    Has anyone else had experiences like this?

    -- Rick

    (ATT CallVantage in Massachusetts)

    Rick Merrill, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote:
    > I dial someone and get their answering machine; not wanting to leave a
    > message (e.g. it's the wrong number!) I hang up.
    >
    > My phone rings: I pick it up, a woman's voice says, "I'm sorry, but I
    > didn't hear anything."
    >
    > The answering machine has called me back! Actually, I think it is the VoIP
    > connection that is trying to re-connect me to what it thinks is a dropped
    > call.
    >
    > Has anyone else had experiences like this?

    I've had this happen with good old fashioned telephones. I believe it was
    because I didn't cleanly hang the phone up, so the switch received what it
    thought was a hook flash followed by a hangup. Because of some combination
    of feature implementation (3-way calling and/or other features), it thought
    I had started to make a second call and then abandoned that and wanted my
    original call back.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine

    Miguel Cruz, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill

    dg Guest

    I agree, I have always had this happen with old school telephones. Even at
    work when I am listening to my voicemail, if I hang up the phone sometimes
    it rings again and when I pick it up the voicemail routine is still going.

    --Dan

    dg, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Rick Merrill

    wkearney99 Guest

    > I dial someone and get their answering machine;
    > not wanting to leave a message (e.g. it's the wrong
    > number!) I hang up.
    >
    > My phone rings: I pick it up, a woman's voice says,
    > "I'm sorry, but I didn't hear anything."

    Apparently you didn't say the magic word...

    "anything"

    Ok, bad pun aside, where's the VoIP? On your end or the receiver? If it's
    on your end then how are you making the connection? From an old-school
    telephone via an ATA or a soft phone on your PC?

    I've had it happen plenty of times with POTS handsets. Dunno if there's a
    cure other than "hanging up the right way". No idea how to do THAT
    consistently though.

    wkearney99, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    dg wrote:
    > I agree, I have always had this happen with old school telephones. Even at
    > work when I am listening to my voicemail, if I hang up the phone sometimes
    > it rings again and when I pick it up the voicemail routine is still going.
    >
    > --Dan
    >
    > "Miguel Cruz" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've had this happen with good old fashioned telephones. I believe it was
    >>because I didn't cleanly hang the phone up, so the switch received what it
    >>thought was a hook flash followed by a hangup. Because of some combination
    >>of feature implementation (3-way calling and/or other features), it
    >>thought
    >>I had started to make a second call and then abandoned that and wanted my
    >>original call back.

    I think you're absolutely right! It has happened to me a couple of
    times, but I think I did inadvertently 'flash' the switch hook!

    Rick Merrill, Apr 5, 2005
  6. Rick Merrill

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "wkearney99" <> writes:

    I've had it happen plenty of times with POTS handsets. Dunno if there's a
    >cure other than "hanging up the right way". No idea how to do THAT
    >consistently though.

    Don't "flash" ("place on hold") before hanging up.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Apr 6, 2005