    ok when the phone is in use.
    Anyone have any experience with VOIP phone service on cable service?

    Joe

    Joe, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Joe

    JD Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Anyone have any input on Voice over IP phone service? The price for this
    > service seems great but I just really question how well it works. I am
    > starting to think it might be ok though as AT&T is now offering it. The
    > prices I have found Start at $19.95 a month for unlimited calling within the
    > US. These folks http://www.packet8.net/ offer that.
    > I have great cable service it is rated at 256 out and 3000 in. From a
    > good site I can get 300-350k per sec downloads.
    > What I would like to know is what impact net usage would have on the
    > phone and vice versa. I can live with Net service being slowed to half or
    > even 1/4 speed when my wife is on the phone. For The saving I would get 64
    > out and 750 in would be an adaptable net speed. What I would not be able to
    > live with is my wife getting choppy, garbled up or low volume phone service.
    > Basically what I am saying is that the phone service has to work as well
    > as it does with standard phone service and moderately impaired internet is
    > ok when the phone is in use.
    > Anyone have any experience with VOIP phone service on cable service?
    >
    > Joe

    Before you buy your VoIP service you should consider skype
    (www.skype.com) it makes VoIP obsolete ! it uses P2P (peer to peer)
    technology distributing the load. not only do you get brilliant sound
    qaulity (Better than VoIP) it also wont eat up all your bandwidth. its
    free to call other PC's and the rates for local/internatonal landline
    calls are minimal.

    Just a suggestion check it out and compare it with the VoIP anyway !
    (wont hurt after all)

    JD, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Joe

    Pepperoni Guest

    Check out the free "Blue" Glophone. They give 30 minutes "anyphone"
    (landline) calling to new users. You can test the concept.
    http://www.glophone.com/plans
    I don't experience any disturbance while surfing and using the phone. We
    even use it to chat while game playing.

    I also use Vonage (both modem and softphone) Excellent results there, too.

    Check the group:
    comp.dcom.voice-over-ip
    Many discussions of services and quality.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks for the input I am now reading in the news group you recommended. I
    checked out the Glophone but that allows phone threw the computer and that
    is not what I want is a replacement for home phone service and
    http://www.packet8.net/ is looking pretty good.

    Joe

    Joe, Dec 31, 2004