    VOIP?

    Regards

    John

    John Ryger Smith, May 23, 2005

  2. John Ryger Smith

    7 Guest

    John Ryger Smith wrote:

    > Hello all
    >
    > I would like to replace my Samsung DCS 2 telephone system with a VOIP
    > system for my office.
    >
    > I have 15 keyphones and 3 pot phones (2 fax machines and a cordless phone)
    >
    > I have talked to newvoicemedia about how they can handle calls with a pc
    > software front end and they say they can do it, however I am looking for
    > some VOIP hardware that has at least 24 ports. Has anyone got any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > Is it too soon to ditch my trusted Samsung and my 3 BT ISDN2's and go for
    > VOIP?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John

    Just a thought...
    VoIP hardware doesn't need ports in the way you describe.

    You just connect as many ethernet phones to your ethernet switch (or hub)
    and connect that to the router and you have your fully
    operation VoIP system without an exchange.

    A 16 port 10/100 switch you can buy from www.ebuyer.com for under 20 quid.
    So two of those is enough to connect all your phones.

    The SIP ethernet phones themselves I am not familiar with yet
    but you can get the ethernet box to convert standard analog (POT) phone
    for 80 quid. I'm sure there are cheaper things out there if someone
    cares to fill us in with details of what and where to purchase,
    I am very interested.

    After setting up, your VoIP service provider will give
    you a phone number for each ethernet phone you have.

    You can get free software phones (some of them open source)
    that uses the microphone and speaker
    of your PC/laptop to communicate. You can set them up with same
    or different telephone numbers allocated by your VoIP service provider.

    Once set up, your PC can be anywhere in the world connected
    to internet by broadband and it will ring when that phone
    number is dialled!

    Its all fantastic when you have it all set up and working!

    7, May 23, 2005