    Is it possible to have an E1 connection with 30 signalling line and only 3
    real telephone subscriber? was thinking to reduce the subscription cost.

    Thanks allot Sam

    Sam, May 16, 2004

  2. Sam

    shope Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    news:40a77b01$0$212$...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have some practical questions regarding VOIP, hope you could answer.
    >
    > Does 30 simultaneous voice channel ( VOIP ) in a Cisco voice gateway means

    > must have 30 telephones line from a Telecom Company?

    you need something to carry 30 logical "lines" - normal way would be an ISDN
    PRI link (in europe this is an 2.048 Mbps E1 line, carrying up to 30 voice
    channels - US equiv has fewer voice connections and uses T1).
    All the signalling for the 30 lines uses a single separate channel.

    > Does a 30 signalling line equal to 30-telephone subscription?

    Sort of - it depends what you mean by this and what the Telco you connect to
    provides.

    there are lots of numbering options - all the channels can be 1 number, or
    any call to a block of numbers may go over this link - think about what is
    useful for a building with a bunch of people, switchboard and direct
    dialling to a desk.

    most telco will supply a PRI with fewer channels enabled - in the UK the
    minimum is usually 8.

    You still have to rent the E1 line, PRI service, and pay call costs.......

    E1 often gets delivered over fibre optic cable. if the telco doesnt have
    fibre into your building you may need to pay higher install costs to cover
    that.

    > Is it possible to have an E1 connection with 30 signalling line and only 3
    > real telephone subscriber? was thinking to reduce the subscription cost.

    the fewer the channels, the higher the cost per channel. If all you want is
    3 voice lines, you may find it cheaper to use analog or a couple of 2
    channel BRI ISDN lines.

    it is going to depend on what the telco wants to charge you for their
    different types of service.

    --
    Regards

    shope, May 16, 2004