    ( I suppose that they don't hire the lines from a UK VoIP provider....
    how do they make this connection on Landline ??? )

    Thanks

    Steve James, Jun 23, 2009

  2. Steve James

    Guest

    Steve James schreef:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I wonder if someone can tell me, how VoIP providers can send your phone
    > call.
    >
    > ex: I am based in Germany and I want to make a phone call in the UK.
    > My German provider will send my call TO the UK.
    >
    > - How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
    > - Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??
    >
    > ( I suppose that they don't hire the lines from a UK VoIP provider....
    > how do they make this connection on Landline ??? )
    >
    > Thanks

    You don't need to worry about that, your voice will be made into data,
    voice codec, etc. it then travels around the internet in "packets"
    from server to server, that's also the weak part of voip, some packets
    get lost, because of bad addresses, (NAT) and you have only one way
    audio, you then have to forward port 5060 , so the addresses get guided,
    from your internal network IP to the external ones, because this is your
    protection, so other people can't get onto your internal network easily.

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , Jun 23, 2009

  3. Steve James

    Steve James Guest

    Le Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:14:22 +0200, TheFug a écrit :

    > Steve James schreef:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I wonder if someone can tell me, how VoIP providers can send your phone
    >> call.
    >>
    >> ex: I am based in Germany and I want to make a phone call in the UK. My
    >> German provider will send my call TO the UK.
    >>
    >> - How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ? - Do they hire
    >> some access ? If so... from who ??
    >>
    >> ( I suppose that they don't hire the lines from a UK VoIP provider....
    >> how do they make this connection on Landline ??? )
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > You don't need to worry about that, your voice will be made into data,
    > voice codec, etc. it then travels around the internet in "packets" from
    > server to server, that's also the weak part of voip, some packets get
    > lost, because of bad addresses, (NAT) and you have only one way audio,
    > you then have to forward port 5060 , so the addresses get guided, from
    > your internal network IP to the external ones, because this is your
    > protection, so other people can't get onto your internal network easily.

    Thanks for your answer...
    I know how this is working with the VoIP provider ( I mean my connection
    with the VoIP provider ). What I would like to understand is HOW does it
    work AFTER My phone call reached the VoIP provider....

    Steve James, Jun 23, 2009
  4. Steve James <> wrote:
    > - How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
    > - Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

    Someone like Magrathea will do VOIP-PSTN termination.

    The main point with VOIP is most of the long distance transit happens on the
    internet. On the traditional PSTN you have to pay per km the call travels,
    while on the internet the transmission is 'free'. So what usually happens
    is the call travels over the internet to somewhere near to the recipient,
    and then it is transferred over the PSTN for the minimal distance.

    Effectively all calls become local or national ones inside the destination
    country. So you can call the world for the price of a local call (in the
    destination country - these prices vary quite a bit from country to country).

    Since it's VOIP, it doesn't have to be local to the destination either. If
    it turns out to be cheaper to call UK mobiles from Nigeria than it is from
    the UK (such pricing anomalies happen regularly) then VOIP can send the call
    to Nigeria to enter the PSTN there.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jun 23, 2009
  5. Steve James

    Guest

    Theo Markettos schreef:
    > Steve James <> wrote:
    >> - How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
    >> - Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

    > Someone like Magrathea will do VOIP-PSTN termination.
    >
    > The main point with VOIP is most of the long distance transit happens on the
    > internet. On the traditional PSTN you have to pay per km the call travels,
    > while on the internet the transmission is 'free'. So what usually happens
    > is the call travels over the internet to somewhere near to the recipient,
    > and then it is transferred over the PSTN for the minimal distance.
    >
    > Effectively all calls become local or national ones inside the destination
    > country. So you can call the world for the price of a local call (in the
    > destination country - these prices vary quite a bit from country to country).
    >
    > Since it's VOIP, it doesn't have to be local to the destination either. If
    > it turns out to be cheaper to call UK mobiles from Nigeria than it is from
    > the UK (such pricing anomalies happen regularly) then VOIP can send the call
    > to Nigeria to enter the PSTN there.
    >
    > Theo

    I guess you can do the same even without having voip yourself,
    you can dial a`local gateway/access number, where you can choose a
    network code (peer code) and dial also the number of that user.
    www.sipbroker.com can help you with that.
    aka calling card ? (like Callcentric)

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    , Jun 24, 2009
  6. Steve James

    Steve James Guest

    Le Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:11:27 +0200, TheFug a écrit :

    > Theo Markettos schreef:
    >> Steve James <> wrote:
    >>> - How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ? - Do they
    >>> hire some access ? If so... from who ??

    >> Someone like Magrathea will do VOIP-PSTN termination.
    >>
    >> The main point with VOIP is most of the long distance transit happens
    >> on the internet. On the traditional PSTN you have to pay per km the
    >> call travels, while on the internet the transmission is 'free'. So
    >> what usually happens is the call travels over the internet to somewhere
    >> near to the recipient, and then it is transferred over the PSTN for the
    >> minimal distance.
    >>
    >> Effectively all calls become local or national ones inside the
    >> destination country. So you can call the world for the price of a
    >> local call (in the destination country - these prices vary quite a bit
    >> from country to country).
    >>
    >> Since it's VOIP, it doesn't have to be local to the destination either.
    >> If it turns out to be cheaper to call UK mobiles from Nigeria than it
    >> is from the UK (such pricing anomalies happen regularly) then VOIP can
    >> send the call to Nigeria to enter the PSTN there.
    >>
    >> Theo

    > I guess you can do the same even without having voip yourself, you can
    > dial a`local gateway/access number, where you can choose a network code
    > (peer code) and dial also the number of that user. www.sipbroker.com can
    > help you with that. aka calling card ? (like Callcentric)

    Does it mean that they VoIP provider have a local connection in each
    country ??????
    Or they probably hire this kind of equipment ??

    That's I would like to understand, how `physically` the phone call will
    arrive in a different country (On a landline for instance )

    Steve James, Jun 24, 2009
  7. Steve James

    Tim Guest

    Steve James wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I wonder if someone can tell me, how VoIP providers can send your phone
    > call.
    >
    > ex: I am based in Germany and I want to make a phone call in the UK.
    > My German provider will send my call TO the UK.
    >
    > - How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
    > - Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

    They will have 1 of 2 things.

    1) an agreement with a wholesale telecom provider in germany who is
    happy to take UK calls. Calls will go from VoIP land to telco land in
    germany.

    (this would almost be the same as if you picked up a landline in germany
    and called a UK number)

    2) an agreement with a wholesale telecom provider in the UK. Call will
    go from VoIP land to telco land in the UK.

    or both.

    The price difference between 1 and 2 from a wholesale perspective is
    likely to be very small. If the provider was doing just a few calls
    to the UK, they would probably do 1. If they were doing lots of calls
    to the UK, then they would probably do 2, but with 1 as a backup route.

    The way wholesale telecoms work is that you have several outbound routes
    for a number range. You try your first choice and see if the call is
    accepted. If that fails, you try your second choice.

    Tim

    Tim, Jun 25, 2009