Voip provider advice please ? Who is the best service provider ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by www.crystal-power.co.uk, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. We are toying with the idea of a simple yet effective and efficinet
    voip service at our house,we have 6 bedrooms and would like a phone in
    each, currently we use BT with 12 extensions in the house but want to
    dump them becuase they are just ripping us off bigtime,having looked
    around i think we would need the ability to have a local 01 type number
    to ring in our house and a number in Atlanta ,Georgia USA so our many
    friends can call us cheaply.

    I have heard about vonage,mainly bad points but a few good ones but
    Sipgate seems to fit the bill, how much do they cost for example?,
    would it work out cheaper with them or some other voip provider and are
    they easy to set up or not ?

    I want a simple set up with the minimum of fuss and downtime if
    possible,not bothered about price just a solid and reliable serice than
    i can divert incoming calls to various mobiles when our family are out.

    Could any of you knowledgable folk give me some pointers?

    In the running so far are Sipgate and possibly vonage but any opinions
    welcome to help me and my wife choose.

    Regards

    Crystal

    www.crystal-power.co.uk, Sep 26, 2005

  2. www.crystal-power.co.uk

    Sean Guest

    Re: Voip provider advice please ? Who is the best service provider?

    Have a look at websites www.voipfone.co.uk , www.vonage.co.uk ,
    www.sipgate.co.uk to check prices.

    I use linksys hardware from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk .........

    Sean, Sep 26, 2005

  3. www.crystal-power.co.uk wrote:
    > We are toying with the idea of a simple yet effective and efficinet
    > voip service at our house,we have 6 bedrooms and would like a phone in
    > each, currently we use BT with 12 extensions in the house but want to
    > dump them becuase they are just ripping us off bigtime,having looked
    > around i think we would need the ability to have a local 01 type number
    > to ring in our house and a number in Atlanta ,Georgia USA so our many
    > friends can call us cheaply.
    >
    > I have heard about vonage,mainly bad points but a few good ones but
    > Sipgate seems to fit the bill, how much do they cost for example?,
    > would it work out cheaper with them or some other voip provider and are
    > they easy to set up or not ?
    >
    > I want a simple set up with the minimum of fuss and downtime if
    > possible,not bothered about price just a solid and reliable serice than
    > i can divert incoming calls to various mobiles when our family are out.
    >
    > Could any of you knowledgable folk give me some pointers?
    >
    > In the running so far are Sipgate and possibly vonage but any opinions
    > welcome to help me and my wife choose.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Crystal

    If you need extensions i would take a look at this i use it my self and
    it works great http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Virtual_PBX.php

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, Sep 27, 2005
  4. www.crystal-power.co.uk

    Guest

    www.crystal-power.co.uk wrote:
    > We are toying with the idea of a simple yet effective and efficinet
    > voip service at our house,we have 6 bedrooms and would like a phone in
    > each, currently we use BT with 12 extensions in the house but want to
    > dump them becuase they are just ripping us off bigtime,having looked
    > around i think we would need the ability to have a local 01 type number
    > to ring in our house and a number in Atlanta ,Georgia USA so our many
    > friends can call us cheaply.
    >
    > I have heard about vonage,mainly bad points but a few good ones but
    > Sipgate seems to fit the bill, how much do they cost for example?,
    > would it work out cheaper with them or some other voip provider and are
    > they easy to set up or not ?

    What have you heard about Vonage? I started using it a week ago so
    don't have much authority in the subject, but so far so good.

    , Sep 27, 2005
  5. www.crystal-power.co.uk

    alexd Guest

    Mathew Curtis wrote:

    > If you need extensions i would take a look at this i use it my self and
    > it works great http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Virtual_PBX.php

    If you've got a spare PC hanging around, you'd be better off using
    asterisk@home http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ as it doesn't cost
    anything.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:55:31 up 2 days, 7:19, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.21

    alexd, Sep 28, 2005