VOIP provider for computer, mobile & ATA/SIP?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Allan, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    I’m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice calls. I’m
    currently using voipbuster who are fine and will do computer to computer
    and ATA/SIP to computer fine, all free. However, it seems their android
    client (MobileVOIP) requires credit.

    I’ve looked at Viber but not happy about the way they allegedly handle
    personal data, and might be getting blocked by some mobile telcos. I
    looked at Skype who seem to offer computer to computer and mobile, free,
    but if you want to use ATA/SIP phone, they seem to want you to use Skype
    Connect, which is paid for.

    I might be looking for the impossible, but if anyone can recommend a
    VOIP provider that will do calls computer-computer, mobile, and ATA/SIP
    phone, for free, that would be a really helpful.

    I suppose I could use different providers for different things, but it
    would be handy to use the same provider.

    The ATA is a Vigor Draytek 2830Vn.
    Allan, Jan 19, 2014

  2. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    Allan <> wrote:
    > I’m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice calls.

    I don't know of one that doesn't require some sort of payment to make
    calls that interconnect to the PSTN. I'm astounded that Sipgate still
    doesn't charge a rental for the provision of a phone number. I use
    Sipgate for my incoming and some of my outgoing, with the majority
    going via SMSListo (yet another Betamax/Finarea clone). Approximately
    £15 every three months gets me free calls to landlines (including many
    international); other calls are debited from the charge; after three
    months all calls become chargeable until another topup.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jan 19, 2014

  3. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:

    > I’m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice calls. I’m
    > currently using voipbuster who are fine and will do computer to computer
    > and ATA/SIP to computer fine, all free. However, it seems their android
    > client (MobileVOIP) requires credit.

    Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not looking (IMHO) to connect to
    the PSTN. All calls should be going as data (e.g. each end is running
    some sort of client that enables it to handle the VOIP connection).
    Allan, Jan 19, 2014
  4. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:
    > "Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:
    >>> I?m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice calls. I?m
    >>> currently using voipbuster who are fine and will do computer to computer
    >>> and ATA/SIP to computer fine, all free. However, it seems their android
    >>> client (MobileVOIP) requires credit.

    >> Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not looking (IMHO) to connect to the
    >> PSTN. All calls should be going as data (e.g. each end is running some
    >> sort of client that enables it to handle the VOIP connection).

    > Oh Voipfone will do then.

    As will Sipgate.

    A nice Android client is CSipSimple; lots of flexibility. But IIRC
    SipDroid was pretty good, too.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jan 19, 2014
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:

    > I’m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice calls. I’m
    > currently using voipbuster who are fine and will do computer to computer
    > and ATA/SIP to computer fine, all free. However, it seems their android
    > client (MobileVOIP) requires credit.

    [snip]

    Brilliant: sorted. Thanks for the info. Staying with voipbuster for the
    time being (might change later if needs be, and two good recommendations
    of voipfone and sipgate: I'm actually using sipgate to 'hold' an old
    landline number on a vacated/sold premises down south, and it's working
    v. well). The clinch was csipsimple, which got two votes on this thread,
    and hits the spot. Got it installed and working quickly and configured
    to voipbuster and it permits (data) calls from a mobile to another VOIP
    device for free. Excellent. It'll be very useful for travelling abroad:
    find someone's WiFi, hook up, and free calls to a VOIP device back in
    sunny Yorkshire.

    Thanks
    Allan
    Allan, Jan 21, 2014
  6. Allan

    Woody Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:
    >>
    >> I’m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice
    >> calls. I’m
    >> currently using voipbuster who are fine and will do
    >> computer to computer
    >> and ATA/SIP to computer fine, all free. However, it
    >> seems their android
    >> client (MobileVOIP) requires credit.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Brilliant: sorted. Thanks for the info. Staying with
    > voipbuster for the time being (might change later if needs
    > be, and two good recommendations of voipfone and sipgate:
    > I'm actually using sipgate to 'hold' an old landline
    > number on a vacated/sold premises down south, and it's
    > working v. well). The clinch was csipsimple, which got two
    > votes on this thread, and hits the spot. Got it installed
    > and working quickly and configured to voipbuster and it
    > permits (data) calls from a mobile to another VOIP device
    > for free. Excellent. It'll be very useful for travelling
    > abroad: find someone's WiFi, hook up, and free calls to a
    > VOIP device back in sunny Yorkshire.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Allan

    Sorry Allan, that ain't new. I've been doing it ever since
    I've had a smartphone.

    Only problem is that (in France particularly) free wi-fi is
    now often limited to web access - VoIP won't work as the
    ports are blocked. Applies especially where the SP is
    Orange - surprise surprise!

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Jan 21, 2014
  7. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    Allan <> wrote:
    > [...] free calls to a VOIP device back in sunny Yorkshire.

    Your Yorkshire is clearly a different part to mine! :)
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jan 21, 2014
  8. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    Woody <> wrote:
    > Only problem is that (in France particularly) free wi-fi is
    > now often limited to web access - VoIP won't work as the
    > ports are blocked. Applies especially where the SP is
    > Orange - surprise surprise!

    That's an interesting one to be aware of :-( Thank you.
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jan 21, 2014
  9. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 21/01/2014 06:44, Woody wrote:
    > "Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:

    [snip]

    > Sorry Allan, that ain't new. I've been doing it ever since
    > I've had a smartphone.

    Indeed, but it's the first time I've had the kit, the time, and the
    inclination/motivation to get round to putting it together!

    > Only problem is that (in France particularly) free wi-fi is
    > now often limited to web access - VoIP won't work as the
    > ports are blocked. Applies especially where the SP is
    > Orange - surprise surprise!

    Yes, I'm not surprised free Wi-Fi blocks VOIP ports (TANSTAFL?), but I
    was thinking of places like hotels, offices, and friends' homes where it
    should be more possible.
    Allan, Jan 21, 2014
  10. Allan

    ßodincus Guest

    Still, it depends from the provider... and from the owner of the WiFi.

    BTW, all Android devices with at least Jelly Bean have a native SIP
    client, you don't need third party apps.

    Settings > Call Settings > scroll to the bottom > Internet Call Settings.

    There.
    --
    ßodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ßodincus, Jan 21, 2014
  11. Allan

    Guest

    In message <>, Bob L
    <> writes
    >They probably block the SIP 5060/5061 ports - but with sipgate you can
    >use any ports you want, say above that standard value .
    >
    >Friend of mine who went to states found hotel blocked VOIP, but by
    >changing the Sip port to 25000 it worked fine - same thing using in
    >Malta.
    >
    >IF you change the RTP port, normally that is OK, then it HAS to be an
    >even number.
    >
    >So look at the settings if you are blocked, just change the SIP port
    >to something else , won't hurt to try.

    Perhaps I should know, but I don't!

    Where and how do you change the SIP port?
    , Jan 21, 2014
  12. Allan

    Woody Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On 21/01/2014 06:44, Woody wrote:
    >> "Allan" <> wrote in message
    >>> On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Sorry Allan, that ain't new. I've been doing it ever
    >> since
    >> I've had a smartphone.

    > Indeed, but it's the first time I've had the kit, the
    > time, and the inclination/motivation to get round to
    > putting it together!
    >
    >> Only problem is that (in France particularly) free wi-fi
    >> is
    >> now often limited to web access - VoIP won't work as the
    >> ports are blocked. Applies especially where the SP is
    >> Orange - surprise surprise!

    > Yes, I'm not surprised free Wi-Fi blocks VOIP ports
    > (TANSTAFL?), but I was thinking of places like hotels,
    > offices, and friends' homes where it should be more
    > possible.

    The problem you often run into in hotels in particular is
    that you have to log in through a web browser and then leave
    it open - which is not always easy on a smartphone - else
    the connection is terminated. Perhaps those providing the
    service knew that people might want to use wi-fi for VoIP
    (most likely Skype) so covered their tails?

    Woody, Jan 21, 2014
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 21/01/2014 09:52, ßodincus wrote:

    [snip]

    > BTW, all Android devices with at least Jelly Bean have a native SIP
    > client, you don't need third party apps.
    >
    > Settings > Call Settings > scroll to the bottom > Internet Call Settings.

    OMG, to put it bluntly. A hugely useful tip! Thank you!

    The native SIP client quite simple, but it does what it says on the tin.
    It's not as fully featured but it's enabled me to isolate an issue
    with csipsimple (which I'm going to post as a separate thread here in
    case anyone has any ideas) and has been a huge help. Thank you!
    Allan, Jan 22, 2014
  14. Allan

    ßodincus Guest

    You are welcome.

    Don't use this and other SIP client apps at the same time on the same
    device / through the same router / with the same public IP to register
    on the same SIP account or you'll get into trouble.

    It can be done, but it's a PITA.
    And some VoIP providers don't like it.
    --
    ßodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ßodincus, Jan 22, 2014
  15. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 19/01/2014 00:16, Allan wrote:

    > I’m looking for a VOIP provider that will do free voice calls. I’m
    > currently using voipbuster who are fine and will do computer to computer
    > and ATA/SIP to computer fine, all free. However, it seems their android
    > client (MobileVOIP) requires credit.

    [snip]

    Thanks for all the help & advice & pointers. I'm up and running, and
    enjoying exploring the benefits of VOIP.
    Allan, Jan 27, 2014