    to call to the PSTN, I would have to contact the Telco to get outside
    access right? Like my VoIPs gateway would be Sprint or so? I am unclear
    as to how it all works still.

    Lexxus, Mar 3, 2005

  2. On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:14:33 -0800, Lexxus wrote:

    > I am curious to the possible configs. If I strictly setup say Cisco
    > call manager for all calling local, site to site and have the ability
    > to call to the PSTN, I would have to contact the Telco to get outside
    > access right? Like my VoIPs gateway would be Sprint or so? I am unclear
    > as to how it all works still.

    Lexxus,

    There are a number of options for PSTN access. Common ones are:

    1. Normal analogue lines to the telco. Fit FXO VIC cards in your router.

    2. Basic rate ISDN to the telco. Fit BRI VIC cards to your router.

    3. Primary rate ISDN to the telco. Fit PRI VWIC cards to your router.

    4. Find a VoIP provider who will allow you to connect over your internet
    connection using SIP or similar. No cards are needed - the connection is
    made directly from your Call Manager.

    If you'd like commercial assistance deciding which one, and help
    installing it, email me off group. My company, Integrics Ltd, does VoIP
    consulting.

    --
    Alistair Cunningham,
    Integrics Ltd,

    Alistair Cunningham, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Lexxus

    stephen Guest

    "Alistair Cunningham" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:14:33 -0800, Lexxus wrote:
    >
    > > I am curious to the possible configs. If I strictly setup say Cisco
    > > call manager for all calling local, site to site and have the ability
    > > to call to the PSTN, I would have to contact the Telco to get outside
    > > access right? Like my VoIPs gateway would be Sprint or so? I am unclear
    > > as to how it all works still.

    > Lexxus,
    >
    > There are a number of options for PSTN access. Common ones are:
    >
    > 1. Normal analogue lines to the telco. Fit FXO VIC cards in your router.
    >
    > 2. Basic rate ISDN to the telco. Fit BRI VIC cards to your router.
    >
    > 3. Primary rate ISDN to the telco. Fit PRI VWIC cards to your router.
    >
    > 4. Find a VoIP provider who will allow you to connect over your internet
    > connection using SIP or similar. No cards are needed - the connection is
    > made directly from your Call Manager.

    5. use the high density gateway cards in a Cat 6k switch - this tends to be
    the cheapest way to provide several T1 or E1 interfaces, esp. if you have
    the Cat 6k anyway...

    public VoIP and / or SIP interfaces may be different, but interworking with
    H.323 between Call manager and other PBXes has traditionally been easy in
    theory, and painful / difficult / hard to debug in practice....

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Lexxus

    Lexxus Guest

    I have a ISDN PRI right now going to my PBX. Would callmanager with a
    PRI card be a good start if I were to go into VoIP? Is there any
    support for existing digital analog lines that are currently in the
    building? Like an adapter card or something?

    Lexxus, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Lexxus

    stephen Guest

    "Lexxus" <> wrote in message
    > I have a ISDN PRI right now going to my PBX. Would callmanager with a
    > PRI card be a good start if I were to go into VoIP? Is there any
    > support for existing digital analog lines that are currently in the
    > building? Like an adapter card or something?

    simplest way is 1 or more cards + DSPs in a cisco router - for just analog
    you could use a 1751 / 1760.

    if you need just 1 or 2 PRI on T1 or E1 then you need a 2600 or 2800 series.

    i havent done the price comparisons recently, but once you get to 4 or more
    the Cat 6k cards get to be cheaper.

    note that the cards or the rotuer ends up with a bunch of DSPs to handle the
    codec functions, so it tends to cost a fair bit more than the base router.

    if you go this way then you need to get someone to spec the router for you -
    the codecs needed depend on the number of active channels and the codec
    processing load. You can also use the DSPs for other jobs in some configs,
    such as transcoding or conferencing, so that should be taken into account.

    stephen, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Lexxus

    C. Masterson Guest

    "Lexxus" <>:

    > I have a ISDN PRI right now going to my PBX. Would callmanager
    > with a PRI card be a good start if I were to go into VoIP? Is
    > there any support for existing digital analog lines that are
    > currently in the building? Like an adapter card or something?
    > stephen wrote:

    I am not familiar with CallManager, however the Nortel BCM
    (http://www.nortel.com/products/01/eedge/bcm/techspecs.html) will take
    PRI trunks and supports digital, analog, and IP sets. There are a
    number of entry-level VoIP PBXs on the market and I've found the BCM to
    be a good mix of features and price.

    C. Masterson, Mar 8, 2005