  1. I have cable internet access in NY.
    I'm considering getting a VoIP service.
    When I download large files, will the VoIP sound quality diminish?

    Arctic Inferno, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Arctic Inferno

    wkearney99 Guest

    > I have cable internet access in NY.
    > I'm considering getting a VoIP service.
    > When I download large files, will the VoIP sound quality diminish?

    If you overrun the available bandwidth then yes it'll potentially be altered
    or even interrupted. You can help mitigate this by using a VoIP gateway
    that has the first connection to the cable modem and uses QoS to make sure
    it always has enough.

    wkearney99, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Arctic Inferno

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "wkearney99" <> writes:

    >> I have cable internet access in NY.
    >> I'm considering getting a VoIP service.
    >> When I download large files, will the VoIP sound quality diminish?

    >If you overrun the available bandwidth then yes it'll potentially be altered
    >or even interrupted. You can help mitigate this by using a VoIP gateway
    >that has the first connection to the cable modem and uses QoS to make sure
    >it always has enough.

    Yeah, my wife was...well, not happy...when I would move Torrents
    around while she was on the phone. So I implemented traffic
    shaping. Life is much better now.

    The Linksys WRT54G (with OpenWRT) works well for this if you just
    want something small and simple (and cheap).

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Apr 12, 2005