    be any good

    --
    Marv

    Marv, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Marv

    Guest

    I suspect the router cant handle the voip traffic..
    I dont believe this router has QOS to manage voip calls.
    I recently disposed of my Netgear wireless 108mb router and replaced
    with a Draytel V2800VG (108Mb) wireless router with 2 voip slots. I
    have one standard analog phone connected to the router, one dect phone
    and I also use a starcom wireless phone to connect. The quality is
    astounding where by I cant tell the difference between a BT line and my
    voip lines. It also means I have two business numbers in the house.
    I am using voipcheap and draytel for my router and they both work fine.

    The QOS on the router ensures the calls never cut out or degrade.

    QoS - Quality of Service. An ability (usually when talking about
    Routers) to give priority to particular types of Internet Traffic. eg
    VoIP where you don't want the bandwidth being chewed up by another
    application which might adversely affect the phone call quality.

    Regards

    Marv wrote:
    > I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL broadband
    > connection and very regularly find that my telephone conversations get
    > cut-off at random intervals. After which I am unable to get a dialing
    > tone until I reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).
    >
    > This is leading me to think that it is my router that is at fault. It
    > is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.
    >
    > Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has dedicated
    > VOIP facilities and if so which one would you advise? Not keen on the
    > Netgear TA612V as it ties you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565)
    > be any good?
    >

    > --
    > Marv

    , Jul 19, 2006

  3. Marv

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Marv" <> wrote in message
    > I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL
    > broadband connection and very regularly find that my
    > telephone conversations get cut-off at random intervals.
    > After which I am unable to get a dialing tone until I
    > reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).
    >
    > This is leading me to think that it is my router that is
    > at fault. It is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.
    >
    > Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has
    > dedicated VOIP facilities and if so which one would you
    > advise? Not keen on the Netgear TA612V as it ties you in
    > to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565) be any good?

    I don't know the Zoom model, but I use the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which I got
    from Sipgate. I use the non-wireless version, but there are a couple of
    them now which have wireless built in as well.

    Mine has two phone ports but the beauty of this particular unit is that it
    can accommodate up to 10 SIP accounts, which can be made to ring either or
    both phones. You dial a prefix if you want to dial out on an account other
    than the first two.

    It is desiged for ADSL and so has a built in ADSL modem, but I believe
    this can be disabled with the latest firmware if you want to use it with a
    cable modem. If this is the case, then I recommend the WLAN 7050 model as
    this has 2 Ethernet ports.

    More info at www.avm.de/en

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 19, 2006
  4. Marv

    alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > The QOS on the router ensures the calls never cut out or degrade.
    >
    > QoS - Quality of Service. An ability (usually when talking about
    > Routers) to give priority to particular types of Internet Traffic. eg
    > VoIP where you don't want the bandwidth being chewed up by another
    > application which might adversely affect the phone call quality.

    Don't forget that you can only ever control QoS on *your* network - no
    amount of QoS in your router is going to protect your calls out on the Big
    Bad Internet.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:10:39 up 7 days, 8:50, 3 users, load average: 0.39, 0.44, 0.28

    alexd, Jul 19, 2006
  5. Marv

    Joe Mamma Guest

    Marv wrote:
    > I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL broadband
    > connection and very regularly find that my telephone conversations get
    > cut-off at random intervals. After which I am unable to get a dialing
    > tone until I reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).
    >
    > This is leading me to think that it is my router that is at fault. It
    > is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.
    >
    > Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has dedicated
    > VOIP facilities and if so which one would you advise? Not keen on the
    > Netgear TA612V as it ties you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565)
    > be any good?

    I tried one of these routers ages ago, was awful and voip kept cutting
    out after about 15 or 20 mins. I now have a WRT54GS (not the newer
    model) and it works fine.

    Joe Mamma, Jul 19, 2006
  6. Marv

    alex Guest

    Marv wrote:
    > I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my NTL broadban
    > connection and very regularly find that my telephone conversations ge
    > cut-off at random intervals. After which I am unable to get a dialin
    > tone until I reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).
    >
    > This is leading me to think that it is my router that is at fault. I
    > is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.
    >
    > Would I be better off replacing it with a router that has dedicate
    > VOIP facilities and if so which one would you advise? Not keen on th
    > Netgear TA612V as it ties you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565
    > be any good

    The AVM kit is where it's at.

    http://www.voiptalk.org/FritzBox

    They're very nice devices and the setup is pretty straight forward. Of
    course, I might be slightly biased now we're a disti for them :p but
    they really are ace.

    Alex

    alex, Jul 19, 2006
  7. Marv

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "alex" <> wrote in message
    > Marv wrote:
    > > I am currently using the Sipgate VOIP service via my
    > > NTL broadban connection and very regularly find that my
    > > telephone conversations ge cut-off at random intervals.
    > > After which I am unable to get a dialin tone until I
    > > reset my router (i.e. turn it off & on).
    > >
    > > This is leading me to think that it is my router that
    > > is at fault. I is a Linksys BEFSR41 model.
    > >
    > > Would I be better off replacing it with a router that
    > > has dedicate VOIP facilities and if so which one would
    > > you advise? Not keen on th Netgear TA612V as it ties
    > > you in to Sipgate, would the Zoom X5 (5565 be any good

    > The AVM kit is where it's at.
    >
    > http://www.voiptalk.org/FritzBox
    >
    > They're very nice devices and the setup is pretty
    > straight forward. Of course, I might be slightly biased
    > now we're a disti for them :p but they really are ace.
    >
    > Alex

    Couldn't agree more, notice you've got the plain ATA version as well,
    useful for cable users, Sipgate have never sold that in the UK for some
    strange reason.

    I've been using the ADSL non-wireless version for over a year now and
    can't fault it, except the codes for selecting an additional account (not
    one of the first two) aren't clearly documented and also seem to require
    an additional # to get a dial tone. I also get a German dial tone and ring
    tone, that doesn't seem to have been addressed in the latest firmware,
    even though UK is selected.

    I'd also like to see a Sipura style config page where these things can be
    changed, but I'm nit-picking really, it's a great device.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Marv

    Martin² Guest

    Zyxel 2602HW is ADSL2+, WiFi, 2x VoIP modem router and has got the QoS
    facility.
    It uses the latest TI chipset and the ADSL sensitivity and performance is
    excellent.
    As it happens I have one new, boxed for sale (the WiFi doesn't work in my
    house).
    Retails at £155, open to reasonable offers.
    Regards,
    Martin at gsoft dot freeserve dot co dot uk

    Martin², Jul 20, 2006
  9. Marv

    mattpark Guest

    I dont think any of the netgear range of routers have QoS, unless you
    move in to the business devices.

    mattpark, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Marv

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: re:VOIP Router Advice Required

    "mattpark" <-spam.invalid> wrote
    in message news:
    > I dont think any of the netgear range of routers have
    > QoS, unless you move in to the business devices.

    All the AVM range do. The wireless ones are also AFAIK the only ones to
    come shipped with wireless security set to on, although I seem to remember
    someone else is now doing this, but not sure if/who.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 20, 2006