    Would anyone be able to recommend another voip service please? Would be
    very grateful for any quick recommendation as I have to make some overseas
    calls tomorrow morning. Thanks.

    john reid, Oct 24, 2010

  2. john reid

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <ia23p7$ki8$-september.org>, john reid
    <> scribeth thus
    >I have been trying to pay some more money into the voip company called
    >*voipstunt* and i get an error code 103, come up.
    >
    >when i did a search on *voipstunt error 103* there seems to be some stuff
    >about the parent company called betamax being a bid dodgy.
    >
    >For example:
    >
    >http://www.calliflower.com/2008/01/23/betamax-voip-accused-of-fraud/
    >
    >Would anyone be able to recommend another voip service please? Would be
    >very grateful for any quick recommendation as I have to make some overseas
    >calls tomorrow morning. Thanks.

    VoIPfone.....
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Oct 24, 2010

  3. john reid

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:49:49 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    > "john reid" <> wrote in message
    >>I have been trying to pay some more money into the voip company called
    >>*voipstunt* and i get an error code 103, come up.
    >>
    >> when i did a search on *voipstunt error 103* there seems to be some
    >> stuff about the parent company called betamax being a bid dodgy.
    >>
    >> For example:
    >>
    >> http://www.calliflower.com/2008/01/23/betamax-voip-accused-of-fraud/
    >>
    >> Would anyone be able to recommend another voip service please? Would
    >> be very grateful for any quick recommendation as I have to make some
    >> overseas calls tomorrow morning. Thanks.

    > Depends on what countries you call.
    > I would recommend smartvoip.com based on their UK mobile charge is about
    > 5p/min which is considerably less than voipstunt.com
    >
    > Yes, they are a Betamax brand too, and yes, I have seen that fraud
    > allegation before, I still contend that Betamax is amongst the best
    > value for domestic users, and I can't recall a similar first-hand
    > complaint in this NG in spite of many of us using them.
    >
    > Incidentally I would always use Paypal for this kind of service. and
    > there is a 75 Eurocent admin fee which they should be clearer about.
    > That is my only criticism.
    >
    > I seem to remember having a similar issue in getting a payment to go
    > through, it was OK when I tried it later.

    I have been using Betamax services for years, as have many people on this
    NG. I have never heard of any allegations in relation to fraud so, from
    personal experience, I would discount this.
    As regards Paypal. I avoid them wherever possible. Wait while you get a
    situation where you want some of the compensation they offer. My
    experience with paypal has been a bad one. When I pay Betamax it is via
    a credit card. You do have some protection with a Credit Card if the
    vendor doesn't deliver the service etc.
    Take a look at this site, not all Betamax companies are listed but you'll
    find most of them. Beware that some charge a connection fee (check
    carefully) and some don't use SIP. Just check out the 'Instructions' on
    the web site.
    http://backsla.sh/betamax

    --
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Running Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Long term Support). Very customisable,

    Brian A, Oct 25, 2010
  4. john reid

    Woody Guest

    "john reid" <> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to pay some more money into the voip company
    >called *voipstunt* and i get an error code 103, come up.
    >
    > when i did a search on *voipstunt error 103* there seems to be
    > some stuff about the parent company called betamax being a bid
    > dodgy.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > http://www.calliflower.com/2008/01/23/betamax-voip-accused-of-fraud/
    >
    > Would anyone be able to recommend another voip service please?
    > Would be very grateful for any quick recommendation as I have
    > to make some overseas calls tomorrow morning. Thanks.

    www.voip.co.uk have been consistently good for me. Used them on
    free wi-fi when in France recently to keep in touch with home.
    1p/min for UK landlines, 3p/min to European landline.

    Also Sipgate are now vastly better than they used to be - and
    they weren't all that bad then.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com