    Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

    Thanks,

    JD
    JakeD, Mar 23, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    JakeD <> wrote:

    >Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

    I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
    that can be used via a VoIP service ...

    However Three let you make Skype calls on some handsets and some Nokia
    handsets have SIP software built-in (which should work with any SIP
    compliant VoIP provider) And there may be others..

    What is it that you want to achieve?

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 23, 2008

  3. JakeD

    bob garbutt Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > JakeD <> wrote:
    >> Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

    > I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
    > that can be used via a VoIP service ...
    >
    > However Three let you make Skype calls on some handsets and some Nokia
    > handsets have SIP software built-in (which should work with any SIP
    > compliant VoIP provider) And there may be others..
    >
    > What is it that you want to achieve?
    >
    > Gordon

    Well this is sort of voip, I use the 3 mobile network that allows you to
    make and receive calls via Skype, not perfect I know but it works well,
    I get around 4000 mins on Skype calls a month and about 4,000 skype chat
    in the monthly allowance, same for contract and PAYG, I use Voipcheap
    and sipgate for my normal calls over the net.

    Bob
    bob garbutt, Mar 23, 2008
  4. JakeD

    RH Guest

    > Well this is sort of voip, I use the 3 mobile network that allows you to
    > make and receive calls via Skype, not perfect I know but it works well, I
    > get around 4000 mins on Skype calls a month and about 4,000 skype chat in
    > the monthly allowance, same for contract and PAYG, I use Voipcheap and
    > sipgate for my normal calls over the net.
    >
    > Bob

    Totally agree the 3 Skype service is great, in fact its not strictly mobile
    VOIP not because its skype
    but because it is hosted at 3 server level rather than a client. And works
    much better for this, so much so
    that I have pretty much given up all SIP based phone stuff
    RH, Mar 23, 2008
  5. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:02:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >>Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

    >I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
    >that can be used via a VoIP service ...

    I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
    service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
    I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
    can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
    than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
    able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
    without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
    may be impossible; I don't know.

    I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
    but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
    service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
    hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
    then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
    their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...

    I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
    service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
    messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

    >However Three let you make Skype calls on some handsets and some Nokia
    >handsets have SIP software built-in (which should work with any SIP
    >compliant VoIP provider) And there may be others..

    Perhaps that is the way - thank you... I will read up on SIP...

    JD
    JakeD, Mar 23, 2008
  6. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:13:04 GMT, bob garbutt
    <> wrote:

    >Well this is sort of voip, I use the 3 mobile network that allows you to
    >make and receive calls via Skype

    But with Skype, you can only call other Skype users, is that right?

    JD
    JakeD, Mar 23, 2008
  7. In article <>,
    JakeD <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:02:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

    >>I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
    >>that can be used via a VoIP service ...

    >I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
    >service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
    >I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
    >can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
    >than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
    >able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
    >without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
    >may be impossible; I don't know.

    Well - what you need is a mobile phone that can be used via a VoIP
    service ...

    Unless you are using Skype, nearly all VoIP providers use a standards
    based system called SIP. Some mobile phones have SIP software built in.
    Eg. The Nokia E95 and E90... Maybe others.

    >I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
    >but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
    >service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
    >hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
    >then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
    >their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...

    So you need a phone with both a SIP client and Wi-Fi access...

    Once you can establish an Internet connection you should be able to use
    VoIP - however, in my experience, a busy Wi-Fi access point is worse
    than useless for making VoIP calls. VoIP is quite demanding in terms of
    what it needs to make it work, and it's easy for other users of the same
    Wi-Fi access point to interfere with VoIP communications. (And I don't
    even mean interfere deliberately, it's a shared resource, and if it's
    busy, then ...)

    >I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
    >service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
    >messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

    You need to either divert your VoIP service to your mobile number,
    or have a mobile phone with SIP and Wi-Fi, and be in-range of a Wi-Fi
    access point. I have no problems recieving a VoIP call on my mobile when
    I can satisfy those requirements.

    So even if you have this (which I do, with my Nokia E90), finding a
    "free" Wi-Fi access point is not easy, so you'll end up using a paid
    service which might well work out more expensive than simply making a
    call via the "normal" mobile phone network...

    Some contracts do give you free access to various Wi-Fi hot-spots, but
    you'll need to go through the contracts, websites, etc. to find this out.

    And of-course, you'll need the details from your VoIP provider to
    enter into your SIP+WiFi enabled mobile phone; server, username and
    password, which they might not have told you if you bought something
    pre-configured...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 23, 2008
  8. JakeD

    Jono Guest

    JakeD presented the following explanation :
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:02:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

    >> I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
    >> that can be used via a VoIP service ...

    > I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
    > service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
    > I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
    > can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
    > than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
    > able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
    > without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
    > may be impossible; I don't know.

    It's not impossible.

    I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
    the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than
    when using wifi.

    > I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
    > but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
    > service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
    > hotspot. Perhaps not.

    You may find that you can ring out OK, but inbound may fail.

    Or, you may find that you suffer from one-way audio issues.
    Jono, Mar 23, 2008
  9. JakeD

    Andy Burns Guest

    On 23/03/2008 19:17, JakeD wrote:

    > I can't see any error in my wording of my question.

    I think the point that was being made was once you obtain a mobile phone
    with VoIP capabilty, you can use any VoIP service, including the one you
    already have.

    There's unlilkey to be a service that allows you to use your existing
    phone with your existing VoIP, or rather, if there was one, it would
    likely cost you more than just using the mobile in the first place.
    Andy Burns, Mar 23, 2008
  10. JakeD

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:

    > I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
    > the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
    > using wifi.

    Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
    G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
    the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
    Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

    And one final more general question: if you're using a network where n
    packets out of every 100 go missing, does it make sense to use a higher
    [G711] or lower [GSM] bitrate codec?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:18:45 up 28 days, 5:11, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.08
    alexd, Mar 23, 2008
  11. JakeD

    Jono Guest

    It happens that alexd formulated :
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:
    >
    >> I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
    >> the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
    >> using wifi.

    > Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
    > G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
    > the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
    > Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

    It was very useable on 3G, albeit a bit latent.

    The inbuilt SIP client lost registration on WiFi, and the phone gets
    extremely hot if you have WiFi on all the time.

    > And one final more general question: if you're using a network where n
    > packets out of every 100 go missing, does it make sense to use a higher
    > [G711] or lower [GSM] bitrate codec?

    Er, yes....or no.
    Jono, Mar 23, 2008
  12. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:36:48 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >You need to either divert your VoIP service to your mobile number,
    >or have a mobile phone with SIP and Wi-Fi, and be in-range of a Wi-Fi
    >access point. I have no problems recieving a VoIP call on my mobile when
    >I can satisfy those requirements.
    >
    >So even if you have this (which I do, with my Nokia E90), finding a
    >"free" Wi-Fi access point is not easy, so you'll end up using a paid
    >service which might well work out more expensive than simply making a
    >call via the "normal" mobile phone network...
    >
    >Some contracts do give you free access to various Wi-Fi hot-spots, but
    >you'll need to go through the contracts, websites, etc. to find this out.
    >
    >And of-course, you'll need the details from your VoIP provider to
    >enter into your SIP+WiFi enabled mobile phone; server, username and
    >password, which they might not have told you if you bought something

    Thank you very much for clarifying a few things. I'm sad to note that
    the phone I purchased the other day (Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX T810)
    doesn't have SIP. It has just about everything else, but not SIP! Oh,
    well... Perhaps there is still a way, somehow...

    JD
    JakeD, Mar 24, 2008
  13. JakeD

    JakeD Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:47:52 +0000, Andy Burns
    <> wrote:

    >> I can't see any error in my wording of my question.

    >I think the point that was being made was once you obtain a mobile phone
    >with VoIP capabilty, you can use any VoIP service, including the one you
    >already have.
    >
    >There's unlilkey to be a service that allows you to use your existing
    >phone with your existing VoIP, or rather, if there was one, it would
    >likely cost you more than just using the mobile in the first place.

    OK - perhaos I will sell the new phone (arriving tomorrow) for one
    with this SIP capability which Gordon mentioned.

    JD
    JakeD, Mar 24, 2008
  14. In article <>,
    JakeD <> wrote:

    >Thank you very much for clarifying a few things. I'm sad to note that
    >the phone I purchased the other day (Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX T810)
    >doesn't have SIP. It has just about everything else, but not SIP! Oh,
    >well... Perhaps there is still a way, somehow...

    A quick google found this:

    http://www.go-sip.com/dl.php

    It might work in your phone... Who knows...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 24, 2008
  15. JakeD

    Stephen Guest

    Re: VOIP service > the Nokia SIP client?

    For Nokia E series mobile VoIP try this: http://aql.com/telecoms/index.php

    Stephen, Mar 25, 2008
  16. Re: VOIP service > the Nokia SIP client?

    In article <47e8b8bc$0$628$>,
    Stephen <> wrote:

    >alexd wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
    >>> the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
    >>> using wifi.

    >> Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
    >> G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
    >> the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
    >> Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

    >For Nokia E series mobile VoIP try this: http://aql.com/telecoms/index.php

    Intersting easy setup ... no E90 though :)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 25, 2008
  17. JakeD

    Guest

    Re: VOIP service > the Nokia SIP client?

    Though mobile voip is certainly becoming reality, you'll still likely
    encounter issues with sound quality... That's the last piece of the
    puzzle that is still ruining the "call experience" after all else has
    been pretty much sorted out.

    Given this little problem, I would recommend using some of the "semi-
    voip" or hybrid solutions that combine a regular national phone call
    and a cheap international voip call into a viable alternative against
    regular international calls.

    There are a few such services out there, like Rebtel and Jajah Direct,
    but my personal favourite is Manifone.

    They'll give you a few London numbers which you can "point" to
    International destinations of your choice, which makes your
    international destinations become available on UK numbers, at nearly
    voip rates. Since your voice leaves your mobile handset in form of a
    regular GSM call, you won't need a data plan or SIP client to use it.

    I know that only true voip on your mobile will give you complete
    freedom of choice, but technically it's not quite there yet. In the
    meantime, use a hybrid alternative!
    , Mar 26, 2008
  18. In article <>,
    JakeD <> writes:

    > I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
    > service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
    > I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
    > can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
    > than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
    > able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
    > without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
    > may be impossible; I don't know.

    Phones exist (my Nokia E61i can do this). However, if you get the
    phone as part of a contract, you need to ensure the VoIP has not
    been disabled by the supplier -- some were doing this but I haven't
    heard recently. Probably need to ask this in uk.telecom.mobile.

    The other warning I would give is that the IP/WiFi and possibly SIP
    implementations in all mobiles is rather beta quality compared
    with the quality of implementations you may be more used to in
    computers. I.e they don't always work, or don't always work as
    you'd expect them to. Across a number of colleagues, we've used
    most of the IP/WiFi phones (although I've only used the E61i),
    and they're all lacking in software quality.

    > I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
    > but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
    > service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
    > hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
    > then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
    > their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...
    >
    > I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
    > service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
    > messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

    Works for both receiving and making calls for me. I run my own
    SIP service for the extended family, and it's only used for calls
    between family members, although I can also redirect my home phone
    to it over VoIP.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Apr 1, 2008