    seems too good to be real). My main concern is how would the VOIP effect my
    Comcast High-Speed connection? Would it be noticeable, especially when
    downloading large files?

    Spiderman, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Spiderman

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Spiderman wrote:
    > I'm considering taking the plunge into VOIP (SunRocket's $199/year plan
    > seems too good to be real). My main concern is how would the VOIP effect my
    > Comcast High-Speed connection? Would it be noticeable, especially when
    > downloading large files?

    I have ATT callvantage (voip) and Comcast broadband: downloading is
    hardly affected, but it can be observed (slight drop during busy phone
    calls).

    Rick Merrill, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Spiderman

    Bill Kearney Guest

    > I'm considering taking the plunge into VOIP (SunRocket's $199/year plan
    > seems too good to be real). My main concern is how would the VOIP effect

    my
    > Comcast High-Speed connection? Would it be noticeable, especially when
    > downloading large files?

    There's unlikely to be any impact unless there's calls active. And when
    calls are active they do take up "some" bandwidth.

    The bigger problem to watch out for is network congestion. If you want your
    calls to go through reliably then you need to be sure your upstream network
    isn't congested. Or that it takes efforts to properly prioritize VoIP calls
    over other network traffic. It does you no good whatsoever to have a
    high-speed local link if the upstream network can't pass you the traffic
    properly.

    -Bill Kearney

    Bill Kearney, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Spiderman

    Spiderman Guest

    "Bill Kearney" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm considering taking the plunge into VOIP (SunRocket's $199/year plan
    >> seems too good to be real). My main concern is how would the VOIP effect

    > my
    >> Comcast High-Speed connection? Would it be noticeable, especially when
    >> downloading large files?

    > There's unlikely to be any impact unless there's calls active. And when
    > calls are active they do take up "some" bandwidth.
    >
    > The bigger problem to watch out for is network congestion. If you want
    > your
    > calls to go through reliably then you need to be sure your upstream
    > network
    > isn't congested. Or that it takes efforts to properly prioritize VoIP
    > calls
    > over other network traffic. It does you no good whatsoever to have a
    > high-speed local link if the upstream network can't pass you the traffic
    > properly.
    >
    > -Bill Kearney

    How much bandwidth is needed in both directions for most calls?

    Spiderman, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Spiderman

    Bill Kearney Guest

    > How much bandwidth is needed in both directions for most calls?

    It's not just about bandwidth, it's about latency. A wide pipe is useless
    if the packets get bogged down going from point to point. Your segment at
    the house being 'high speed' is worthless if the upstream network can't
    prioritize the traffic such that VoIP maintains a higher QoS (quality of
    service).

    As for bits per second on the wire, it can vary depending on the codec being
    used. As much as 64k down to as little as 4k. Of course the audio quality
    degrades accordingly. And it's bidirectional, your speed in is just as
    important as your speed out.

    A search on 'voip bandwidth' brings up several pages. Here's one:
    http://www.newport-networks.com/whitepapers/voip-bandwidth3.html

    So what you really need to pay attention to is not just speed. You need to
    make sure your VoIP gateway is out there in front of anything else. If your
    cable modem already includes a firewall you may need to get a different one
    and reconfigure the modem to be just a dumb router. If your VoIP gateway
    gets the first crack at the wire then it can gobble up as much bandwidth as
    it needs. Your PC activities behind it will get less bandwidth, but only
    during active calls. That and a PC's demand on the bandwidth is much more
    capable of tolerating possible slow downs. A voice call and the quality
    loss is a lot less tolerant.

    -Bill Kearney

    Bill Kearney, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Spiderman

    >> How much bandwidth is needed in both directions for most calls?

    > It's not just about bandwidth, it's about latency. A wide pipe is useless
    > if the packets get bogged down going from point to point. Your segment at
    > the house being 'high speed' is worthless if the upstream network can't
    > prioritize the traffic such that VoIP maintains a higher QoS (quality of
    > service).
    >
    > As for bits per second on the wire, it can vary depending on the codec
    > being
    > used. As much as 64k down to as little as 4k. Of course the audio
    > quality
    > degrades accordingly. And it's bidirectional, your speed in is just as
    > important as your speed out.
    >
    > A search on 'voip bandwidth' brings up several pages. Here's one:
    > http://www.newport-networks.com/whitepapers/voip-bandwidth3.html
    >
    > So what you really need to pay attention to is not just speed. You need
    > make sure your VoIP gateway is out there in front of anything else. If
    > your
    > cable modem already includes a firewall you may need to get a different
    > one
    > and reconfigure the modem to be just a dumb router. If your VoIP gateway
    > gets the first crack at the wire then it can gobble up as much bandwidth
    > as
    > it needs. Your PC activities behind it will get less bandwidth, but only
    > during active calls. That and a PC's demand on the bandwidth is much more
    > capable of tolerating possible slow downs. A voice call and the quality
    > loss is a lot less tolerant.
    >
    > -Bill Kearney

    I received my SunRocket kit today. Installation was easy and the VOIP call
    quality is excellent! My Internet connection appears to be unaffected as
    well. I'm a very satisfied customer!

    Spiderman, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Spiderman

    Guest

    Spiderman wrote:

    > I received my SunRocket kit today. Installation was easy and the VOIP call
    > quality is excellent! My Internet connection appears to be unaffected as
    > well. I'm a very satisfied customer!

    Let us know how you like it as time goes on. I've been with them for
    about 15-15 months so far and am just now getting ready to renew my
    annual plan.

    , Jan 23, 2006