    vonage's RT31p2? (Understand I will lose wireless so this a last
    resort)

    Thank you in advance.

    antgoodlife, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Here's the link to the Linksys knowledgebase to configure QOS on the WRT54G:

    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...TEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1xb3M*&p_li=&p_topview=1

    If the link doesn't work (too long), go to Linksys support, select your
    router and search for QOS.

    Esteban

    Esteban Nunez, Mar 24, 2006

  3. antgoodlife

    Rick Merrill Guest

    antgoodlife wrote:
    > I have just subscribed to Vonage, and received their RT31P2 Linksys
    > Router. I currently have a Wireless Linksys WRT54G v3.1 Router. I
    > plugged the RT31P2 into a port on my current router ...

    You 've got it backwards: in most cases the ATA needs to be between the modem and the router so that it can perform QoS.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 24, 2006
  4. antgoodlife

    Onion Knight Guest

    "Rick Merrill" <> wrote:
    > antgoodlife wrote:
    >> I have just subscribed to Vonage, and received their RT31P2 Linksys
    >> Router. I currently have a Wireless Linksys WRT54G v3.1 Router. I
    >> plugged the RT31P2 into a port on my current router ...

    > You 've got it backwards: in most cases the ATA needs to be between the
    > modem and the router so that it can perform QoS.

    In addition to that sound advice...

    I'm not sure how Vonage works - if the RTP streams always use the same
    ports or if they are random within a range. If that is the case, then I
    don't think the Linksys will allow you to make a range of ports a priority.
    What you can do is make all your other common internet traffic (http [80],
    pop3/smtp [110,25] and ftp [21]) ports low priority. If you are using other
    apps (like Bittorrent) you at least may know what ports they use and give
    those a low priority as well. That should by default let your VoIP calls
    have higher priority.

    --
    OK

    Onion Knight, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Not necessarily. Some VoIP companies prefer the ATA in front and others
    behind the router. Whichever device comes first (closer to the outside
    world) is the one where you configure QoS.

    Before even looking into QoS, try in front vs. behind and see if you get
    different results.

    I'm with SunRocket and I have my ATA behind the router. I don't have QoS
    turned on and my performance is good on a 5/2 connection.

    Esteban

    Esteban Nunez, Mar 25, 2006