VOIP Phone on Cisco 831

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Fred Atkinson, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Vonage downloaded a firmware update to my VOIP phone. I have
    that phone connected to one of the Ethernet ports on my Cisco router.

    Shortly after they downloaded my unit (without notifying me, I
    might add), my phone stopped working. We connected it directly to the
    cablemodem and they redownloaded it. It came up and ran. I moved it
    back to a port on my 831 router. The phone still doesn't work on the
    router.

    Vonage told me to go to Staple's and get a different unit.
    They tried to activate it, but it yielded the same results: It ran on
    the cablemodem when directly connected to it. But it doesn't run when
    I connect it to the router.

    I noticed that the the phone was having trouble getting a
    dynamic IP address from the router. So, I did a 'debug dhcp'. The
    following is what I saw:

    01:46:10: DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid: 0x5197F09
    01:46:10: DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid: 0x5197F09
    01:46:30: DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid: 0x3880BE41
    01:46:30: DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid: 0x3880BE41
    01:46:38: DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid: 0x7B7AA96
    01:46:38: DHCP: Received a BOOTREP pkt Not for us..: xid: 0x7B7AA96

    If I am reading this right, I would think that the phone is
    not getting a DHCP address from my router when it requests it.

    Any suggestions?

    Fred
    Fred Atkinson, Oct 24, 2004