  1. Dellboy

    Dellboy Guest

    Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?
    Dellboy, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh Dellboy:
    > Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?

    Yes, but only to a limited number of areas, such as 0121 Birmingham, 020
    London.

    They seem to cover major cities, outside these areas you get an 0560 number.

    --
    http://www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Dellboy

    Scope Guest

    Dellboy wrote:
    > Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?

    Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208 number.
    (london address)
    Scope, Mar 27, 2006
  4. {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Scope:
    >> Dellboy wrote:
    >>> Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?
    >>>

    >> Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208 number.
    >> (london address)

    > Surely you mean an 020 number.

    Err no, since 020 covers Portsmouth, Southampton and IIRC some of
    northern Ireland as well (probably other places), 0207 and 0208 replaced
    0171 and 0181.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh Scope:

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Dellboy

    Scope Guest

    Scope wrote:
    > Dellboy wrote:
    >> Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?
    >>

    > Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208 number.
    > (london address)

    Sorry, my mistake, I signed up for VoIPDiscount, not stunt.. Too many
    companies to keep track of now. ;-)

    But still, probably the same pool of numbers.
    Scope, Mar 27, 2006
  7. Dellboy

    Dellboy Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > They seem to cover major cities, outside these areas you get an 0560
    > number.

    Ok, cheers for that.

    They seem to hide the fact until you actually pay some money to get your
    *free* number.

    Was worried about the 0560 number so may lie to get the 020 number.
    Dellboy, Mar 27, 2006
  8. Thus spaketh Thomas Kenyon:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Scope:
    >>>>

    >>> Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208
    >>> number. (london address)

    >> Surely you mean an 020 number.
    >>

    > Err no, since 020 covers Portsmouth, Southampton and IIRC some of
    > northern Ireland as well (probably other places), 0207 and 0208
    > replaced 0171 and 0181.

    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

    Another one who is confused!

    020 replaced 0171 and 0181.

    There are no areas codes as 0207 or 0208 only 020.

    If you are in London try dialling 020 7043 1320 (Correct number) this will
    work.

    However if you dial your so called local number 043 1320 (as you say the
    area code is 0207, so dialling locally you can omit the area code) it will
    fail to connect, because it is missing a digit of the local number.

    London area code is 020.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006
  9. Thus spaketh Scope:
    > Scope wrote:
    >> Dellboy wrote:
    >>> Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?
    >>>

    >> Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208 number.
    >> (london address)

    > Sorry, my mistake, I signed up for VoIPDiscount, not stunt.. Too many
    > companies to keep track of now. ;-)
    >
    > But still, probably the same pool of numbers.

    Yes, exactly same pool of numbers.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006
  10. "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    > Err no, since 020 covers Portsmouth, Southampton and IIRC some of
    > northern Ireland as well (probably other places), 0207 and 0208 replaced
    > 0171 and 0181.

    No, 020 is London

    Portsmouth is 023
    Northern ireland is 028

    Steve
    Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
    Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
    t: 08456 388 955 | f: 08456 388 956 | e:
    Steve @ Aceinternet, Mar 27, 2006
  11. Thus spaketh Dellboy:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >> They seem to cover major cities, outside these areas you get an 0560
    >> number.
    >>

    > Ok, cheers for that.
    >
    > They seem to hide the fact until you actually pay some money to get
    > your *free* number.
    >
    > Was worried about the 0560 number so may lie to get the 020 number.

    Yeah, that's the problem, you don't know until you have 'collected' the
    number, what number range you will receive.

    Luckily they have 0121 Birmingham, which is what I needed, I think they did
    have Leeds and possibly Sheffield.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006
  12. {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!
    >
    > Another one who is confused!

    Sorry absolutely right, my mistake.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006
  13. Steve @ Aceinternet wrote:
    > "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in message
    >> Err no, since 020 covers Portsmouth, Southampton and IIRC some of
    >> northern Ireland as well (probably other places), 0207 and 0208 replaced
    >> 0171 and 0181.

    > No, 020 is London
    >
    > Portsmouth is 023
    > Northern ireland is 028
    >
    > Steve

    Portsmouth and Southampton is 023 (that's where it gets confusing).

    A call from one to the other isn't considered a local call (certainly
    never used to be since there is a nice blanket of exchanges inbetween,
    like the Fareham and Bishops Waltham ones.)

    Prevously they were 01705 and 01703.

    It makes life simpler to think of them as 02392 and 02380 respectively.
    (as BT seem to on http://www.bt.com/localarea/ which states that I was
    wrong above and now they are local to each other and also calls 01489
    the Fareham exchange and it's always been referred to as either
    Locks-Heath, Botley or Bishops Waltham, only one of which area is
    considered to be Fareham.)
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006
  14. Thus spaketh Thomas Kenyon:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!
    >>
    >> Another one who is confused!
    >>

    > Sorry absolutely right, my mistake.

    No worries!
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006
  15. Dellboy

    Scope Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Scope:
    >> Dellboy wrote:
    >>> Just looking at Voip Stunt, is it a Geographic number they supply?
    >>>

    >> Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208 number.
    >> (london address)

    > Surely you mean an 020 number.

    no I mean 0208.. as far as I was aware 0207 is inner london, 0208 is
    outer london.. I might be wrong though.. I dont know if 0208 is an
    official area code, but I think the audience gets the idea. :)
    Scope, Mar 27, 2006
  16. Thus spaketh Scope:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Scope:
    >>>>

    >>> Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208
    >>> number. (london address)

    >> Surely you mean an 020 number.
    >>

    > no I mean 0208.. as far as I was aware 0207 is inner london, 0208 is
    > outer london.. I might be wrong though.. I dont know if 0208 is an
    > official area code, but I think the audience gets the idea. :)

    No such area code as 0208 or 0207, only one area code of 020.

    Local numbers can start 3, 7 or 8, or any other number when they decide to
    add other number ranges.

    Inner / outer London distinction disappeared when 0171 and 0181 became 020.

    As you can see Ivor's speaking clock is 020 7043 1320

    If you live in you so called 0207 area, you try calling 043 1320 - you can't
    as you have missed the 7 off the local number, 7043 1320 will work fine.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 27, 2006
  17. Dellboy

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Scope writes
    >{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Scope:
    >>>>

    >>> Depends on your area.. I signed up last night and got an 0208 number.
    >>> (london address)

    >> Surely you mean an 020 number.

    >no I mean 0208.. as far as I was aware 0207 is inner london, 0208 is
    >outer london.. I might be wrong though..

    Yes you are! (Wrong, that is)

    >I dont know if 0208 is an official area code,

    No it's not. The official area code is 020

    DF
    David Floyd, Mar 27, 2006
  18. Dellboy

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Thomas Kenyon writes
    >Portsmouth and Southampton is 023 (that's where it gets confusing).
    >
    >A call from one to the other isn't considered a local call

    Does that matter, since the call charge is the same!?
    DF
    David Floyd, Mar 27, 2006
  19. {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > If you live in you so called 0207 area, you try calling 043 1320 - you can't
    > as you have missed the 7 off the local number, 7043 1320 will work fine.

    Can I further complicate the matter by stating that last time I tried
    it, you can't dial 92xxxxxx from a Southampton line to call Portsmouth
    (or 80xxxxxx to call Southampton from a Portsmouth line). (see previous
    post for distinction).

    A long time ago you could dial 92xxxxxx to call Fareham (01329) from
    Portsmouth though.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006
  20. David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Thomas Kenyon writes
    >> Portsmouth and Southampton is 023 (that's where it gets confusing).
    >>
    >> A call from one to the other isn't considered a local call

    > Does that matter, since the call charge is the same!?
    > DF

    It depends how you're calling it doesn't it.
    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006