    Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
    go through their automated ID service.

    , Sep 12, 2006

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
    > you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
    > phone keys.
    >
    > I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
    > companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
    > Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
    > go through their automated ID service.

    If I'm reading that right all you are asking for is DTMF tones that
    work. Most VoIP phones and VoIP service providers allow you to pass
    DTMF. I know it certainly works with Snom and Linksys phones. You'd
    need to make sure the service provider you chose allows it and most do.
    Although I've seen a fair few people on here complaining about getting
    DTMF to work with Sipgate - may just be a configuration issue though.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh Paul:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
    >> you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing
    >> the phone keys.
    >>
    >> I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
    >> companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
    >> Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got
    >> to go through their automated ID service.
    >>

    > If I'm reading that right all you are asking for is DTMF tones that
    > work. Most VoIP phones and VoIP service providers allow you to pass
    > DTMF. I know it certainly works with Snom and Linksys phones. You'd
    > need to make sure the service provider you chose allows it and most
    > do. Although I've seen a fair few people on here complaining about
    > getting DTMF to work with Sipgate - may just be a configuration issue
    > though.
    > cheers,
    > Paul.

    I use Sipgate and it works fine for this.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 12, 2006
  4. Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Paul:
    > > wrote:

    [snip]

    > > If I'm reading that right all you are asking for is
    > > DTMF tones that work. Most VoIP phones and VoIP
    > > service providers allow you to pass DTMF. I know it
    > > certainly works with Snom and Linksys phones. You'd
    > > need to make sure the service provider you chose
    > > allows it and most do. Although I've seen a fair few
    > > people on here complaining about getting DTMF to work
    > > with Sipgate - may just be a configuration issue
    > > though. cheers,
    > > Paul.

    > I use Sipgate and it works fine for this.

    For Sipgate, set the DTMF TX mode to INFO if the configuration of your
    device allows this. For Gradwell, AUTO seems to work ok. Not used any
    others so can't comment.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 12, 2006
  5. Rob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
    > you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
    > phone keys.
    >
    > I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
    > companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
    > Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
    > go through their automated ID service.

    I find VoipStunt works fine with navigating through the menus etc. using
    DTMF tones, but using PlusTalk (PlusNets VoIP service) is a bit hit and
    miss, sometimes working, sometimes not.

    Rob

    Rob, Sep 12, 2006
  6. Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:22:41 +0100, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
    >> you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
    >> phone keys.
    >>
    >> I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
    >> companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
    >> Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
    >> go through their automated ID service.

    >I find VoipStunt works fine with navigating through the menus etc. using
    >DTMF tones, but using PlusTalk (PlusNets VoIP service) is a bit hit and
    >miss, sometimes working, sometimes not.
    >
    >Rob

    If you use Skype these other services, mentioned in the replies to
    your post, MIGHT be new to you. Lest that may be true here is a brief
    explanation.
    These services are all SIP VoIP - a totally different protocol to
    Skype.
    Many SIP VoIP services offer cheaper calls and much more flexibilty
    than Skype. In MOST cases it is possible to call other SIP VoIP users,
    worldwide, for free, no matter what VoIP Service Provider (VSP) they
    use. (see the very long list on www.sipbroker.com )
    You can download software to run on your computer such as X-Lite or,
    much better, purchase an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA), or SIP
    phone, to connect to your router, and not need to have your computer
    switched on. It is well worth doing this.
    You do NOT have to have the same outgoing provider as you use for
    incoming (providing your ATA is flexible enough to facilitate this).

    VSPs, to name but a few.
    www.sipgate.co.uk
    www.voip.co.uk
    www.voipfone.co.uk
    www.voiptalk.org

    I do know that Sipgate, voipfone & voip.co.uk work on DTMF.
    I have just tested them out on a BT services number.
    voiptalk I am doubtful about.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Brian A wrote:
    > I do know that Sipgate, voipfone & voip.co.uk work on DTMF.
    > I have just tested them out on a BT services number.
    > voiptalk I am doubtful about.

    Works fine for me... I'm using their siptalk service with Asterisk
    (dtmfmode=rfc2833), although I have had it working with their iax
    service in the past.

    Stephen

    Stephen Lewis, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Ivor Jones wrote:

    > For Sipgate, set the DTMF TX mode to INFO if the configuration of your
    > device allows this.

    Also called RFC2976 in some devices, if you are using G.729 as your
    codec, you should try using Out-Of-Band first (sometimes called RFC 2833).

    Thomas Kenyon, Sep 13, 2006
  9. Rob Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:22:41 +0100, "Rob" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Do any VoIP systems work with those automated phone systems yet where
    > >> you've got to put in details like account numbers etc. by pressing the
    > >> phone keys.
    > >>
    > >> I'm a student and use Skype, but I can't use that when I need to call
    > >> companies like the electricity, gas or water companies or even the
    > >> Student Loans lot because before you can talk to anyone, you've got to
    > >> go through their automated ID service.

    > >I find VoipStunt works fine with navigating through the menus etc. using
    > >DTMF tones, but using PlusTalk (PlusNets VoIP service) is a bit hit and
    > >miss, sometimes working, sometimes not.
    > >
    > >Rob

    > If you use Skype these other services, mentioned in the replies to
    > your post, MIGHT be new to you. Lest that may be true here is a brief
    > explanation.
    > These services are all SIP VoIP - a totally different protocol to
    > Skype.
    > Many SIP VoIP services offer cheaper calls and much more flexibilty
    > than Skype. In MOST cases it is possible to call other SIP VoIP users,
    > worldwide, for free, no matter what VoIP Service Provider (VSP) they
    > use. (see the very long list on www.sipbroker.com )
    > You can download software to run on your computer such as X-Lite or,
    > much better, purchase an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA), or SIP
    > phone, to connect to your router, and not need to have your computer
    > switched on. It is well worth doing this.

    > You do NOT have to have the same outgoing provider as you use for
    > incoming (providing your ATA is flexible enough to facilitate this).

    > VSPs, to name but a few.
    > www.sipgate.co.uk
    > www.voip.co.uk
    > www.voipfone.co.uk
    > www.voiptalk.org
    >
    > I do know that Sipgate, voipfone & voip.co.uk work on DTMF.
    > I have just tested them out on a BT services number.
    > voiptalk I am doubtful about.
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Did you mean to reply to me or the OP?

    Rob