    a good (cheap) router that well support VOIP properly ?

    Thanks
    Greg
    Greg, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Greg

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I've got several (old) routers; EA 130, ASR-8100,
    > SAR715PV but none of them seem able to support Voip
    > without a proxy. I tried setting the DMZ to my ATA's
    > address but no joy, I guess I need to set the individual
    > ports but it's apparently not possible on any of these
    > router. Seeing that I've already got the ATU's I don't
    > want a combined VOIP router. Anyone recommend a good
    > (cheap) router that well support VOIP properly ?
    > Thanks
    > Greg

    What VoIP provider..? What ATA..? Are you using STUN..?

    Some more info would be helpful..! I must admit I've never come across an
    ATA that wouldn't function with its IP address in the router's DMZ, that
    is an odd one.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    > What VoIP provider..? What ATA..? Are you using STUN..?
    >
    > Some more info would be helpful..! I must admit I've never come across an
    > ATA that wouldn't function with its IP address in the router's DMZ, that
    > is an odd one.

    I've tried a few combinations but for example: ATA - SPA 3000, provider
    1899, router ASR 8100 with DMZ set to ATA. It registers ok, I can ring out
    ok, but only one-way voice ! That is: I can hear them but they cant hear me.

    thanks

    Greg
    Greg, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Greg

    davew Guest

    Greg wrote:
    > I've got several (old) routers; EA 130, ASR-8100, SAR715PV but none of them
    > seem able to support Voip without a proxy. I tried setting the DMZ to my
    > ATA's address but no joy, I guess I need to set the individual ports but
    > it's apparently not possible on any of these router. Seeing that I've
    > already got the ATU's I don't want a combined VOIP router. Anyone recommend
    > a good (cheap) router that well support VOIP properly ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Greg

    I have used the ASR-8100 for VOIP. You will need port forwarding, they
    call it 'Virtual Server'.
    davew, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Greg

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > > What VoIP provider..? What ATA..? Are you using STUN..?
    > >
    > > Some more info would be helpful..! I must admit I've
    > > never come across an ATA that wouldn't function with
    > > its IP address in the router's DMZ, that is an odd one.
    > >

    > I've tried a few combinations but for example: ATA - SPA
    > 3000, provider 1899, router ASR 8100 with DMZ set to ATA.
    > It registers ok, I can ring out ok, but only one-way
    > voice ! That is: I can hear them but they cant hear me.

    One way audio is typical of the ports not being forwarded correctly. I
    don't know about 1899 so can't comment on it specifically, but does it use
    STUN..? Sometimes setting the ATA to use STUN and not forwarding any
    specific ports can work, but to be honest it can sometimes be a hit and
    miss affair, as you've found out..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Greg

    Greg Guest

    > I have used the ASR-8100 for VOIP. You will need port forwarding, they
    > call it 'Virtual Server'.

    Yes tried 'virtual server' but didn't seem to do the trick :-( do you
    remember which port's you opened ?

    greg
    Greg, Aug 27, 2005
  7. Greg

    davew Guest

    Greg wrote:
    >>I have used the ASR-8100 for VOIP. You will need port forwarding, they
    >>call it 'Virtual Server'.

    > Yes tried 'virtual server' but didn't seem to do the trick :-( do you
    > remember which port's you opened ?
    >
    > greg

    It may well be an overkill, but it worked:

    1 5060 5060 5060 TCP 10.0.0.x
    2 5060 5060 5060 UDP 10.0.0.x
    3 5004 5004 5004 UDP 10.0.0.x
    4 10000 10000 10000 UDP 10.0.0.x
    5 16348 16348 16348 UDP 10.0.0.x
    davew, Aug 27, 2005
  8. Greg

    Greg Guest

    > It may well be an overkill, but it worked:
    >
    > 1 5060 5060 5060 TCP 10.0.0.x 2 5060 5060 5060 UDP 10.0.0.x 3 5004 5004
    > 5004 UDP 10.0.0.x 4 10000 10000 10000 UDP 10.0.0.x 5 16348 16348 16348 UDP
    > 10.0.0.x

    Thanks for that Dave, just tried it but still only one-way audio :-(
    It's the exactly same if I try using Xlight. Really do think I need a newer
    router. Thanks again.

    greg
    Greg, Aug 27, 2005
  9. Greg

    Ian Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > I've got several (old) routers; EA 130, ASR-8100, SAR715PV but none of

    them
    > seem able to support Voip without a proxy. I tried setting the DMZ to my
    > ATA's address but no joy, I guess I need to set the individual ports but
    > it's apparently not possible on any of these router. Seeing that I've
    > already got the ATU's I don't want a combined VOIP router. Anyone

    recommend
    > a good (cheap) router that well support VOIP properly ?

    Hi Greg
    I have the 715pv and Yes it happily works with SIP, and IAX. No problem at
    all

    You need to set up the port forwarding. This can be done manually or via the
    very good application that can be downloaded that automates the process.

    I have found the 715 very solid and to date hasnt locked up or needed
    rebooting.

    email me if you wat more info

    Ian
    Ian, Aug 27, 2005
  10. Greg

    davew Guest

    Greg wrote:

    > Thanks for that Dave, just tried it but still only one-way audio :-(
    > It's the exactly same if I try using Xlight. Really do think I need a newer
    > router. Thanks again.

    Hi Greg,

    I've just tried the ASR-8100 with the settings i previously posted. The
    ports were forwarded to my Asterisk Server and it worked. The
    asterisk was not part of the DMZ.

    Just to clarify, the previous settings - did you forward the ports to
    the machine required. ie, if you use X-lite to connect directly to VOIP
    supplier - that IP etc.

    Once the settings have been made, reboot the router for settings to take
    effect.

    As Ivan previous pointed out, this does seem like a typical port
    forwarding issue. Feel free to get a new router, but you'll porbably
    find a similar issue.
    davew, Aug 27, 2005