    Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    any other ideas (without Asterisk !)

    Dave
    Dave, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Dave

    ACDeag Guest

    Dave formulated the question :
    > Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    > any other ideas (without Asterisk !)
    >
    > Dave

    voip.co.uk allows you to choose another CID, so long as you can prove
    to them that you are entitled to it.
    ACDeag, Feb 17, 2007

  3. Dave

    Jono Guest

    Dave has brought this to us :
    > Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    > any other ideas (without Asterisk !)
    >
    > Dave

    Ah, the good old days of 1899voip - could spoof any number.

    The only one I use now is voipcheap.com, however you can only present a
    mobile number, that you have access to as there is a procedure to go
    through with a text message/activation code.
    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  4. Dave

    Graham Guest

    > Ah, the good old days of 1899voip - could spoof any number.

    That was *almost* my experience too.
    I could spoof most numbers as long as they were included in the list to
    use your 1899 account, but some selected ones proved impossible.
    Significantly, I couldn't present my own BT landline number.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Dave

    Jono Guest

    on 17/02/2007, Graham supposed :

    >> Ah, the good old days of 1899voip - could spoof any number.

    > That was *almost* my experience too.
    > I could spoof most numbers as long as they were included in the list to
    > use your 1899 account, but some selected ones proved impossible.
    > Significantly, I couldn't present my own BT landline number.

    One of the things that stopped me even trying was that if the person's
    number I had spoofed actually dialled 1899xxx. I would've ended up
    paying for the call.......that & it wouldn't have been legal, of
    course.
    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  6. Dave

    Guest

    On Feb 17, 6:00 pm, "Dave" <> wrote:
    > Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    > any other ideas (without Asterisk !)
    >
    > Dave

    Try www.voipgate.com - you can set cli for any number you can receive
    an incoming call to (for them to verify).

    Cheers,
    Mark
    , Feb 18, 2007
  7. Dave wrote:
    > Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    > any other ideas (without Asterisk !)

    yes, we do, given the right paperwork being signed.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Feb 18, 2007
  8. Dave

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    > any other ideas (without Asterisk !)

    Entacall allow it if you can prove you own the number.

    Regards

    Jon
    Jon Farmer, Feb 18, 2007
  9. Dave

    PhilT Guest

    On 17 Feb, 18:00, "Dave" <> wrote:
    > Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    > any other ideas (without Asterisk !)

    I had a similar question asked of me - is it possible to put the CLI
    of the original caller onto a call when forwarded via a SIP
    provider ? From the replies so far the answer looks to be "no" as
    people as concerned about ownership of numbers and pre-authorisation.
    The PABX supplier says they can do it but the outcome depends on the
    service provider.

    The situation involved a small PABX taking incoming calls and using an
    IVR menu to offer the calling party a choice of numbers which were
    then called via mobiles (field staff out on the road). The idea of the
    variable CID was to allow the recipient of the forwarded call to have
    a number to call back if for example they lost the mobile signal and
    the call dropped.

    Any chance ?

    Phil
    PhilT, Feb 19, 2007
  10. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilT" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The situation involved a small PABX taking incoming calls
    > and using an IVR menu to offer the calling party a choice
    > of numbers which were then called via mobiles (field
    > staff out on the road). The idea of the variable CID was
    > to allow the recipient of the forwarded call to have a
    > number to call back if for example they lost the mobile
    > signal and the call dropped.
    >
    > Any chance ?

    I don't know of any such solution, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    In any case, convention has always dictated that in the event of a dropped
    call, the originator of that call attempts to re-establish it, so it would
    be up to the caller to try again, not the recipient.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 19, 2007
  11. Dave

    Jono Guest

    PhilT wrote:
    > On 17 Feb, 18:00, "Dave" <> wrote:
    >> Hello, What VOIP providers allow spoofing of CID (with an Asterisk Box) ..or
    >> any other ideas (without Asterisk !)

    > I had a similar question asked of me - is it possible to put the CLI
    > of the original caller onto a call when forwarded via a SIP
    > provider ? From the replies so far the answer looks to be "no" as
    > people as concerned about ownership of numbers and pre-authorisation.
    > The PABX supplier says they can do it but the outcome depends on the
    > service provider.
    >
    > The situation involved a small PABX taking incoming calls and using an
    > IVR menu to offer the calling party a choice of numbers which were
    > then called via mobiles (field staff out on the road). The idea of the
    > variable CID was to allow the recipient of the forwarded call to have
    > a number to call back if for example they lost the mobile signal and
    > the call dropped.
    >
    > Any chance ?

    There is a detailed write up of this very thing somewhere on the
    NerdVittles blog at <http://nerdvittels.com>

    When I call forward using a Sipura SPA3000, the caller's CLI remains
    intact, by the way, even on calls from the PSTN. (Not call transfer)
    Jono, Feb 19, 2007
  12. Dave

    PhilT Guest

    On 19 Feb, 18:12, Jono <> wrote:
    > There is a detailed write up of this very thing somewhere on the
    > NerdVittles blog at <http://nerdvittels.com>

    thanks, will have a look.

    > When I call forward using a Sipura SPA3000, the caller's CLI remains
    > intact, by the way, even on calls from the PSTN. (Not call transfer)- Hide quoted text -

    are you forwarding via an ITSP (if so which one) or just forwarding
    the SIP call to a different place ?

    Phil
    PhilT, Feb 19, 2007
  13. Dave

    Jono Guest

    on 19/02/2007, PhilT supposed :
    > On 19 Feb, 18:12, Jono <> wrote:
    >> There is a detailed write up of this very thing somewhere on the
    >> NerdVittles blog at <http://nerdvittels.com>

    > thanks, will have a look.
    >
    >> When I call forward using a Sipura SPA3000, the caller's CLI remains
    >> intact, by the way, even on calls from the PSTN. (Not call transfer)- Hide
    >> quoted text -

    > are you forwarding via an ITSP (if so which one) or just forwarding
    > the SIP call to a different place ?

    Forwarding via Sipgate.

    Inbound PSTN==>SPA3000==>Sipgate Account==>Remote Sipgate account
    Jono, Feb 19, 2007
  14. Ivor Jones wrote:

    > In any case, convention has always dictated that in the event of a dropped
    > call, the originator of that call attempts to re-establish it, so it would
    > be up to the caller to try again, not the recipient.

    You clearly don't have customers to deal with.
    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 20, 2007
  15. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:KxACh.30112$
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > In any case, convention has always dictated that in the
    > > event of a dropped call, the originator of that call
    > > attempts to re-establish it, so it would be up to the
    > > caller to try again, not the recipient.

    > You clearly don't have customers to deal with.

    Sorry, you've lost me. If a call drops, it's up to the caller to
    re-establish it, that's always been the convention with everyone I know
    for as long as I can remember.

    If you call me, presumably you want to talk to me. If the call drops, you
    will call me again if you want to carry on talking to me. Why should I
    call you at my expense when it was you who initiated the conversation..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 20, 2007
  16. Dave

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones has brought this to us :
    > "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    > message news:KxACh.30112$
    >> Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> > In any case, convention has always dictated that in the
    >> > event of a dropped call, the originator of that call
    >> > attempts to re-establish it, so it would be up to the
    >> > caller to try again, not the recipient.

    >> You clearly don't have customers to deal with.

    > Sorry, you've lost me. If a call drops, it's up to the caller to re-establish
    > it, that's always been the convention with everyone I know for as long as I
    > can remember.
    >
    > If you call me, presumably you want to talk to me. If the call drops, you
    > will call me again if you want to carry on talking to me. Why should I call
    > you at my expense when it was you who initiated the conversation..?
    >
    > Ivor

    haha. I make/receive that many calls in a day, I often can't remember
    if I'm the caller or not! I never leave a customer to call me back,
    regardless.
    Jono, Feb 20, 2007
  17. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > haha. I make/receive that many calls in a day, I often
    > can't remember if I'm the caller or not! I never leave a
    > customer to call me back, regardless.

    Sorry and all that, but if you can't remember whether you made or answered
    a call, that's your own problem..! If I call someone and the call drops, I
    try again. If someone calls me and it drops, I expect them to try again.
    It has been convention for as long as I can remember.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 21, 2007
  18. Dave

    Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:12:55 -0000, "Ivor Jones"

    >It has been convention for as long as I can remember.

    It used to be convention for kids to get up and let the elderly have
    their seats on a bus but not anymore .
    Times change Ivor and it is time you changed your ideas
    about certain things also, no matter how much ranting and
    raving about spammers you do spammers will just carry on spamming
    just leave them to it .
    They are not doing you any harm are they ? .
    People spamming ( adds ) on TV annoy me a lot more than in this group
    or any other but I just have to put up with them or watch BBC .
    , Feb 21, 2007
  19. wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:12:55 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >
    >> It has been convention for as long as I can remember.

    > It used to be convention for kids to get up and let the elderly have
    > their seats on a bus but not anymore .

    They still do (well, it happenss here).

    If a call is cut short when you are speaking to a customer, it is only
    polite for you to call them back.
    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 21, 2007
  20. Dave

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:12:55 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >
    > > It has been convention for as long as I can remember.

    > It used to be convention for kids to get up and let the
    > elderly have their seats on a bus but not anymore .
    > Times change Ivor and it is time you changed your ideas
    > about certain things also, no matter how much ranting and
    > raving about spammers you do spammers will just carry on
    > spamming just leave them to it .

    Right, you're having a laugh, aren't you..?

    > They are not doing you any harm are they ? .

    Yes they are taking up my time and bandwidth, as are you. Go away or
    killfile me, please.

    > People spamming ( adds ) on TV annoy me a lot more than
    > in this group or any other but I just have to put up with
    > them or watch BBC .

    I don't, I record all programmes on ITV and fast forward through the ads.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 21, 2007