VOIP Phone - SOYO G668

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Salvador Valencia, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. I just ordered a pair of SOYO G668 phones (http://phone.soyo.com) on
    Tigerdirect.ca

    I was looking for a phone (not software but a physical phone) to
    connect to the internet and offer a direct call to a similar phone
    (same model) overseas. I live in Canada and my family is in Mexico and
    these will be sitting beside the 'regular' phones but will only be
    used as a hotline between both countries.

    Has anybody tried them and comment on them? I will be getting mine
    next week and some of the major things that I read are:

    - Free calls between phones (either between two G668 or a G668 and a
    AVRO 3001 router.
    - The phone configures itself to the network with DHCP.
    - Each phone is assigned a unique 7 digit number to be used within the
    Z-Connect 'network'.
    - The phone does not need to connect to a computer, so it is great
    for all the technophobic members of my family (Just pick it up and
    dial)

    But, on reading on the online manual there are a couple of ports that
    have to remain open. The phone can be configured through a web page on
    the LAN so you can assign a constant port number so it doesn't open it
    randomly.

    You can still make outgoing calls to regular phone numbers but that is
    charged through a pre-paid card, fees seem to be fair but I don't know
    if I will be interested.

    Salvador Valencia, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Salvador Valencia

    Guest

    All right, step two: I got the phones and installed them.

    So far I configured their DNS ip and managed to make an international
    call and talked to mom. She reported the sound as being very good but I
    could hear distortion like from a cell phone loosing its signal. I was
    expecting the sound not be as perfect as a land line.

    I also noticed that I had some other programs having access to the
    internet, so I stopped all browsers, itunes, messengers, etc. And
    placed a second call, this time the sound was better on my end and
    almost no delay in our conversation.

    Apparently both phones can't work on the same LAN behind a Linksys
    Router. I suppose they both want to get a hold of the unique IP and one
    will be in stand by while the other one will be waiting for something
    from their main server. But late at night I discovered that they need a
    couple of ports open and I forgot to configure that on the the router.
    The manual even has a special section for Forwarding Ports so the
    phones can receive calls.

    The next thing I did was to open each phone's account at phone.soyo.com
    and see their call history. You have to type the IP number AND PIN
    number into the page fields, both are located on the bottom of the
    phone. I thought the phone PIN was the phone's password that you can
    (and should) change from either the phone's keypad or from a browser in
    a computer connected on the same LAN. Once I typed both (long) numbers
    I managed to see their call history and available credit.

    Each phone comes with a $5 credit for free. I talked to Mexico City for
    6 minutes and it only cost me $0.44 in total!! Pretty sweet considering
    that I could be billed $0.60 a minute or more on regular long distance
    providers.

    So far so good. I'm hoping sound quality will improve once I manage to
    make both phones talk on the LAN.

    SV.

    , Dec 7, 2004

  4. Salvador Valencia

    Guest

    Well, some sour grapes.

    I manage to disconfigure the phone and now is not booting!! I tried to
    connect the phone directly to the cable modem and was trying some
    combinations so the phone could get its unique IP address.

    I changed the connection type from 'DHCP' to 'MODEM' (without values
    for id and password - empty) and disabled NAT traversal. After saving
    the modem would start booting and it will stop. It will show the
    "Booting" message and with the progress bar complete, but it will just
    hang.

    So AVOID the previous combination of settings.

    I called SOYO and after a little back a forth (1 call, 2 emails) they
    gave me a reference number so I could exchange it under warranty.

    The whole idea was to allow the phone to receive calls but I was told
    that the phone will only receive public calls within the US but it
    could still receive calls from another Soyo phone. So, just don't touch
    Nat Traversal and make sure you leave open (forwarding) the required
    port numbers, you should at least receive calls within the Z-Connect
    network.

    The connection layout should be kept as:
    [cable modem] --> [linksys router] --> [phone]

    In the next few days I will send the package phone back and await for a
    replacement.

    Be aware that the configuration web page and the options on the phone
    display DO NOT validate your input. It will take whatever value you
    save into it and you might end up like me.

    Just focus on the typical settings that you would use on a computer's
    network card: DHCP/Unique IP, Mask, DNS, etc.

    I will post my progess.

    , Dec 10, 2004
  5. Salvador Valencia

    Guest

    Well, I got the factory restored phone back in time for my trip (good
    service). Now my parents have one installed. The thing is that I
    couldn't make direct calls between soyo phones (I suppose is not
    profitable for soyo) and ended up paying a $20 calling card for each
    phone.

    This actually isn't so bad since calls between Canada-Mexico are 4 to 8
    CENTS a minute (US Dollars). So a calling card should last at least a
    full month.

    So the way these phones are working is that we call each other to our
    regular land lines from the soyo phones. But no matter in what country
    you are the international access codes (011) are the same, like if you
    were residing in North America. And to avoid giving instructions to my
    parents, I can actually renew the calling cards for both phones on the
    internet with my credit card.

    Again the sound constantly has static, like if listening to a Walkie
    Talkie. But the receiving party listens with respectable quality, no
    static at all. It all is justified since I'm saving at least 60% on my
    long distance calls. I estimate I would pay off both phones in 2 to 3
    months, given the regular long distance rates .
    Oh well, is not perfect but it works.

    Cheers.

    , Jan 15, 2005
  6. Salvador Valencia

    Elmail Guest

    Hi !

    I have a IP-Phone-GW-G668A-soyo.h323 v1.42.028.

    Then i need upgrade to [g668_sip_us_149002.bin] for use SIP in my loca
    network.

    The phone crashes with "Booting.."

    I already used the information of articles soyo support [S1393] an th
    [S1395], but does not function.

    The phone "say" updating 20%,40% and the crashes with "Booting.."

    They can help me?

    Thanks

    Elmai

    --