voip/sip at cisco 7960 and 1751

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Andre Gronwald, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. hi,
    i am a trainee and have the task to make the bought hardware working.
    the following hardware has been bought:
    - 2651xm (with only 64mb ram and 16mb flash, not enough for voip-ios)
    - 1751-v (the voip-router)
    - 2 7960 ip-phones.

    there is some further hardware, but they are not necessary for
    voice-over-ip.

    all i want is to be able to dial the number of the other phone and get
    it to ring!! ;-)
    no outbound-routing or anything else... (all router and phones and
    server are working in the same subnet!)

    first i knew nothing about this topic. now i know a bit, but at this
    moment i don't know what to do to get working those things together. the
    last days i only used the 1751-v and the phones and a sip-proxy-server.
    but i don't know, what exactly to do. i studied many manuals, howtos
    etc, but it is not working.

    so i would like to know the following:
    1. is the pc-sip-proxy-server really needed, or is the 1751-v sufficient?
    2. what has to be configured in the 1751-v?
    3. if the pc-sip-proxy-server is used, do i still need the 1751-v (only
    internal communication is wanted)?

    if this is clear to me, i have the next questions... ;-)))

    would be great to get help, because after trying everything i am feeling
    down...

    thank you very much,
    Andre Gronwald

    Andre Gronwald, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Andre Gronwald wrote:
    > hi,
    > i am a trainee and have the task to make the bought hardware working.
    > the following hardware has been bought:
    > - 2651xm (with only 64mb ram and 16mb flash, not enough for voip-ios)
    > - 1751-v (the voip-router)
    > - 2 7960 ip-phones.

    This should be enough.

    > all i want is to be able to dial the number of the other phone and get
    > it to ring!! ;-)
    > no outbound-routing or anything else... (all router and phones and
    > server are working in the same subnet!)

    That should be easy.

    > first i knew nothing about this topic. now i know a bit, but at this
    > moment i don't know what to do to get working those things together. the
    > last days i only used the 1751-v and the phones and a sip-proxy-server.
    > but i don't know, what exactly to do. i studied many manuals, howtos
    > etc, but it is not working.

    Hmm, study better. All the info you need is on cisco.com. I presume you
    have a login account there to get to the good stuff ?

    > so i would like to know the following:
    > 1. is the pc-sip-proxy-server really needed, or is the 1751-v sufficient?

    Just the 1751 and 7960's are enough. The 1751 should be running ITS
    (a.k.a. Call Manager Express) and the phones should use the skinny
    firmware versions.

    > 2. what has to be configured in the 1751-v?

    The keyword is 'ephone', try cisco.com.

    > 3. if the pc-sip-proxy-server is used, do i still need the 1751-v (only
    > internal communication is wanted)?

    If you have a valid SIP setup (for instance Asterisk), you should be
    able to configure the phones in SIP mode.

    > if this is clear to me, i have the next questions... ;-)))
    >
    > would be great to get help, because after trying everything i am feeling
    > down...
    >

    > thank you very much,
    > Andre Gronwald

    Arnold

    --
    Arnold

    http://www.ligtvoet.org
    Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Andre Gronwald

    SPD Guest

    Andre:

    Andre Gronwald wrote:

    > hi,
    > i am a trainee and have the task to make the bought hardware working.
    > the following hardware has been bought:

    You might need to clarify what you mean by make the hardware work.
    Given that see the following answers.

    > - 2651xm (with only 64mb ram and 16mb flash, not enough for voip-ios)
    > - 1751-v (the voip-router)
    > - 2 7960 ip-phones.
    >
    > there is some further hardware, but they are not necessary for
    > voice-over-ip.
    >
    > all i want is to be able to dial the number of the other phone and get
    > it to ring!! ;-)
    > no outbound-routing or anything else... (all router and phones and
    > server are working in the same subnet!)

    Your subject line has "voip/sip" in it. Do you want to run SIP? If so
    then making
    one phone call the other is very easy. Download a pre-v5 SIP image (and
    associated files)
    from cisco.com. Place them on a tftp server accessible by the phones.
    Reboot the
    phones and they should load the SIP firmware. Once SIP is loaded call
    the other
    phone by it's IP address (entering an IP address is cumbersome on the
    phone keypad
    but it works) and the other phone will ring.

    > first i knew nothing about this topic. now i know a bit, but at this
    > moment i don't know what to do to get working those things together.
    > the last days i only used the 1751-v and the phones and a
    > sip-proxy-server. but i don't know, what exactly to do. i studied many
    > manuals, howtos etc, but it is not working.

    Keep reading.

    > so i would like to know the following:
    > 1. is the pc-sip-proxy-server really needed, or is the 1751-v sufficient?
    > 2. what has to be configured in the 1751-v?
    > 3. if the pc-sip-proxy-server is used, do i still need the 1751-v
    > (only internal communication is wanted)?

    A server is only needed if you want "additional" functionality. If you
    want authentication,
    registration, perhaps voice mail, call routing rules, etc then a server
    will eventually be
    needed. As I said above simply having one phone call the other is easy.

    > if this is clear to me, i have the next questions... ;-)))

    So far so good I think.

    > would be great to get help, because after trying everything i am
    > feeling down...

    Asterisk, SER, Vovida and others make good public domain SIP proxy servers.
    Depending upon your needs you may want to spend some time looking at these
    products. Also check out sites like http://www.packetizer.com for more
    information
    on signaling standards.

    SPD, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Arnold Ligtvoet wrote:
    >> all i want is to be able to dial the number of the other phone and get
    >> it to ring!! ;-)
    >> no outbound-routing or anything else... (all router and phones and
    >> server are working in the same subnet!)

    > That should be easy.

    easy? i have been trying for over 5 days and wasn't able to get it
    working... ;-(
    but i am just a trainee and an absolutely newbee in voip...

    >> sip-proxy-server. but i don't know, what exactly to do. i studied many
    >> manuals, howtos etc, but it is not working.

    > Hmm, study better. All the info you need is on cisco.com. I presume you
    > have a login account there to get to the good stuff ?

    well, i read many documents, but i didn't find THAT document which i
    understood so well, that i could handle that topic... i found many info
    about sip, many about voip, but seldom combined... and when it was
    combined, it was too complicated for me... (i am from germany and not
    the best englöish-speaking-one, perhaps this is another problem)

    >> so i would like to know the following:
    >> 1. is the pc-sip-proxy-server really needed, or is the 1751-v sufficient?

    > Just the 1751 and 7960's are enough. The 1751 should be running ITS
    > (a.k.a. Call Manager Express) and the phones should use the skinny
    > firmware versions.

    i have just installed the ios 6.0.0, i think it is a sip-software... how
    to find a skinny-ios? i will have a look, when i am on work tomorrow,
    but maybe you have the answer right now.

    >> 2. what has to be configured in the 1751-v?

    > The keyword is 'ephone', try cisco.com.

    i never found this word in my searches... so i will have a look tomorrow!!!

    >> 3. if the pc-sip-proxy-server is used, do i still need the 1751-v
    >> (only internal communication is wanted)?

    > If you have a valid SIP setup (for instance Asterisk), you should be
    > able to configure the phones in SIP mode.

    if i understand you correctly:
    either i use a skniiy sw, then i need no sip-server, or i use a sip-sw,
    then a sip-server is necessary.
    for the last case: how to configure the 1751?

    > Arnold

    thanks for your help, i hope to make a step forward with it!!!

    with best regards,
    andre gronwald

    Andre Gronwald, Nov 30, 2003
  5. SPD wrote:

    >> i am a trainee and have the task to make the bought hardware working.
    >> the following hardware has been bought:

    > You might need to clarify what you mean by make the hardware work.
    > Given that see the following answers.

    primary goal: enter a number (ip-address or telephone-number) and get
    the other phone to ring!
    secondary goal: the same over different networks (so routing becomes
    important).
    3rd goal: call another phone over the isdn-net.
    4th goal (my personal goal): understand the important things you need to
    know to configure most hardware-setups. therefor i need to know the
    difference between sip and skinny-sw (i read about it in the other
    answer) and get deeper into each solution (i want to know all!!! ;-)))) ).

    >> all i want is to be able to dial the number of the other phone and get
    >> it to ring!! ;-)
    >> no outbound-routing or anything else... (all router and phones and
    >> server are working in the same subnet!)

    > Your subject line has "voip/sip" in it. Do you want to run SIP? If so

    to use sip is not necessary, but possible. at least i want to be able to
    get different ways working (sip / skinny; is there another way?).

    > then making
    > one phone call the other is very easy. Download a pre-v5 SIP image (and
    > associated files)
    > from cisco.com. Place them on a tftp server accessible by the phones.
    > Reboot the
    > phones and they should load the SIP firmware. Once SIP is loaded call
    > the other
    > phone by it's IP address (entering an IP address is cumbersome on the
    > phone keypad
    > but it works) and the other phone will ring.

    is a sip-server needed? i have launched a sip-server, both phones are
    registrated, but the configured numbers didn't work. but ip-addresses i
    didn't try yet...

    >> first i knew nothing about this topic. now i know a bit, but at this
    >> moment i don't know what to do to get working those things together.
    >> the last days i only used the 1751-v and the phones and a
    >> sip-proxy-server. but i don't know, what exactly to do. i studied many
    >> manuals, howtos etc, but it is not working.

    > Keep reading.

    i will, but it is so much, the information are not always the needed
    ones (you get always same or similar infos, but other needed things
    aren't explained)...

    >> so i would like to know the following:
    >> 1. is the pc-sip-proxy-server really needed, or is the 1751-v sufficient?
    >> 2. what has to be configured in the 1751-v?
    >> 3. if the pc-sip-proxy-server is used, do i still need the 1751-v
    >> (only internal communication is wanted)?

    > A server is only needed if you want "additional" functionality. If you
    > want authentication,
    > registration, perhaps voice mail, call routing rules, etc then a server
    > will eventually be
    > needed. As I said above simply having one phone call the other is easy.

    i think that additional features were nice... i don't want to enter
    always ip-addresses to call s.o... ;)

    >> would be great to get help, because after trying everything i am
    >> feeling down...

    > Asterisk, SER, Vovida and others make good public domain SIP proxy servers.

    i have another sip-proxy-server (i can't remember the name at the
    moment). phones are, as already mentioned, registered, but i don't know
    what to do next.
    btw: if sip is used, what about the 1751-v? can i ignore it???

    > Depending upon your needs you may want to spend some time looking at these
    > products. Also check out sites like http://www.packetizer.com for more
    > information
    > on signaling standards.

    thanks very much, i will have not only one look at this sites!!!

    thanks,
    andre gronwald

    Andre Gronwald, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Andre Gronwald wrote:
    > Arnold Ligtvoet wrote:
    >
    >>> all i want is to be able to dial the number of the other phone and
    >>> get it to ring!! ;-)
    >>> no outbound-routing or anything else... (all router and phones and
    >>> server are working in the same subnet!)

    >> That should be easy.

    > easy? i have been trying for over 5 days and wasn't able to get it
    > working... ;-(
    > but i am just a trainee and an absolutely newbee in voip...

    Still there is a lot of info at cisco.com. You could try :
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_feature_guide_book09186a00801812e4.html
    (sorry for the long link).

    >>> sip-proxy-server. but i don't know, what exactly to do. i studied
    >>> many manuals, howtos etc, but it is not working.

    >> Hmm, study better. All the info you need is on cisco.com. I presume
    >> you have a login account there to get to the good stuff ?

    > well, i read many documents, but i didn't find THAT document which i
    > understood so well, that i could handle that topic... i found many info
    > about sip, many about voip, but seldom combined... and when it was
    > combined, it was too complicated for me... (i am from germany and not
    > the best englöish-speaking-one, perhaps this is another problem)

    AFAIK Cisco have a solution for SIP, but it is expensive. The 'most
    easy' option, if you want to work with Cisco and already have to
    hardware is to go for the Call Manager Express option. The link above
    points to the admin manual.

    >>> so i would like to know the following:
    >>> 1. is the pc-sip-proxy-server really needed, or is the 1751-v
    >>> sufficient?

    >> Just the 1751 and 7960's are enough. The 1751 should be running ITS
    >> (a.k.a. Call Manager Express) and the phones should use the skinny
    >> firmware versions.

    > i have just installed the ios 6.0.0, i think it is a sip-software... how
    > to find a skinny-ios? i will have a look, when i am on work tomorrow,
    > but maybe you have the answer right now.

    Ehhh IOS 6.0.0, I don't know this one. CME (Call Manager Express) uses
    IOS 12.2(4)T. It could be SIP software, I've never used SIP in a Cisco
    environment.

    >>> 2. what has to be configured in the 1751-v?

    >> The keyword is 'ephone', try cisco.com.

    > i never found this word in my searches... so i will have a look tomorrow!!!

    See link above.

    >>> 3. if the pc-sip-proxy-server is used, do i still need the 1751-v
    >>> (only internal communication is wanted)?

    >> If you have a valid SIP setup (for instance Asterisk), you should be
    >> able to configure the phones in SIP mode.

    > if i understand you correctly:
    > either i use a skniiy sw, then i need no sip-server, or i use a sip-sw,
    > then a sip-server is necessary.
    > for the last case: how to configure the 1751?

    Yup, there are two scenarios;
    a) set-up something in the SIP area. As SPD stated you would not need
    any server to dial phones by IP address.
    b) Set up CME on the 1751, insert a VWIC into the 1751. Install the
    correct version of IOS and CME on the 1751. Have the skinny phoneload
    for the 7960 and use the manual located at the link above.

    Good luck.

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Andre Gronwald

    shido Guest

    What kind of phone? Regular phone ( rj-11) IP Phone? (7960? Budgetone?
    Snom?) softphone?

    If you have any of the above you can download asterisk at (www.asterisk.org)
    and install it on a Linux box and get started by dropping me a line. I'll
    install it and tweak it while you watch for free. All you need to do is find
    a spare PC laying around (266 mhz or better with 32 mb of ram)

    --
    Greg Merriweather
    The NuFone Network

    519-251-8225 x 3000
    IM:

    shido, Dec 3, 2003
  8. shido wrote:
    > What kind of phone? Regular phone ( rj-11) IP Phone? (7960? Budgetone?
    > Snom?) softphone?

    there are 2 7960s!

    > If you have any of the above you can download asterisk at (www.asterisk.org)
    > and install it on a Linux box and get started by dropping me a line. I'll
    > install it and tweak it while you watch for free. All you need to do is find
    > a spare PC laying around (266 mhz or better with 32 mb of ram)

    well, i was told by arnold that all can work with the 1751-v only, so i
    try to get it work only with the 1751-v, the ip-phones and a switch.
    --
    Andre Gronwald

    Andre Gronwald, Dec 3, 2003