VOIP seems a waste of time

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ad C, Aug 5, 2005.

  1. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
    many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
    the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
    line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge £9 a month.

    I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
    next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
    evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
    I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

    I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    just hope it is reliable.
     
    Ad C, Aug 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ad C

    Dave Guest

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.


    I sort of agree with you except I use VoIP two extra free incoming lines.

    Other than that, I wouldn't bother with it either. Its not as reliable as a
    BT line on the whole.
     
    Dave, Aug 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. So who is your telephone provider?


    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
    many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
    the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
    line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge £9 a month.

    I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
    next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
    evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
    I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

    I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    just hope it is reliable.
     
    Paul Westwell, Aug 5, 2005
    #3
  4. Ad C

    phantom Guest

    For you it might be a waste of time, but not for everyone

    > I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
    > many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
    > the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
    > line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge £9 a month.

    But most is not all, my VOIP suppliers doesn't charge a monthly fee.

    > I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental

    I don't have a real phone line so dont pay ANY line rental.
     
    phantom, Aug 5, 2005
    #4
  5. Ad C

    Angus Comber Guest

    If you are a home user then yes there isn't a lot of attraction yet as most
    of the people you call will not have a VoIP account etc. Indeed the
    technology is new and so there will be a lot of 'technical' problems until
    it is as smooth as using the standard PSTN.

    But there are many applications of VoIP - particularly for a business which
    make it very attractive.

    I am interested personally because I provide phone systems to businesses and
    I am in the process of building a solution using VoIP based on the Asterisk.
    But probably most of the systems I build in the short term will be VoIP
    gateways so a company can use IP phones internally but external calls will
    go out over traditional PSTN.

    Angus

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
    many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
    the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
    line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge £9 a month.

    I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
    next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
    evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
    I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

    I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    just hope it is reliable.
     
    Angus Comber, Aug 5, 2005
    #5
  6. Ad C

    Sean Guest

    The main reason i like it ,is because it give additional lines at a
    cheap price. So everyone in the house can be on the phone at the same
    time, no arguements!
     
    Sean, Aug 5, 2005
    #6
  7. Ad C

    John Daragon Guest

    Ad C wrote:
    > This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.
    >
    > I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
    > many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
    > the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
    > line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge £9 a month.
    >
    > I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
    > next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
    > evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
    > I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.
    >
    > I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    > free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    > changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    > just hope it is reliable.
    >



    For most domestic users I think you're right. Where it *really* comes
    into its own is for businesses who make large numbers of short calls,
    and who can replace multiple ISDN30 trunks with 2Mbps SDSL connections.

    Oh, and for geographic presence, of course.

    jd

    --

    John Daragon
    argv[0] limited (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)
    Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton, TA3 5SL, UK
    v +44 (0) 1460 234068 f +44 (0) 1460 234069 m +44 (0) 7836 576127
     
    John Daragon, Aug 5, 2005
    #7
  8. Ad C

    RH Guest

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

    I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    just hope it is reliable.
    ===

    I sell VOIP ethernet phones and have spoken to people at computer fairs etc
    I have to agree with a lot of what you say, for the every day person in the
    street VOIP as it is now is a toy, in that it is nice to have but is not
    needed, call charges with people like sipgate, voipfone etc are not lower
    than 18866.com
    and with deals lile that offerered by NTL its hard to recoup back any money.

    However how I see benefit of VOIP is to offering services which you would
    not normally think of doing with BT
    For example if you have a busy house with lots of teenagers who want to use
    the phone, its very cheap to have a couple of sipgate lines running
    so there is always a free phone in the house.

    If you work from differeent sites and want to keep the same local phone
    number without have a redirection to the other sites or your mobile its easy
    to do.

    Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international to speak
    to you, get a UK SIP account...free

    Starting your own business and want a high power PBX system but don't want
    to pay a fortune for kit which is out of date as soon as it is installed
    use a virtual PBX or Asterisks.

    There is lots of things that can be done other than just trying to save
    money on call costs
     
    RH, Aug 5, 2005
    #8
  9. Ad C

    BKM Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in message
    news:dcvqgt$l99$1$...
    >
    > "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.
    >
    > can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.
    >
    > I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    > free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    > changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    > just hope it is reliable.
    > ===
    >
    > I sell VOIP ethernet phones and have spoken to people at computer fairs
    > etc I have to agree with a lot of what you say, for the every day person
    > in the street VOIP as it is now is a toy, in that it is nice to have but
    > is not needed, call charges with people like sipgate, voipfone etc are not
    > lower than 18866.com
    > and with deals lile that offerered by NTL its hard to recoup back any
    > money.
    >
    > However how I see benefit of VOIP is to offering services which you would
    > not normally think of doing with BT
    > For example if you have a busy house with lots of teenagers who want to
    > use the phone, its very cheap to have a couple of sipgate lines running
    > so there is always a free phone in the house.
    >
    > If you work from differeent sites and want to keep the same local phone
    > number without have a redirection to the other sites or your mobile its
    > easy to do.
    >
    > Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international to
    > speak to you, get a UK SIP account...free
    >
    > Starting your own business and want a high power PBX system but don't want
    > to pay a fortune for kit which is out of date as soon as it is installed
    > use a virtual PBX or Asterisks.
    >
    > There is lots of things that can be done other than just trying to save
    > money on call costs
    >


    It does have some features which are useful but on the whole it is not worth
    bothering with if your only use is domestic telephony. Get a cheap deal from
    your provider.

    Brian
     
    BKM, Aug 5, 2005
    #9
  10. Ad C

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:44:57 +0100, "RH" <>
    wrote:

    >Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international to speak
    >to you, get a UK SIP account...free


    This may not apply to Spain, but from many countries, particularly
    those outside Europe, international calls are still quite expensive.
    Being able to call the UK for 1p a minute from where I am in Asia
    saves me a lot of money.

    Chris
     
    Chris Blunt, Aug 5, 2005
    #10
  11. Thus spaketh Chris Blunt:
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:44:57 +0100, "RH" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international
    >> to speak to you, get a UK SIP account...free

    >
    > This may not apply to Spain, but from many countries, particularly
    > those outside Europe, international calls are still quite expensive.
    > Being able to call the UK for 1p a minute from where I am in Asia
    > saves me a lot of money.
    >
    > Chris



    Why not use VoIP Buster or VoIP Cheap and pay nothing instead!


    --
    For South East Brum: http://www.south-east-birmingham.tk
    For Free £10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or £5 when referred to
    easyMobile contact me via above site.
     
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 5, 2005
    #11
  12. Ad C

    Alex Guest

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    Depends on your situation. I spend most of my year in a shared house where
    there is no phone line (6 people in the house, would be a nightmare to work
    out the bill and there would be many an argument about freeing up the line
    so someones other half could talk to them etc), and to get a good mobile
    signal you have to goto the top floor, lie on your side and stay still! We
    do however have ntl cable. I splashed out on an ATA and now people can call
    me on a geographic number, and I can call landlines cheaply peak rate. Its
    the ideal solution for me as it costs me nothing, except my 1.19p/min
    outgoing calls, and solves my problem of poor mobile signal, expensive
    mobile peak rate calls, and people only being able to call me on a mobile
    number. Plus the small other number of people I know on VOIP I can call for
    free.
    If however you live alone, and have BT based ADSL where you have to have a
    phone line anyway, then there would be no real point in VOIP.
    I think at the moment its more of a 'useful toy', and in some ways a proper
    solution to peoples needs, but no, it isnt yet a good replacement for joe
    smith to have as their primary line.

    Alex
     
    Alex, Aug 5, 2005
    #12
  13. Ad C

    Ivor Jones Guest

    BKM wrote:

    [snip]

    > It does have some features which are useful but on the whole it is
    > not worth bothering with if your only use is domestic telephony.
    > Get a cheap deal from your provider.


    It is extremely useful if you want additional numbers. These do not have
    to be in the same area code as your main fixed line, either - I have a
    Birmingham 0121 number and two London 020 numbers which are very useful.
    It is also extemely useful when I am on holiday - the friends in the USA
    that I stay with have ADSL so I can plug an ATA into their router and have
    my UK phone numbers available just as if I were at home.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Aug 5, 2005
    #13
  14. Ad C

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Alex wrote:

    [snip]

    > If however you live alone, and have BT based ADSL where you have to
    > have a phone line anyway, then there would be no real point in VOIP.
    > I think at the moment its more of a 'useful toy', and in some ways
    > a proper solution to peoples needs, but no, it isnt yet a good
    > replacement for joe smith to have as their primary line.


    It is very useful if you want additional numbers. I keep the BT line as a
    fax line (fax over VoIP is still rather problematic) but all my voice
    calls go over the Sipgate lines.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Aug 5, 2005
    #14
  15. Ad C

    Stickems. Guest

    I use 18866 VoIP softphone. Perfect transmission every time. Costs 0ppm for
    UK and 1p connection. Headset cost me a £1 from the pound shop.


    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
    many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
    the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
    line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge £9 a month.

    I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
    next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
    evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
    I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

    I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
    free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
    changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
    just hope it is reliable.
     
    Stickems., Aug 5, 2005
    #15
  16. Ad C

    Sean Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >
    >>If however you live alone, and have BT based ADSL where you have to
    >>have a phone line anyway, then there would be no real point in VOIP.
    >>I think at the moment its more of a 'useful toy', and in some ways
    >>a proper solution to peoples needs, but no, it isnt yet a good
    >>replacement for joe smith to have as their primary line.

    >
    >
    > It is very useful if you want additional numbers. I keep the BT line as a
    > fax line (fax over VoIP is still rather problematic) but all my voice
    > calls go over the Sipgate lines.
    >
    > Ivor
    >
    >


    I've noticed some big delays when using Sipgate........When calling
    out... And when calling in. Seems to take a while to start ringing
    either way
     
    Sean, Aug 5, 2005
    #16
  17. Ad C

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:58:52 +0100, Sean
    <> wrote:


    >I've noticed some big delays when using Sipgate........When calling
    >out... And when calling in. Seems to take a while to start ringing
    >either way

    This yet another fault that has shown its face recently Sean and like
    the voicemail faults it will probably take for ever and a day for them
    to sort out . I am at a loss to think what they do all day over at
    Sipgate has they do not seem to be doing anything to sort out the
    faults that have been on going for ages or doing anything at all to
    improve the service .
     
    , Aug 5, 2005
    #17
  18. Ad C

    JC Guest

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:30:15 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:
    >I already get charged £9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
    >next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
    >evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
    >I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.


    IMHO anyone who tries to sell a VoIP service on the cost of calls is
    completely missing the point. The benefits of VoIP include portability
    and flexibility of equipment and numbering, for example being able to
    have a french number in the UK or have incoming calls ring a phone in
    the UK and Australia at the same time.

    Since the majority of call costs in the UK are to mobiles I really
    can't anyone marketing VoIP here solely on price succeeding, you can
    get similar rates as you say from any company without the equipment,
    hassle and quality of service issues.

    In the US it's a bit different as they don't have the same type of
    competition that we have, mobile calls usually cost the callee not the
    caller and most broadband is supplied without a phone line.

    Rgds
    Jonathan
     
    JC, Aug 5, 2005
    #18
  19. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>, says...
    >
    > >This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

    >
    > I sort of agree with you except I use VoIP two extra free incoming lines.



    I can see that being useful and no doubt cheaper than using BT.

    >
    > Other than that, I wouldn't bother with it either. Its not as reliable as a
    > BT line on the whole.
    >



    I heard it is a bit hit and miss.
     
    Ad C, Aug 6, 2005
    #19
  20. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <mQFIe.30816$>,
    says...
    > So who is your telephone provider?
    >
    >

    Homecall
     
    Ad C, Aug 6, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Neil
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    755
    Rowdy Yates
    Jul 27, 2004
  2. Gonzo Granello
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    442
    Gonzo Granello
    May 21, 2004
  3. Richard
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    863
    Justin
    Aug 9, 2004
  4. Jene Keller

    Why do you waste your time canceling my accounts?

    Jene Keller, Nov 3, 2003, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    602
    Mimic
    Nov 4, 2003
  5. Frank ess

    Photo Shop iltration: Waste of time?

    Frank ess, May 14, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    248
    John Ortt
    May 15, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page