug Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Nick:
    >> "Databug" <> wrote in message

    >>> By the way firstly I'd like to thank you all for the help and advice
    >>> and I am now as confused as ever :). But I have also signed up for
    >>> 1899 just to try that out too.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not suggesting that voip is ripping anyone off their service is
    >>> genuinely cheap however it's not quite the service i had in mind for
    >>> our usages if I loose my credit (credit not money for the
    >>> nitpickers) after 120 days. Skypes service with regards their
    >>> billing and credit, on that front is better for my usages even
    >>> though it's more expensive in the first place.

    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    >> You'll end up way out of pocket if you keep signing
    >> up with other providers. If you're happy with BT and
    >> the charges related to them, stick with them.

    > Why?
    >
    > 1899 costs nothing to sign up or per month, you just pay for the calls
    > you pass through them, UK landlines are 3 pence per call!!

    that's what I thought. I have nothing to loose. even if we forget to
    dial the 1899 it's still no loss. For the moment at least I don't feel
    ready to do the total drop the telco switch to cable and sign up with
    voip. One day when I find the right service and when voip is well
    established then that will be the route I will go down (as I hate paying
    all that line charge) but for now with skype voipstunt and 1899 will
    save enough money for the mo. Hopefully If I just pay BT the line charge
    for now and then eventually I'll drop them altogether.

    --
    this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    Databug, Jul 29, 2006
  18. Thus spaketh Databug:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Nick:
    >>> "Databug" <> wrote in message

    >>> You'll end up way out of pocket if you keep signing
    >>> up with other providers. If you're happy with BT and
    >>> the charges related to them, stick with them.

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> 1899 costs nothing to sign up or per month, you just pay for the
    >> calls you pass through them, UK landlines are 3 pence per call!!
    >>

    > that's what I thought. I have nothing to loose. even if we forget to
    > dial the 1899 it's still no loss. For the moment at least I don't feel
    > ready to do the total drop the telco switch to cable and sign up with
    > voip. One day when I find the right service and when voip is well
    > established then that will be the route I will go down (as I hate
    > paying all that line charge) but for now with skype voipstunt and
    > 1899 will save enough money for the mo. Hopefully If I just pay BT
    > the line charge for now and then eventually I'll drop them altogether.

    I dropped the BT line about a year ago, and just use VoIP over my cable
    broadband, I look at it as paying £2 per month to VoIP Stunt for my
    'line rental' and get 1,200 minutes of free calls, I also use Sipgate.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 29, 2006
  19. Databug

    Databug Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Databug:
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>> Thus spaketh Nick:

    >>> Why?
    >>>
    >>> 1899 costs nothing to sign up or per month, you just pay for the
    >>> calls you pass through them, UK landlines are 3 pence per call!!
    >>>

    >> that's what I thought. I have nothing to loose. even if we forget to
    >> dial the 1899 it's still no loss. For the moment at least I don't feel
    >> ready to do the total drop the telco switch to cable and sign up with
    >> voip. One day when I find the right service and when voip is well
    >> established then that will be the route I will go down (as I hate
    >> paying all that line charge) but for now with skype voipstunt and
    >> 1899 will save enough money for the mo. Hopefully If I just pay BT
    >> the line charge for now and then eventually I'll drop them altogether.

    > I dropped the BT line about a year ago, and just use VoIP over my cable
    > broadband, I look at it as paying £2 per month to VoIP Stunt for my
    > 'line rental' and get 1,200 minutes of free calls, I also use Sipgate.

    I'm teetering with the whole voip thing. If it was just me I'd go for it
    but my wife hates technology and she hates PC's and all that kind of
    thing. She's the main bill payer and she's a little apprehensive so far.
    I thought I'd break her in gently with the likes of skype and now with
    1899. She'll come round in time. The only thing that worries me about
    VOIP and that worries my wife is that if internet goes down so does your
    phone. Also with sipgate wich was a company I was looking at, there seem
    to be occasional connection problems and other issues that i've seen on
    this list.

    --
    this post has been brought to you by the Databug©

    Databug, Jul 29, 2006
  20. Thus spaketh Databug:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Databug:

    >>> that's what I thought. I have nothing to loose. even if we forget to
    >>> dial the 1899 it's still no loss. For the moment at least I don't
    >>> feel ready to do the total drop the telco switch to cable and sign
    >>> up with voip. One day when I find the right service and when voip
    >>> is well established then that will be the route I will go down (as
    >>> I hate paying all that line charge) but for now with skype
    >>> voipstunt and 1899 will save enough money for the mo. Hopefully If
    >>> I just pay BT the line charge for now and then eventually I'll drop
    >>> them altogether.

    >> I dropped the BT line about a year ago, and just use VoIP over my
    >> cable broadband, I look at it as paying £2 per month to VoIP Stunt
    >> for my 'line rental' and get 1,200 minutes of free calls, I also use
    >> Sipgate.

    > I'm teetering with the whole voip thing. If it was just me I'd go for
    > it but my wife hates technology and she hates PC's and all that kind
    > of thing. She's the main bill payer and she's a little apprehensive
    > so far. I thought I'd break her in gently with the likes of skype and
    > now with 1899. She'll come round in time. The only thing that worries
    > me about VOIP and that worries my wife is that if internet goes down
    > so does your phone. Also with sipgate wich was a company I was
    > looking at, there seem to be occasional connection problems and other
    > issues that i've seen on this list.

    I use a PAP2 ATA this connects to my router so no need for PC to be on
    to make and receive calls, this I have wired into my old BT wiring, so
    it appears to everyone that it is an ordinary phone line.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 29, 2006