voip software?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by dwdw1, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. dwdw1

    dwdw1 Guest

    Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the best free
    software - any suggestions?
    cheers
    DW
     
    dwdw1, Aug 25, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. dwdw1

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "dwdw1" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the
    > best free software - any suggestions?
    > cheers
    > DW


    It depends on your provider, but X-Lite (www.xten.com) is a good start.

    A better option though IMHO is an ATA and an ordinary phone, rather than
    having to have a computer running.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Aug 25, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. dwdw1

    paul123 Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "dwdw1" <> wrote in message
    > news:
    > > Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the
    > > best free software - any suggestions?
    > > cheers
    > > DW

    >
    > It depends on your provider, but X-Lite (www.xten.com) is a good start.
    >
    > A better option though IMHO is an ATA and an ordinary phone, rather than
    > having to have a computer running.
    >
    > Ivor


    Yes, agreed. My first contact with voip was using a softphone and a
    headphone/mic combination. I was quite amazed. However, within a week I
    had ordered a SIP phone. With hindsight I'd have gone for an ATA as
    Ivor suggests. Of course, if you don't already have a router to plug it
    into, this could cost a bit more. In that case you might consider a
    voip capable router.

    ATA = analogue telephone adaptor
     
    paul123, Aug 25, 2006
    #3
  4. dwdw1

    dwdw1 Guest

    Many thanks I've never heard of the ata before . I'll have to look into
    that. Any ideas where i can get some information?
    cheers
    DW
    paul123 wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > "dwdw1" <> wrote in message
    > > news:
    > > > Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the
    > > > best free software - any suggestions?
    > > > cheers
    > > > DW

    > >
    > > It depends on your provider, but X-Lite (www.xten.com) is a good start.
    > >
    > > A better option though IMHO is an ATA and an ordinary phone, rather than
    > > having to have a computer running.
    > >
    > > Ivor

    >
    > Yes, agreed. My first contact with voip was using a softphone and a
    > headphone/mic combination. I was quite amazed. However, within a week I
    > had ordered a SIP phone. With hindsight I'd have gone for an ATA as
    > Ivor suggests. Of course, if you don't already have a router to plug it
    > into, this could cost a bit more. In that case you might consider a
    > voip capable router.
    >
    > ATA = analogue telephone adaptor
     
    dwdw1, Aug 25, 2006
    #4
  5. dwdw1

    dwdw1 Guest

    Just thought, any suggestions on 'best' sip provider?
    dwdw1 wrote:
    > Many thanks I've never heard of the ata before . I'll have to look into
    > that. Any ideas where i can get some information?
    > cheers
    > DW
    > paul123 wrote:
    > > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > > "dwdw1" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:
    > > > > Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the
    > > > > best free software - any suggestions?
    > > > > cheers
    > > > > DW
    > > >
    > > > It depends on your provider, but X-Lite (www.xten.com) is a good start.
    > > >
    > > > A better option though IMHO is an ATA and an ordinary phone, rather than
    > > > having to have a computer running.
    > > >
    > > > Ivor

    > >
    > > Yes, agreed. My first contact with voip was using a softphone and a
    > > headphone/mic combination. I was quite amazed. However, within a week I
    > > had ordered a SIP phone. With hindsight I'd have gone for an ATA as
    > > Ivor suggests. Of course, if you don't already have a router to plug it
    > > into, this could cost a bit more. In that case you might consider a
    > > voip capable router.
    > >
    > > ATA = analogue telephone adaptor
     
    dwdw1, Aug 25, 2006
    #5
  6. dwdw1

    Jono Guest

    dwdw1 expressed precisely :
    > Just thought, any suggestions on 'best' sip provider?


    Best, cheapest?

    Best, most reliable?

    Best, most features?
     
    Jono, Aug 25, 2006
    #6
  7. dwdw1

    dwdw1 Guest

    'best' in any of those ways, hence the use of speechmarks around the
    word 'best' to imply that this would have different meanings to
    different people. So if you have any suggestions in terms of features
    price or reliablity, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise a group specialising
    in semantics would be worth looking at.
    Jono wrote:
    > dwdw1 expressed precisely :
    > > Just thought, any suggestions on 'best' sip provider?

    >
    > Best, cheapest?
    >
    > Best, most reliable?
    >
    > Best, most features?
     
    dwdw1, Aug 25, 2006
    #7
  8. dwdw1

    Jono Guest

    dwdw1 has brought this to us :
    > 'best' in any of those ways, hence the use of speechmarks around the
    > word 'best' to imply that this would have different meanings to
    > different people. So if you have any suggestions in terms of features
    > price or reliablity, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise a group specialising
    > in semantics would be worth looking at.
    > Jono wrote:
    >> dwdw1 expressed precisely :
    >>> Just thought, any suggestions on 'best' sip provider?

    >>
    >> Best, cheapest?
    >>
    >> Best, most reliable?
    >>
    >> Best, most features?


    Probably gradwell or voipfone(?) are quite highly thought of, though I
    have no experience. Both can import a BT number.

    Sipgate - cheap as chips - incoming number free - outgoing PAYG - been
    known to have occasional reliability issues - online support only

    voip.co.uk - very good landline call packages - free incoming number
    like Sipgate but they need £10 credit to open your account - never had
    any reliability issues - occasional billing probs which do get resolved
    - telephone support available.

    Then there's the plethora of Betamax franchises - voipstunt,
    sipdiscount, internetcalls, voipcheap (.com & .co.uk) - multitude of
    tariffs, prices can change at any time - not issuing incoming numbers
    at the moment
     
    Jono, Aug 25, 2006
    #8
  9. dwdw1

    Brian A Guest

    On 25 Aug 2006 08:43:01 -0700, "dwdw1" <> wrote:

    >Many thanks I've never heard of the ata before . I'll have to look into
    >that. Any ideas where i can get some information?
    >cheers

    Sipura/linksys SPA-3000 if you want to run in conjunction with an
    existing landline AND if you want something that is very configurable.
    Also consider Fritzbox.

    Linksys PAP2 if you want 2 independent lines (no landline)
    Sipura/Linksys SPA-1001 if you want 2 lines into a single set of
    handsets (again no landline).

    Some ATAs can interface between a modem and computer if you don't have
    a router. If you are about to buy a router look for one with 'QoS' or
    equivalent.

    Checkout manufacturers' web sites.
    Suppliers - can Froogle but broadbandstuff.co.uk seems to be
    competitive.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Aug 25, 2006
    #9
  10. dwdw1

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "dwdw1" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > 'best' in any of those ways, hence the use of speechmarks
    > around the word 'best' to imply that this would have
    > different meanings to different people. So if you have
    > any suggestions in terms of features price or reliablity,
    > I'd appreciate it. Otherwise a group specialising in
    > semantics would be worth looking at.


    It all depends on your usage requirements. If you can give more info on
    what you want, we may be able to advise further.

    BTW could I ask that you don't top post in this group..? The convention
    here is bottom posting.

    Thanks,

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Aug 26, 2006
    #10
  11. dwdw1

    The Invalid Guest

    On 25 Aug 2006 06:34:54 -0700, "dwdw1" <> wrote:

    >Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the best free
    >software - any suggestions?
    >cheers
    >DW



    SKYPE
     
    The Invalid, Aug 27, 2006
    #11
  12. dwdw1

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:25:35 +0100, The Invalid
    <> wrote:

    >On 25 Aug 2006 06:34:54 -0700, "dwdw1" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I'm complete;y new to voip, and now I'm lookng for the best free
    >>software - any suggestions?
    >>cheers
    >>DW

    >
    >
    >SKYPE

    Ughhh! Please no swearing!

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Aug 27, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,210
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo
    Dec 12, 2005
  2. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    889
    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo
    Dec 12, 2005
  3. joseph
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,312
  4. John
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,262
  5. Bill Ling
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,233
    Dean Mortensen
    Jun 21, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page