VoIP router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I have used a small network around my house for some time,
    the internet modem feeds a Linksys Cable/DSL router.
    This is connected to the main PC directly from the router. I
    then have two hubs connected to the other ports which in turn
    feed various other computers, a wireless access point and a
    print server. All works well and I don't wish to change the setup.
    However, I also want to use a VoIP adaptor and this is where
    the problems start.
    The VoIP device is also a router, this works fine when it is the
    first device after the cable modem. If the Ethernet output is
    connected to the Linksys router I can't use the network.
    I did manage to connect the VoIP router to one of the hubs and
    was able to use both of he telephone lines. But this failed after
    about day and has never worked since?

    I assume that this problem is down to IP addresses, DHCP servers
    and other associated parameters, this is not my strongest point of
    understanding.

    The original setup used the IP address range 192.168.1.# with the
    router being 192.168.1.0 The VoIP router has a default IP address
    of 192.168.61.1 Changing this to match the other setting results in
    me not being able to communicate with the device, I assume that
    giving it an IP address rather than the DCHP on the Linksys is the
    problem?

    Can somebody who breaths and talks IP explain in an easy to
    understand format how to overcome the problems and allow me to
    use my network and VoIP device. Ideally, if possible, I want the
    VoIP device connected to one of the hubs.

    Cheers,

    Nick.

    Nick, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Nick

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:44:31 GMT, Nick wrote:

    >I have used a small network around my house for some time,
    >the internet modem feeds a Linksys Cable/DSL router.
    >This is connected to the main PC directly from the router. I

    <snip>

    Have you noticed how many times you haven't had an answer to your post?

    Subject: Network advice.
    Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:56:28 GMT

    Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:19:23 GMT

    Subject: VoIP router
    Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:44:31 GMT

    Does changing the subject help?

    Me

    why?, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Nick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:44:31 GMT, Nick wrote:
    >
    >>I have used a small network around my house for some time,
    >>the internet modem feeds a Linksys Cable/DSL router.
    >>This is connected to the main PC directly from the router. I

    > <snip>
    >
    > Have you noticed how many times you haven't had an answer to your post?

    I did! <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 13, 2005