    better choices?

    Thanks.

    Rich

    Rich, May 13, 2007

  2. Rich

    Jono Guest

    on 13/05/2007, Rich supposed :
    > Hi
    >
    > Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA STAY
    > UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my current skype setup that
    > keeps crashing upon shutdown (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm not a heavy
    > user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.
    >
    > Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.
    >
    > Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or are there
    > better choices?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Rich

    voip.co.uk might also be worth a look - £1.99 per month - inclusive w/e
    & e calls to landlines plus daytime calls to 01/02 @ 2p per call.

    Jono, May 13, 2007

  3. Rich

    News Reader Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA STAY
    > UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my current skype setup that
    > keeps crashing upon shutdown (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm not a heavy
    > user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.
    >
    > Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.
    >
    > Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or are there
    > better choices?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Rich

    Hi,

    www.vyke.co.uk seem pretty good - ~2 p/call I understand to most all of
    Western Europe (including the UK) and US / Canada, etc. with no subscription
    charge.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Alternatively, their are "unlimited" providers but these tend to be
    more variable and "qualified".

    News Reader, May 13, 2007
  4. Rich

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA
    > STAY UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my
    > current skype setup that keeps crashing upon shutdown
    > (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm
    > not a heavy user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.
    >
    > Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.
    >
    > Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or
    > are there better choices?

    They're fine, they've had some bad press but since they upgraded their
    registration servers last year I've not had a single outage on 4 accounts.

    PAYG so call costs easy to control. Give them a try, free to set up, easy
    to cancel if you decide on something else.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 13, 2007
  5. Rich

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:58:07 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA
    >> STAY UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my
    >> current skype setup that keeps crashing upon shutdown
    >> (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm
    >> not a heavy user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.
    >>
    >> Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.
    >>
    >> Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or
    >> are there better choices?

    >They're fine, they've had some bad press but since they upgraded their
    >registration servers last year I've not had a single outage on 4 accounts.
    >
    >PAYG so call costs easy to control. Give them a try, free to set up, easy
    >to cancel if you decide on something else.
    >

    >Ivor

    No comment has been made about an incoming geographic number.
    If you go for the voip.co.uk package (£20/year or £1.99/month), as
    Jono suggested, you'll get a number with it. This gets my thumbs up
    too!

    Also, Sipgate give you a geo number.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 13, 2007
  6. Rich

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 20:23:59 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >If you go for the voip.co.uk package (£20/year or £1.99/month), as
    >Jono suggested, you'll get a number with it. This gets my thumbs up
    >too!

    Voip.co.uk provide nothing short of an excellent service and with a UK
    pack 19.98 pr year hourly calls cost 2p in the daytime and free after
    6pm and all weekend .

    , May 13, 2007
  7. Rich

    News Reader Guest

    "News Reader" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Just purchased a "LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA STAY
    >> UNLOCKED" from ebay. Wanted it to replace my current skype setup that
    >> keeps crashing upon shutdown (nasty chinese drivers and no fix).
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a provider to use in the UK. I'm not a heavy
    >> user maybe 30 minutes a week of calls.
    >>
    >> Only call UK 01 02 phone numbers.
    >>
    >> Looking at sipgate at the moment - are they any good or are there
    >> better choices?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Rich

    > Hi,
    >
    > www.vyke.co.uk seem pretty good - ~2 p/call I understand to most all of
    > Western Europe (including the UK) and US / Canada, etc. with no
    > subscription charge.
    >

    > Best wishes,
    >

    > News Reader
    >

    > P.s. Alternatively, their are "unlimited" providers but these tend to be
    > more variable and "qualified".

    Hi,

    Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
    hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
    destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
    subscription charge. :)

    I am not biased nor a customer - just sounds very very good where voip.co.uk
    only seem good. You can always use Vyke for outgoing and SIPgate for
    incoming if an incoming number is necessary.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, May 13, 2007
  8. Rich

    News Reader Guest

    News Reader, May 13, 2007
  9. Rich

    Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:34:47 +0100, "News Reader" <>
    wrote:

    >> www.vyke.co.uk seem pretty good - ~2 p/call I understand to most all of
    >> Western Europe (including the UK) and US / Canada, etc. with no
    >> subscription
    >> charge.

    >Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
    >hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
    >destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
    >subscription charge. :)

    From what I have seen they only provide a service via desktop
    application I haven't seen any info regards using an ATA with their
    service .

    , May 13, 2007
  10. Rich

    Brian A Guest

    >Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
    >hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
    >destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
    >subscription charge. :)
    >
    >I am not biased nor a customer - just sounds very very good where voip.co.uk
    >only seem good. You can always use Vyke for outgoing and SIPgate for
    >incoming if an incoming number is necessary.

    I am a customer. I used Vyke for a while for my UK calls. However,
    calls sometimes drop out, the quality is poor or the audio works
    just one way. I still use Vyke, it is good value for money, and have
    tried their SMS sevice, which I have found to be good. However, for UK
    calls, if you want good audio quality, value and reliability I'd
    choose voip.co.uk.
    The only downside is the poor voicemail. It is well over a year ago
    when they said they would improve it. I don't use it now but I would
    guess that nothing has been done - it amazes me because you'd think
    they would want to put a shine on their service. I use Voxalot with
    voip.co.uk and other operators. It works very well.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 14, 2007
  11. Rich

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:52:15 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:34:47 +0100, "News Reader" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>> www.vyke.co.uk seem pretty good - ~2 p/call I understand to most all of
    >>> Western Europe (including the UK) and US / Canada, etc. with no
    >>> subscription
    >>> charge.

    >>Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
    >>hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
    >>destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
    >>subscription charge. :)

    >From what I have seen they only provide a service via desktop
    >application I haven't seen any info regards using an ATA with their
    >service .

    No, their service works with an ATA just the same as any other SIP
    operator.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 14, 2007
  12. Rich

    News Reader Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    >>Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
    >>hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for
    >>UK
    >>destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
    >>subscription charge. :)
    >>
    >>I am not biased nor a customer - just sounds very very good where
    >>voip.co.uk
    >>only seem good. You can always use Vyke for outgoing and SIPgate for
    >>incoming if an incoming number is necessary.

    > I am a customer. I used Vyke for a while for my UK calls. However,
    > calls sometimes drop out, the quality is poor or the audio works
    > just one way. I still use Vyke, it is good value for money, and have
    > tried their SMS sevice, which I have found to be good. However, for UK
    > calls, if you want good audio quality, value and reliability I'd
    > choose voip.co.uk.
    > The only downside is the poor voicemail. It is well over a year ago
    > when they said they would improve it. I don't use it now but I would
    > guess that nothing has been done - it amazes me because you'd think
    > they would want to put a shine on their service. I use Voxalot with
    > voip.co.uk and other operators. It works very well.
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Hi,

    Thank you very very much. Their is nothing better than first hand reports.

    It would be great to have some further comparative reports to confirm this
    is not localised or anomalous to your situation (provider, equipment,
    configuration, or any other).

    I really appreciate your input - that is undoubtedly amongst the, if not
    the, most informative experiential report on Vyke and from a UK user to :) -
    many thanks again.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, May 14, 2007
  13. Rich

    Heidy Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:52:15 GMT, wrote:

    >>> Just in case it wasn't clear. Vyke provided unlimited duration (not just 1
    >>> hour or some x p/min rate after a certain time) for 2 p and not just for UK
    >>> destinations (but all of Western Europe + the US and Canada) ... AND no
    >>> subscription charge. :)

    >>From what I have seen they only provide a service via desktop
    >> application I haven't seen any info regards using an ATA with their
    >> service .

    > No, their service works with an ATA just the same as any other SIP
    > operator.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Hi how com no ones mentioning Vonage.co.uk ?
    here good or bad experiences?

    Heidy

    Heidy, May 27, 2007
  14. Rich

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Heidy" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Hi how com no ones mentioning Vonage.co.uk ?
    > here good or bad experiences?

    Well for a start, they're expensive, have no free interconnection with
    other providers and the equipment they supply is locked. Wouldn't touch
    them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 27, 2007
  15. Rich

    Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 17:03:33 +0100, Heidy
    <> wrote:

    >Hi how com no ones mentioning Vonage.co.uk ?
    >here good or bad experiences?

    Nothing at all wrong with Vonage providing you have the usage
    of such a service that warrants the little extra expense over and
    above all others even though Vonage cost less than 25p day .
    Many people will spend a lot more than that before they have been in a
    pub or club five minutes tonight and flush the lot down the toilet
    before closing time .

    , May 27, 2007
  16. Rich

    Heidy Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Heidy" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Hi how com no ones mentioning Vonage.co.uk ?
    >> here good or bad experiences?

    > Well for a start, they're expensive, have no free interconnection with
    > other providers and the equipment they supply is locked. Wouldn't touch
    > them.
    >
    > Ivor

    Damn it I fell for them hook line and sinker but everyones got to learn
    somewhere called the "learning curve" :)

    Heidy

    --
    http://snipurl.com/1jp9q

    http://snipurl.com/1joyw

    http://snipurl.com/1kocq

    http://snipurl.com/1kocr

    http://www.nolongerlonely.com

    Heidy, May 27, 2007
  17. Rich

    Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:19:07 +0100, Heidy
    <> wrote:

    >Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> "Heidy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Hi how com no ones mentioning Vonage.co.uk ?
    >>> here good or bad experiences?

    >> Well for a start, they're expensive, have no free interconnection with
    >> other providers and the equipment they supply is locked. Wouldn't touch
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    >Damn it I fell for them hook line and sinker but everyones got to learn
    >somewhere called the "learning curve" :)

    What you on about Heidy take no notice of Ivor I have only been
    subscribing to this forum for a short while and I am very quickly
    growing to detest the sight of him .

    , May 27, 2007
  18. Rich

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:19:07 +0100, Heidy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > > "Heidy" <> wrote in
    > > > message
    > > >
    > > > [snip]

    > > > Well for a start, they're expensive, have no free
    > > > interconnection with other providers and the
    > > > equipment they supply is locked. Wouldn't touch them.
    > > >
    > > > Ivor
    > > >

    > > Damn it I fell for them hook line and sinker but
    > > everyones got to learn somewhere called the "learning
    > > curve" :)

    > What you on about Heidy take no notice of Ivor I have
    > only been subscribing to this forum for a short while and
    > I am very quickly growing to detest the sight of him .

    Yawn. Vonage is ok if you have the calling pattern to warrant the expense
    and don't mind the limitations. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

    And this *still* isn't a forum, Ron.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 27, 2007
  19. Rich

    Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:49:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >And this *still* isn't a forum, Ron.

    Who is he Ivor you been on the booze again?.

    , May 27, 2007
  20. Rich

    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:19:07 +0100, Heidy
    >> <> wrote:

    >> > Damn it I fell for them hook line and sinker but
    >> > everyones got to learn somewhere called the "learning
    >> > curve" :)

    >> What you on about Heidy take no notice of Ivor I have
    >> only been subscribing to this forum for a short while and
    >> I am very quickly growing to detest the sight of him .

    >Yawn. Vonage is ok if you have the calling pattern to warrant the expense
    >and don't mind the limitations. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
    >
    >And this *still* isn't a forum, Ron.
    >
    >Ivor

    There you go gain Ivor seeing me round every corner if only you had
    taken the trouble to check the headers you would have found that the
    above message was posted via a BY account and my BY account as been
    closed for around six weeks now .
    Get your facts right before insinuating that I am posting stuff that I
    am most certainly not , oh by the way Ivor have you reconciled
    yourself to the fact that you ARE a European weather you like it or
    not ? and this is also a FORUM weather you like it or not also .

    , May 27, 2007