VoIP Solution

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Pred02, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Pred02

    Pred02 Guest

    I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
    was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like
    to make the solution as ubiquitous as possible, using a regular
    telephone handset rather than computer speaker and microphone.

    What would be the recommended setup.
    1) Should I buy a VOIP phone such as Olympia USB Cordless phone
    2) Buy a SKYPE USB to RJ11 adapter and then hookup a regular cordless
    phone of my choice?
    3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
    with the regular coordless phone?

    In addition, I will most definantely use SkyPeOut, but I am also
    curious if I get SkyPeIN service as well, which of these will support
    Caller ID function?

    I am in the US.

    Kind regards,
    George B.

    Pred02, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Pred02

    Martin² Guest

    Skype is just software and different to any other VoIP telephony, it will
    only work with an computer ON.
    ATA's like Sipura won't work with Skype ! They plug directly in to an
    ethernet port of a router and work independently from a computer, with SIP
    based VoIP services.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 29, 2005

  3. Pred02

    Pred02 Guest

    Ok, but what is then recommended in terms of this service?

    Kind regards,
    George

    Pred02, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Pred02

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Pred02 <> wrote:
    > I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
    > was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like
    > to make the solution as ubiquitous as possible, using a regular
    > telephone handset rather than computer speaker and microphone.

    Then Skype is the wrong answer. Almost any other VoIP provider will do. Most
    of them are cheaper than Skype anyway.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jul 29, 2005
  6. >I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
    >was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like
    >to make the solution as ubiquitous as possible, using a regular
    >telephone handset rather than computer speaker and microphone.

    I think you should tell us in slightly more detail what the problem is
    that you're looking to solve. Do you have very high LD bills? Do you
    want lots of fancy phone features? Do you prefer a kind of phone
    service where 911 doesn't work? Do you just hate Verizon? Do you
    want to keep a local Boston number?

    >1) Should I buy a VOIP phone such as Olympia USB Cordless phone

    I doubt it.

    >2) Buy a SKYPE USB to RJ11 adapter and then hookup a regular cordless
    >phone of my choice?

    That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

    >3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
    >with the regular coordless phone?

    There's not much point until you know what service you want to use it
    with. I agree with the comment that Skype is probably not what you want.

    If you want VoIP service that resembles your POTS service, sign up
    with pretty much any VoIP carrier other than Skype, get a terminal
    adapter, find the place on your house where the Verizon line comes in
    and unhook it, then plug a cord from your VoIP phone to the house
    wiring, and it'll run your current phones so long as there aren't too
    many of them. That's what I do with Lingo, driving two or three
    phones. Works pretty well and is definitely cheaper than POTS for
    my calling pattern.

    John R. Levine, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Pred02

    Pred02 Guest

    > There's not much point until you know what service you want to use it
    > with. I agree with the comment that Skype is probably not what you want.
    >
    > If you want VoIP service that resembles your POTS service, sign up
    > with pretty much any VoIP carrier other than Skype, get a terminal
    > adapter, find the place on your house where the Verizon line comes in
    > and unhook it, then plug a cord from your VoIP phone to the house
    > wiring, and it'll run your current phones so long as there aren't too
    > many of them. That's what I do with Lingo, driving two or three
    > phones. Works pretty well and is definitely cheaper than POTS for
    > my calling pattern.

    The bulk of our telephone charges come from the international calls,
    which include pretty much all of Europe and especially East Europe
    (Serbia, Croatia) There we have family and we call pretty regulary.

    I am not sure how much lower would the international rates be, since in
    the US the market is very saturated and they provide much cheaper phone
    calls to begin with.

    I am not as interested in having another Boston number, but if I was to
    go with a VoIP number, I would perhaps choose a UK number as there I
    lived for a while and have many friends.

    So you are suggesting a SIP provider and getting some equipment? If
    possible, can you please recommend a good provider given my needs above
    as well as a decent priced converter so I can hook up the telephone. I
    understand there are RJ45 to RJ11 adapters that I can hookup to my
    broadband router.

    Kind regards,
    george B.

    Pred02, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Pred02

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Pred02 wrote:

    > I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I
    > was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like
    > to make the solution as ubiquitous as possible, using a regular
    > telephone handset rather than computer speaker and microphone.
    >

    > What would be the recommended setup.
    > 1) Should I buy a VOIP phone such as Olympia USB Cordless phone
    > 2) Buy a SKYPE USB to RJ11 adapter and then hookup a regular cordless
    > phone of my choice?
    > 3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that
    > with the regular coordless phone?
    >

    > In addition, I will most definantely use SkyPeOut, but I am also
    > curious if I get SkyPeIN service as well, which of these will support
    > Caller ID function?
    >

    > I am in the US.
    >

    > Kind regards,
    > George B.

    I strongly recommend ATT CallVantage: $29/mo. free LD free local
    answering machine, call waiting, voice mail by e-mail if desired, more...

    Rick Merrill, Jul 29, 2005
  9. Pred02

    ubifone Guest

    Dear Friend,

    If you want to be able to get the best and all the services in all, please
    do visit http://www.uninumber.ubifone.com/ .

    For further questions, please do contact me on

    Wish you all the best.

    Sam.
    -------------------------------------

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

    ubifone, Jul 29, 2005
  10. Pred02

    Martin² Guest

    If you want a free UK number then you should register with sipgate.co.uk
    using a UK proxy,
    or get somebody in UK to do it.
    If you get your friends in UK (or anywhere) to use sipgate or one of their
    peer partners
    (Free World Dialup etc.) then you can have entirely free calls with them.
    Otherwise you can pre-pay for calls to PSTN UK or International numbers.

    You can use soft phone like Xten Lite to start with.
    Probably the best ATA to get is one of the Sipura range, but they are not
    cheap.
    Linksys PAP2 should be good enough, but as I understand it the ones sold in
    US are locked to Vonage, but here in UK they are available unlocked.
    By far the best solution is a router with built in VoIP ports because they
    will have QoS which will give priority to voice traffic, e.g. Draytek Vigor
    2500V, 2600V , Zyxel 2602HW/L of Zoom X5V.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 30, 2005
  11. >The bulk of our telephone charges come from the international calls,
    >which include pretty much all of Europe and especially East Europe
    >(Serbia, Croatia) There we have family and we call pretty regulary.

    >I am not as interested in having another Boston number, but if I was to
    >go with a VoIP number, I would perhaps choose a UK number as there I
    >lived for a while and have many friends. ...

    I still can't tell can't tell what problem you want to solve. If you
    just want to make a lot of cheap calls to Europe, look at Lingo or
    Boradvoice or iconnecthere, all of which have plans that include free
    calling to much of Europe and reasonable rates to the Balkans, around
    8 cpm to Croatia, 13 cpm to Serbia. Most offer local numbers in the UK,
    albeit often at extra cost.

    If you don't care if anyone can call you on your VoIP, also look at
    Net2phone's PC->phone service which is quite cheap.

    >So you are suggesting a SIP provider and getting some equipment?

    No, I'm just suggesting getting a SIP provider. As I've said at least
    three times now, the provider gives you equipment that works with
    their service.

    R's,
    John

    John R. Levine, Jul 30, 2005