VOIP phone system for 3 international offices required

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Bobsa, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Bobsa

    Bobsa Guest

    Hi,

    I am in the process of setting up three new offices located in Geneva,
    Athens and Dubai. The Geneva office will be the primary location. In
    addition we will have appromimately 4 home locations served by
    broadband lines probably ADSL.

    In order to provide inter office voice communications I wish to
    install VOIP telephones and connections but they should also support
    PSTN lines alterntive routing for local country calls.

    There will intitially be 5 to 6 people in geneva and 2-3 in each other
    office as it comes online. Future growth would probably not exceed 15
    - 20 people total across all locations.

    Ideally we'll utilise broadband ADSL in each location although a
    leased line my be available for internet connection in Geneva. Are
    fixed Ip addresses a mandatory requirement for the offices AND the
    home users?

    As this is a new company we have no legacy systems and are open to
    make the maximum use of our technology investment.

    I am very familiar with existing PABX technology but am new to the
    VOIP concept. My back ground is networking \ computing in the
    financial markets.

    Quick overview of whats out there seems to point to Avaya IP office
    but I've also come across some bad reports, can anyone recommend a
    solution they are actually using and are very happy with. Support and
    maintenance in all locations is obviously a key issue.

    cheers

    rob
    Bobsa, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Bobsa

    Ankur Shah Guest

    Bobsa wrote:
    > I am in the process of setting up three new offices located in Geneva,
    > Athens and Dubai. The Geneva office will be the primary location. In
    > addition we will have appromimately 4 home locations served by
    > broadband lines probably ADSL.

    The last I heard, Internet was regulated in UAE/Dubai and the government
    was blocking all VoIP (RTP/SDP) ports coming from the outside. Has that
    changed recently?

    > Quick overview of whats out there seems to point to Avaya IP office
    > but I've also come across some bad reports, can anyone recommend a
    > solution they are actually using and are very happy with. Support and
    > maintenance in all locations is obviously a key issue.

    Check out the open source (GPL'ed) Asterisk PBX at
    http://www.asterisk.org It'll give you what you're asking for, and much
    much more!

    -- Ankur
    Ankur Shah, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Bobsa

    Adie Guest

    Ankur Shah wrote:
    > Bobsa wrote:
    >> I am in the process of setting up three new offices located in Geneva,
    >> Athens and Dubai. The Geneva office will be the primary location. In
    >> addition we will have appromimately 4 home locations served by
    >> broadband lines probably ADSL.

    > The last I heard, Internet was regulated in UAE/Dubai and the government
    > was blocking all VoIP (RTP/SDP) ports coming from the outside. Has that
    > changed recently?

    [HINT]
    I guess they wouldn't know what kind of traffic you had if you shoved it
    through a VPN.

    >> Quick overview of whats out there seems to point to Avaya IP office
    >> but I've also come across some bad reports, can anyone recommend a
    >> solution they are actually using and are very happy with. Support and
    >> maintenance in all locations is obviously a key issue.

    I'm using it (Avaya IPO) for exactly what you suggest (see locations
    below), and it works *very* well. They also have a range of smaller IPO's
    than can be used at the branch offices - use an IPO403 at the base and the
    401 or small office edition at your smaller branches. Join them all up with
    a VPN network - take a look at the Draytek Vigor 2600 routers for this -
    and you have a very cheap and extremely reliable solution.

    http://www.draytek.co.uk/

    I'm using them in the USA, UK, Hungary and UAE (India next) - they're very
    flexible.

    Email me if you want more detailed info.
    Adie, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Bobsa

    Adie Guest

    Adie wrote:
    > Ankur Shah wrote:
    >> Bobsa wrote:
    >>> I am in the process of setting up three new offices located in Geneva,
    >>> Athens and Dubai. The Geneva office will be the primary location. In
    >>> addition we will have appromimately 4 home locations served by
    >>> broadband lines probably ADSL.

    >> The last I heard, Internet was regulated in UAE/Dubai and the government
    >> was blocking all VoIP (RTP/SDP) ports coming from the outside. Has that
    >> changed recently?

    > [HINT]
    > I guess they wouldn't know what kind of traffic you had if you shoved it
    > through a VPN.

    Oh hell, youre right it is *illegal*. Ive just shut down the operation
    after readng this -

    http://www.internetcitylaw.com/telecom.htm

    Not worth the risk. Thought we were just breaking a TOS not a federal law.
    Adie, Aug 11, 2004
  5. Bobsa

    Lee Sunam Guest

    Hi, There
    You can try to NICSTEL 1018G/1018 IP phone( it's IP+ PSTN phone and
    has PSTN routing ability for remote users) or 7022 ATA( it has 1
    FXS+1FXO port).
    Please check followings link:
    http://www.nicstel.net/eng/03/1018.php
    http://www.nicstel.net/eng/03/7022.php