    to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

    Regards

    Mark
    Mark Scott, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Mark Scott

    Ian Guest

    "Mark Scott" <mark - scott @ blueyonder . co . uk> wrote in message
    news:eek:b2Je.118719$...
    > I have signed up for Skype and Sipgate for VoIP services however I notice
    > that Sipgate requires an ethernet phone and is not compatible with USB
    > handsets, is this correct?

    No not realy, Sipgate or any other SIP based voip service can be used with
    what is called a softphone, such as xtens http://www.xten.com Xlite or
    firefly at https://www.virbiage.com/download.php firefly is good as it
    supports both sip and iax, you then will need to specify the mic and speaker
    of the usb phone as the sound sources for the softphone. more than likely
    you wil have to dial with he softphone unless you are very lucky

    > If this is correct then how can I connect the Ethernet phone to my PC as I
    > am on the remote end of a wireless connection - the broadband link comes
    > into the house downstairs where I have a Belkin Pre-N router, my PC here

    has
    > a wireless card installed.

    dependon on OS you could bridge the intefaces.

    > I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it

    up
    > to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

    yes see above. but this depends on OS

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Mark Scott

    Graham Guest

    > I have signed up for Skype and Sipgate for VoIP services however I notice
    > that Sipgate requires an ethernet phone and is not compatible with USB
    > handsets, is this correct?
    >
    > If this is correct then how can I connect the Ethernet phone to my PC as I
    > am on the remote end of a wireless connection - the broadband link comes
    > into the house downstairs where I have a Belkin Pre-N router, my PC here

    has
    > a wireless card installed.
    >
    > I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it

    up
    > to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?
    >
    > Regards

    Why don't you plug an ATA into one of the ethernet ports of the router, and
    a DECT base into the ATA?

    Unless you are using a softphone, it seems daft to have your PC in the VoIP
    equation at all.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 6, 2005
  4. On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:38:44 GMT, "Mark Scott" <mark - scott @
    blueyonder . co . uk> wrote:

    >I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it up
    >to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

    use Internet Connection Sharing to feed the ATA via a crossover cable
    from the ethernet port of a wirelessly connected PC

    http://www.yarwell.blogspot.com/

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Mark Scott

    Martin² Guest

    As already suggested, the easiest solution is a DECT phone plugged into ATA
    which in turn plugs into an ethernet port of a router. Router with built in
    VoIP ports (Draytek, Zyxel, Zoom) is even better as it can set priority for
    voice traffic - aka QoS.
    Finally you can buy a WiFi VoIP phone such as Zyxel 2000W, which will even
    work with Hot Spots in public places, but they are still darn expensive
    ~£150 (was £200).
    Some day soon (or so they say...) there will be GSM mobile phones with WiFi
    VoIP built in,
    but I am not holding my breath.

    I use Voipbuster and Xten softphones over WiFi and have QoS with Draytek
    2600VG router,
    will switch to DECT as soon as I find suitable handset / deal.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Aug 7, 2005