    Anyone know of VOIP phones that have fiber connections? Our
    organization has fiber to each desktop. Ethernet (and PoE for that
    matter) aren't an option. Thanks for any help.

    Joe Beineke, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Joe Beineke

    Dmitri Guest

    Joe Beineke wrote:

    > Anyone know of VOIP phones that have fiber connections? Our
    > organization has fiber to each desktop. Ethernet (and PoE for that
    > matter) aren't an option. Thanks for any help.

    It should still be Ehternet over that fiber (100BASE-F for example). In
    this case you should be able to use a fiber to copper converter with
    copper 100BASE-TX output, and then plug that into the phone. There may be
    phones out there with fiber, but it would be a specialty part, and you'll
    end up paying for it pretty much the same as for a regular phone plus a
    converter. besides, you'll be limited in your choice of phones (even if
    they are available)

    -------------------------------------
    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
    no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -

    Dmitri, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Joe Beineke

    Joe Beineke Guest

    Thanks. We've considered the converter option, and have decided to
    avoid it, if at all possible. I appreciate the input.

    Joe Beineke, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Joe Beineke

    wkearney99 Guest

    "Joe Beineke" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. We've considered the converter option, and have decided to
    > avoid it, if at all possible. I appreciate the input.

    Fiber connectors are considerable more fragile than the RJ45 connectors used
    for wired ethernet. Or USB connectors, for that matter. That and there
    aren't many places that have put fiber to the desktop. The combination of
    these factors makes it unlikely you'll ever find a solution for it. It's
    just too expensive to bother making devices that will have a limited market.
    And that when installed will probably break the connectors. Breaking those
    connectors is a VERY expensive proposition. Wired ethernet can just be
    trimmed a bit (assuming there's at least /some/ slack) and re-attached to
    the connectors. Fiber requires a rather expensive special optical alignment
    tool (or glue if you're half-assing it) to reattach something to the fiber.

    So your only *effective* solutions are to use converters, use wireless, run
    a few extra CAT5 cables or use USB phones connected to nearby desktop
    computers (or heck, softphones for that matter).

    -Bill Kearney

    wkearney99, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Joe Beineke

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Joe Beineke <> wrote:
    > Anyone know of VOIP phones that have fiber connections? Our
    > organization has fiber to each desktop. Ethernet (and PoE for that
    > matter) aren't an option. Thanks for any help.

    How are the phones currently connected? Pull some ethernet through there.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 38 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Burma; Hong Kong; Macau; Amsterdam; Grand Canyon; Amman

    Miguel Cruz, Oct 23, 2005