Voip recommendation

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Carl Waring, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Hello all!

    Sorry to just jump in like this. Don't know if there's an FAQ for this group
    that might cover this stuff. However....

    http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/

    Anyone with experience of this service?

    I'm interested in using them in future for calls to a Spanish Mobile. Looks
    like .5ppm to me, if I'm reading it right!

    I don't want to use a Voip provider as my /main/ source of calls as I have
    an "inclusive" package with my phone provider.

    Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I assume
    it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?

    Thanks.

    --
    Carl Waring
    DigiGuide:

    Carl Waring, Nov 17, 2008

  2. Carl Waring

    Graham. Guest

    "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > Sorry to just jump in like this. Don't know if there's an FAQ for this
    > group that might cover this stuff. However....
    >
    > http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/
    >
    > Anyone with experience of this service?
    >
    > I'm interested in using them in future for calls to a Spanish Mobile.
    > Looks like .5ppm to me, if I'm reading it right!
    >
    > I don't want to use a Voip provider as my /main/ source of calls as I have
    > an "inclusive" package with my phone provider.
    >
    > Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I
    > assume it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
    http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

    Yes I used voipcheap.co.uk, but subsequently moved to
    voipcheap.com and then smslisto.com because my
    calls were mainly UK landline and mobile.
    It looks to me that poivy.com might be an even better bet
    at 5.5eurocents/min with "inclusive" Spanish and UK landlines.

    The service from all these Betamax clones is excellent, support
    is non-existent, but that's what this Newsgroup is for.

    If your Vonage ATA is a Linksys PAP2 from the days when
    you could get them at Comet and PC World, then I did
    manage to unlock one, its still going strong, but my understanding
    is it's only successful if it's never been exposed to the internet
    prior to unlocking.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 17, 2008

  3. Carl Waring

    Fred Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:39:23 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >The service from all these Betamax clones is excellent, support
    >is non-existent, but that's what this Newsgroup is for.

    I agree.
    Good performance from my SMSlisto.com
    I have Poivy.com already set up. Can make free 60 second calls to
    landlines.

    >If your Vonage ATA is a Linksys PAP2 from the days when
    >you could get them at Comet and PC World, then I did
    >manage to unlock one, its still going strong, but my understanding
    >is it's only successful if it's never been exposed to the internet
    >prior to unlocking.

    I see e-bay has plenty of "unlocked" Linksys PAP2.

    Fred, Nov 17, 2008
  4. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Graham. wrote:
    > "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello all!
    >>
    >> Sorry to just jump in like this. Don't know if there's an FAQ for
    >> this group that might cover this stuff. However....
    >>
    >> http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/
    >>
    >> Anyone with experience of this service?
    >>
    >> I'm interested in using them in future for calls to a Spanish Mobile.
    >> Looks like .5ppm to me, if I'm reading it right!
    >>
    >> I don't want to use a Voip provider as my /main/ source of calls as
    >> I have an "inclusive" package with my phone provider.
    >>
    >> Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I
    >> assume it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
    > http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

    Betamax? That's an old video-tape format as far as I know ;-)

    Carl Waring, Nov 18, 2008
  5. In article <gfua3k$n17$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >Carl Waring wrote:
    >
    >> Betamax? That's an old video-tape format as far as I know ;-)

    >Went the same way as Video2000 didn't it?
    >Remember those L.P. sized double sided CD things?
    >
    >I believe Betamax was actually a superior format to VHS as the tape went
    >through a less abusive path over the heads but Sanyo refused to allow
    >anyone else to use the format which killed it.
    >
    >Or so I remember my grand parents telling me.
    >;¬)

    Only because the truth (as I understand it) was too embarassing for them -
    the porn industry adopted it as it came in at the right price...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 18, 2008
  6. In article <gfuf9a$422$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> Only because the truth (as I understand it) was too embarassing for them -
    >> the porn industry adopted it as it came in at the right price...
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >LOL
    >That's bizarre.
    >:¬)

    You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the Internet
    the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8 with sound,
    then replaced by VHS and DVD.

    Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
    streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them all,
    and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video to a
    mobile phone?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 19, 2008
  7. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <gfuf9a$422$>,
    > www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >> Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Only because the truth (as I understand it) was too embarassing for
    >>> them - the porn industry adopted it as it came in at the right
    >>> price...
    >>>
    >>> Gordon

    >> LOL
    >> That's bizarre.
    >>> ¬)

    > You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the
    > Internet the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8 with
    > sound, then replaced by VHS and DVD.
    >
    > Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
    > streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them all,
    > and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video to a
    > mobile phone?
    >
    > Gordon

    So, no-one's actually going to tell me why the term is now used in VOIP
    then? :-(

    Carl Waring, Nov 19, 2008
  8. Carl Waring

    Graham. Guest

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Carl Waring was thinking very hard :
    >> Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >>> You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the
    >>> Internet the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8 with
    >>> sound, then replaced by VHS and DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
    >>> streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them all,
    >>> and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video to a
    >>> mobile phone?
    >>>
    >>> Gordon

    >> So, no-one's actually going to tell me why the term is now used in VOIP
    >> then? :-(

    > It's not a term, it's a name
    >
    > <http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=betamax+gmbh&meta=>

    It's closly related to Finarea of 18866/1899 fame.

    Graham., Nov 19, 2008
  9. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:51:59 -0000, "Carl Waring"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >>> You think so? I reckon the porn industry built "media" and the
    >>> Internet the way it is today - home movies - 8mm film to Super 8
    >>> with sound, then replaced by VHS and DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Online High resolution full colour images, streaming videos, Live
    >>> streaming video, I reckon we can thank the porn industry for them
    >>> all, and the technology behind it. And why else can we stream video
    >>> to a mobile phone?
    >>>
    >>> Gordon

    >> So, no-one's actually going to tell me why the term is now used in
    >> VOIP then? :-(

    > It's not a term, but the name of the company.

    I know that. What I don't know is why is it used in VOIP?

    As in...

    Graham. wrote:
    > Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
    > http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

    Which goes on to compare VOIP pricing. I assume I just mis-understood then
    and the owner of that site just used "betamax" as a random directory name or
    something?

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <> wrote in
    message news:gg3cko$gpv$...
    > Carl Waring wrote:
    >
    >> Graham. wrote:
    >>> Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
    >>> http://www.backsla.sh/betamax
    >>>

    >> Which goes on to compare VOIP pricing. I assume I just mis-understood
    >> then
    >> and the owner of that site just used "betamax" as a random directory name
    >> or
    >> something?

    > Nope. Betamax is one company which re-generates it's self as all those
    > "companies" listed on the site.
    >
    > If you visit them you will see a similarity right through the sites.
    >
    > In the same way I have many differrent web sites that all appear to be
    > different stores yet all phone numbers come through to our one humble
    > shop and answered by one of 3 people.
    >
    > Certain Betamax clones have better rates for differrent countries.
    > The trick is to find the one that suits your purpose best. Or if the
    > savings are great enough you can have multiple accounts used fr
    > different countries.
    >
    > With ALL the betamax clone companies you get free minutes everytime you
    > top up your account.
    >
    > All my national and international calls are free because the account is
    > toppd up every few months as I use it to call customers mobile phones
    > (very cheaply)

    Thanks for the info.

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  11. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message
    >> Also, I have a Vonage adapter here from when I tried their service. I
    >> assume it will be 'locked' to them? Any way to easily 'unlock' it?

    > If your Vonage ATA is a Linksys PAP2 from the days when
    > you could get them at Comet and PC World, then I did
    > manage to unlock one, its still going strong, but my understanding
    > is it's only successful if it's never been exposed to the internet
    > prior to unlocking.

    Well that's that idea blown then. I got my on a free trial from Vonage
    themselves :-(

    Is it worth putting on Ebay?

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  12. Carl Waring

    Soruk Guest

    On 2008-11-20, Rob <> wrote:

    > "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <> wrote in
    > message news:gg3cko$gpv$...
    >

    >> With ALL the betamax clone companies you get free minutes everytime you
    >> top up your account.

    > Hmm ... not sure about ALL ....
    >
    > I opened an Intervoip account a couple of months or so ago (for cheap calls
    > to mobiles) and didn't get ANY free days.

    True, same here. I got that as it was the best rate to Estonia Mobile,
    and pretty good for UK mobile too, leaving my Voipcheap.com credit for
    normal landlines once the freedays ran out.

    > I know there is some variation between the various betamax clones regarding
    > the number of free days given (e.g. 90, 120), but it seems there is at least
    > 1 where you don't get any free days.

    Who is offering the 120 days?

    Soruk, Nov 20, 2008
  13. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    >>> [Betamax] It's not a term, but the name of the company.

    >> I know that. What I don't know is why is it used in VOIP?

    > See my reply to you 19/11/08 08:05

    Ahh, right. I did click on the link and just thought it was a list of
    referenced to the word. My apologies for not looking deeper into it.

    Carl Waring, Nov 20, 2008
  14. Carl Waring

    Graham. Guest

    "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <> wrote in
    message news:gg3cko$gpv$...
    > Carl Waring wrote:
    >
    >> Graham. wrote:
    >>> Here is an excellent Betamax comparison site,
    >>> http://www.backsla.sh/betamax
    >>>

    >> Which goes on to compare VOIP pricing. I assume I just mis-understood
    >> then
    >> and the owner of that site just used "betamax" as a random directory name
    >> or
    >> something?

    > Nope. Betamax is one company which re-generates it's self as all those
    > "companies" listed on the site.
    >
    > If you visit them you will see a similarity right through the sites.

    And a username registered on one, canot be used on another.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 20, 2008
  15. Carl Waring

    Soruk Guest

    On 2008-11-21, Rob <> wrote:
    > Maybe I should have checked out Intervoip a bit more carefully before
    > opening my account!

    I opened mine knowing it had no freedays, but I've also set my VoIP
    switch to only route UK Mobile and Estonia Mobile calls through that
    route. Most others go through voipcheap.com.

    Soruk, Nov 25, 2008