VOIP PBX integrated into Microsoft ethernet wired network

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by marksimms, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Just wanted to gather some suggestions for "gotchas" that I may
    encounter in installing and configuring the following integrated
    network for a 5 person small office:
    Single broadband gateway; 1500 kbps DSL
    CAT-5 wiring - Fast ethernet; 2 outlets for each desk
    DLink DVG-1402S VOIP router http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=359
    Dlink DES-3226L Managed Switch
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=298
    DLink DVX-1000 PBX-in-a-box, 5 user license
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=450
    (4) DLink DPH-140S VOIP Phones
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=407
    (2) MS Win/XP Workstations, (2) network-enabled printers - peer-to-peer
    configuration
    PPPoE connection initially (later, static IP address)
    NAT support for workstations
    DHCP for address management
    Lingo VOIP service provider; no PSTN lines except for faxing

    I know that DLink has been panned on this forum, but I'd like feedback
    on my configuration rather than the individual components selected so
    far.
    Thanks for any and all suggestions !
    marksimms, Nov 2, 2006

  2. "marksimms" <> wrote in message
    > Just wanted to gather some suggestions for "gotchas" that I may
    > encounter in installing and configuring the following integrated
    > network for a 5 person small office:
    > Single broadband gateway; 1500 kbps DSL

    What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 3, 2006

  3. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Jonathan Roberts wrote:

    > What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).
    >
    > Jonathan

    ADSL - 1500 down, 128 up (I know, I know....this could be a problem).
    marksimms, Nov 3, 2006
  4. "marksimms" <> wrote in message

    > Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    > >
    > > What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).
    > >
    > > Jonathan

    > ADSL - 1500 down, 128 up (I know, I know....this could be a problem).

    I would not try your scenario on this speed of line. Your users will
    (probably) get poor quality and blame voip. Can you get a higher grade of
    service in this location?

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Mark,

    Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on
    their product sheet.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 4, 2006
  6. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    > Mark,
    >
    > Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on
    > their product sheet.
    >
    > Jonathan

    Sorry, I was away all weekend...
    I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What
    difference does it make ?
    Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain
    on an ethernet broadband connection. Yes, that means the terrible DSL
    provisioning by Verizon makes SOHO PBX's almost impossible. I've
    discovered that Comcast's broadband service will go up to 384 kbps
    uplink speed, but because it is a non-dedicated line, DLink does not
    recommend it.
    Bottomline: appears SOHO VOIP-PBX is a marginal proposition until
    fiber-optic networks become more commonplace.
    marksimms, Nov 6, 2006
  7. "marksimms" <> wrote in message

    > Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    >> Mark,
    >>
    >> Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on
    >> their product sheet.
    >>
    >> Jonathan

    > Sorry, I was away all weekend...
    > I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What
    > difference does it make ?
    > Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain
    > on an ethernet broadband connection.

    That depends on the codec you use (hence Jonathan's question). You may find
    a handy bandwidth calculator at
    http://www.asteriskguru.com/tools/bandwidth_calculator.php .

    Of course, apart from the PBX one must make sure that the chosen codec be
    supported also by the phone or ATA, and by the PSTN termination provider.

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Nov 6, 2006
  8. "marksimms" <> wrote in message

    > Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    > > Mark,
    > >
    > > Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that

    on
    > > their product sheet.
    > >
    > > Jonathan

    > Sorry, I was away all weekend...
    > I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What
    > difference does it make ?
    > Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain
    > on an ethernet broadband connection. Yes, that means the terrible DSL
    > provisioning by Verizon makes SOHO PBX's almost impossible. I've
    > discovered that Comcast's broadband service will go up to 384 kbps
    > uplink speed, but because it is a non-dedicated line, DLink does not
    > recommend it.
    > Bottomline: appears SOHO VOIP-PBX is a marginal proposition until
    > fiber-optic networks become more commonplace.

    Hey Mark,

    As Enzo pointed out, the codec used will dictate how much bandwidth each
    call takes. That was the reason for my question.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 6, 2006
  9. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Jonathan Roberts wrote:

    > Hey Mark,
    >
    > As Enzo pointed out, the codec used will dictate how much bandwidth each
    > call takes. That was the reason for my question.
    >
    > Jonathan

    Thanks guys..believe it or not, there is absolutely NO MENTION of codec
    support in either the technical documentation of the DVX-1000 or
    anywhere on the entire DLink.com website. I have a call into their tech
    support so I will ask that question.
    Another issue I have: If a VoSP supports SIP, does that make the
    authentication for the service a standard method ? I keep wondering if
    VOIP routers are required or have the latest batch of Linksys and DLink
    routers been enhanced to support any and all VoSP's ? I know at one
    point Lingo actually forced users to purchase THEIR DLink DVG-1402S
    VOIP router because they burnt-in proprietary firmware. So the whole
    issue of connection and authentication has me confused.
    marksimms, Nov 6, 2006
  10. "marksimms" <> wrote in message
    > Another issue I have: If a VoSP supports SIP, does that make the
    > authentication for the service a standard method ? I keep wondering if
    > VOIP routers are required or have the latest batch of Linksys and DLink
    > routers been enhanced to support any and all VoSP's ? I know at one
    > point Lingo actually forced users to purchase THEIR DLink DVG-1402S
    > VOIP router because they burnt-in proprietary firmware. So the whole
    > issue of connection and authentication has me confused.

    I think what you're asking depends on the SIP provider and if they 'lock'
    you to a device (check the useragent string in the SIP packets) and if they
    provide you their credentials. Basically, if they give you the info
    (username, password, server URL and possibly a few more bits) and do not
    require you use their device/program/website, you should be ok. Please let
    me know if I mis-read your question.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 7, 2006
  11. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Jonathan Roberts wrote:

    > I think what you're asking depends on the SIP provider and if they 'lock'
    > you to a device (check the useragent string in the SIP packets) and if they
    > provide you their credentials. Basically, if they give you the info
    > (username, password, server URL and possibly a few more bits) and do not
    > require you use their device/program/website, you should be ok. Please let
    > me know if I mis-read your question.
    >
    > Jonathan

    That's exactly what I discovered. It's best to get a recommendation
    from the hardware vendors as well....and DLink gave me Lingo and
    Broadvoice as reliable providers...and one's that can be authenticated
    with their DVX-1000 which I discovered has a built-in VOIP router. I
    also discovered that I must get certified to be able to install their
    VOIP PBX and it's probably a good thing because their current docs are
    so "lame"....they don't even tell you how to change the WAV file for
    the "music on hold" feature.
    This whole investigation has been intriguing and what I discovered is
    that Verizon is killing the SOHO VOIP PBX market in their ADSL
    offering...as the uplink speed is too slow to be useable at all.
    However, interestingly, Comcast's broadband service can provide up to
    768kbps bandwidth....and that would mean at least 7 concurrent
    calls...in theory. However, because Comcast deploys a "shared" network,
    the actual bandwidth could be about 50% ofthe theoretical. DLink tech
    support was not too keen at all about considering a cable broadband
    connection for VOIP PBX ! However, NO ALTERNATIVES exist in many areas
    as SDSL is very selective, and T1 lines are still at $469/mo at the
    best price (Covad Networks).
    marksimms, Nov 8, 2006
  12. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Regarding the codec support....in talking with DLink tech support (and
    I figured this out ahead of time), the type of codec is ENTIRELY
    IRRELEVANT if you match the vendor's PBX and their VOIP phones. Codec
    support only becomes an issue when mixing and matching from multiple
    vendors. However, I do agree, some codecs are more efficient than
    others and this is an issue for further investigation.
    marksimms, Nov 8, 2006
  13. "marksimms" <> wrote in message
    > That's exactly what I discovered. It's best to get a recommendation
    > from the hardware vendors as well....and DLink gave me Lingo and
    > Broadvoice as reliable providers...and one's that can be authenticated
    > with their DVX-1000 which I discovered has a built-in VOIP router. I
    > also discovered that I must get certified to be able to install their
    > VOIP PBX and it's probably a good thing because their current docs are
    > so "lame"....they don't even tell you how to change the WAV file for
    > the "music on hold" feature.
    > This whole investigation has been intriguing and what I discovered is
    > that Verizon is killing the SOHO VOIP PBX market in their ADSL
    > offering...as the uplink speed is too slow to be useable at all.
    > However, interestingly, Comcast's broadband service can provide up to
    > 768kbps bandwidth....and that would mean at least 7 concurrent
    > calls...in theory. However, because Comcast deploys a "shared" network,
    > the actual bandwidth could be about 50% ofthe theoretical. DLink tech
    > support was not too keen at all about considering a cable broadband
    > connection for VOIP PBX ! However, NO ALTERNATIVES exist in many areas
    > as SDSL is very selective, and T1 lines are still at $469/mo at the
    > best price (Covad Networks).

    Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become
    certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff
    already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 8, 2006
  14. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    > Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become
    > certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff
    > already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)
    >
    > Jonathan

    No I have not...the client backed-down from the project when the
    bandwidth issue became a sticking point. He wanted GUARANTEED clarity
    and reliability with his VOIP PBX. That was impossible without T1.
    I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....
    http://www.soho-voip-phone.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?GroupCode=I3185
    Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone
    makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it. Also, when you purchase
    the box and the cards, the price is not much better than the DVX-1000.
    marksimms, Nov 8, 2006
  15. "marksimms" <> wrote in message
    [...]
    > I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....
    > http://www.soho-voip-phone.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?GroupCode=I3185
    > Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone
    > makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it.

    KDE is not bad, but why do you want a resources-hungry GUI for a server
    application that just requires editing a few ASCII files (basically two) to
    be configured? Anyway, there are a few web-based frontends or even
    integrated distributions (such as www.trixbox.org ) that make the GUI issue
    essentially moot.

    Enzo
    Enzo Michelangeli, Nov 8, 2006
  16. marksimms

    marksimms Guest

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > KDE is not bad, but why do you want a resources-hungry GUI for a server
    > application that just requires editing a few ASCII files (basically two) to
    > be configured? Anyway, there are a few web-based frontends or even
    > integrated distributions (such as www.trixbox.org ) that make the GUI issue
    > essentially moot.
    >
    > Enzo

    Fair enough...an AMD Athlon 64 box can't cost more than $600 "all-in"
    right ?
    So what hardware cards, other than an ethernet card (if not on the MB),
    would one need to make this box a PBX ?
    Are there any that cards that act like a PSTN bridge ?
    We'd be considering 5-10 concurrent calls max.
    marksimms, Nov 9, 2006
  17. "marksimms" <> wrote in message

    > Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    > > Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become
    > > certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff
    > > already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)
    > >
    > > Jonathan

    > No I have not...the client backed-down from the project when the
    > bandwidth issue became a sticking point. He wanted GUARANTEED clarity
    > and reliability with his VOIP PBX. That was impossible without T1.
    > I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....

    http://www.soho-voip-phone.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?GroupCode=I3185
    > Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone
    > makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it. Also, when you purchase
    > the box and the cards, the price is not much better than the DVX-1000.

    You might look into Trixbox (www.trixbox.org) or Fonality
    (www.fonality.com).

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 9, 2006