    "Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
    one-time setup fee.

    Christian

    Christian Barmala, May 9, 2005

  2. Christian Barmala

    Pepperoni Guest

    http://www.sipphone.com/

    Pepperoni, May 9, 2005

  3. Christian Barmala

    Ivor Jones Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > you can open an account and get a German dial in number at
    > http://www.sipgate.de/ for free. The dial out fees in this case aren't
    > too attractive, but you can upgrade to an account with monthly fee and
    > very attractive per minute rates.
    >
    > I'm looking for a similar provider in the US, but it seems that everyone
    > charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in number. Same is true for
    > "Skype-in". Does anyone know one w/o such a fee? I'm willing to pay a
    > one-time setup fee.
    >
    > Christian

    You can get a free US number from www.ipkall.com that can be routed to
    most SIP systems, I have one that routes to my UK Sipgate account
    (www.sipgate.co.uk)

    This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
    code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
    it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 9, 2005
  4. "Pepperoni" <> wrote:
    > "Christian Barmala" <> wrote:

    >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in
    >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?

    > http://www.sipphone.com/

    http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone numbers
    that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive calls
    from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"

    I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.

    Christian

    Christian Barmala, May 9, 2005
  5. Christian Barmala

    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote:
    > > "Christian Barmala" <> wrote:

    > >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial in
    > >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?

    > > http://www.sipphone.com/

    > http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone numbers
    > that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive calls
    > from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"
    >
    > I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.
    >
    > Christian

    Check out http://www.glophone.com/
    their premium plans give you a number reachable from PSTN. The number will
    be 4 digits longer than traditional, but quite functional. (if you use your
    PC for VOIP) I believe there is a setup fee, then your paid minutes are
    good for <I think> 2 years, and are refillable.

    If you use a hardware solution, we will need to keep looking.

    Pepperoni, May 9, 2005
  6. "Christian Barmala" <> wrote in message

    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote:
    > > "Christian Barmala" <> wrote:

    > >> it seems that everyone charges a monthly fee if they provide a dial

    in
    > >> number. Does anyone know one w/o such a fee?

    > > http://www.sipphone.com/

    > http://sipphone.com/virtual/ : "Virtual Numbers are US or UK phone

    numbers
    > that your friends and family can dial using any phone, i.e. Receive

    calls
    > from the PSTN world to your SIPphone. *As low as $5.88/ month.*"
    >
    > I was looking for a provider *without* a monthly fee.

    www.ipkall.com can forward PSTN calls to just any provider in the world
    (either free or not). But the number can be cancelled if it's not used for
    more than one month.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, May 10, 2005
  7. Christian Barmala

    wkearney99 Guest

    > This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
    > code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
    > it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

    What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at
    least some sort of fee.

    wkearney99, May 10, 2005
  8. Christian Barmala

    Pepperoni Guest

    "wkearney99" <> wrote in message

    > > This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
    > > code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
    > > it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

    > What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at
    > least some sort of fee.

    There are services available to access SIP numbers through PSTN.

    For example. Sipphone has an agreement with PointOne for this service:
    http://sipphone.com/access/
    "This is the latest list we've gotten our hands on of free PSTN to SIP
    access numbers. Dial the number, and listen to the prompt. Enter 1 for
    SIPphone. Next, when asked for your IM id, enter the SIPphone number you
    wish to call."

    Other numbers are available from Telesthetic

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, May 10, 2005
  9. Christian Barmala

    Ivor Jones Guest

    >> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers are area
    >> code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where you want it <g> but
    >> it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

    > What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without
    > at
    > least some sort of fee.

    No catch that I have yet found. Only drawback for some might be the area
    code 360 (Washington State) but if that doesn't bother you it works fine.
    They do reserve the right to withdraw the number if it isn't used in any
    30 day period but I've not had that happen yet.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 10, 2005
  10. Hi,

    "wkearney99" <> wrote:
    > Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't come without at least some sort of
    > fee.

    I knew someone would object this. That's why I mentioned the free personal
    dial-in number from sipgate.de in my initial posting.

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote:
    > There are services available to access SIP numbers through PSTN.

    Not exactly what I initially wanted, but a very interesting alternative.

    > For example.
    > http://sipphone.com/access/
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Telesthetic

    Does someone know other, international access numbers?

    Christian

    Christian Barmala, May 12, 2005
  11. >> This does need an existing SIP account though and the numbers
    >> are area code 360 (Washington State) which may not be where
    >> you want it <g> but it's free and it works, so is ok for me..!

    > What's the catch? Offering up incoming PSTN numbers can't
    > come without at least some sort of fee.

    It is entirely possible for some local telco (Local Exchange Company or
    LEC) to offer free incoming service, say, transferred to, say, a voice
    mail account or perhaps VOIP, doing so based on settlement rules if
    they can get enough incoming traffic to justify the cost of their
    Internet connectivity or (voice mail system operation) plus some
    profit.

    Realize that for every call that is terminated into a number, the LEC
    for that line is allowed to collect a fee from MCI/ATT/Sprint (the long
    distance carrier or Inter-exchange carrier or IXC) if it is a long
    distance call. If it is local and terminated from another LEC, the
    sending LEC pays a small fee to the receiving LEC which is charged
    against return calls from the receiving LEC, and at the end of the year
    at settlements time, the two carriers determine who had more outgoing
    calls and that carrier pays the other one.

    Actually, settlements are generally done on almost all interconnections
    between carriers and local telcos. Basically if you call out using
    MCI/ATT/Sprint or some other IXC, you are billed by them for your calls
    (or the local phone company pays the IXC at a discount then bills you).
    What really goes on is that your IXC and your LEC calculate the number
    of minutes of incoming calls from the IXC to the LEC's phone lines, add
    to that the number of minutes of outgoing phone calls from the LEC's
    phone lines, charge the incoming and terminating charge (let's say
    that's .002 or 2/10c per minute), then from that, subtract the price
    per minute the IXC is charging for calls placed onto its network (let's
    say that's .05 per minute.)

    If the total amount of incoming and terminating call charges exceeds
    the amount of charged minutes the IXC has received on its network, the
    IXC would pay the LEC the difference. If the total amount of incoming
    and terminating charges is less than the amount of charged minutes the
    IXC has received on its network, the LEC pays the IXC the difference.

    In some cases the LEC buys the IXC's recievables at a discount then
    bills the customer directly. In some cases the LEC will include the
    bill from the IXC as part of its bill, charge the IXC a fee for doing
    the billing for them, and then pay the IXC as the customer pays the
    LEC.

    Where the LEC is either charging the IXC for billing or the LEC is
    buying the IXC's receivables, settlements are being used. If the IXC
    is billing directly, then settlements would not be used.

    In any case, incoming calls to a carrier are worth something to that
    carrier, as a revenue source. What it basically comes down to is most
    LECs want more money for lines so they decide that getting only
    incoming termination charges is not enough.

    In some cases some IXCs would pay very large customers (universities
    with dormitories, for example) to be allowed to directly terminate
    into their facilities because they can pay less to terminate there than
    what they would pay to an LEC even after settlements.

    Settlements can be done as often as they choose, hourly, daily, weekly,
    monthly or once a year.

    Under the old Bell System, AT&T and its local operating companies did
    settlements once a year, because it was basically all paper numbers as
    AT&T essentially owned all of the local companies and thus any money
    changing hands was from one part of the company to the other.

    Paul Robinson, May 17, 2005