    I am talking for "all practical purposes", absent CIA or KGB with
    advanced technology.

    Thanks

    Steve, Aug 4, 2005

  2. "Steve" <> writes:
    > I use VOIP (Voicepulse) over my laptop while on the road, connected via
    > Wi-Fi hotspots.
    >
    > My question: Are my phone conversations secure over these connections?
    > I am talking for "all practical purposes", absent CIA or KGB with
    > advanced technology.

    Secure in what sense? Are people most likely listening? Probably
    not. Why would they? Could they if they wanted to? Sure. Unless
    you are encrypting things you *are* broadcasting over the airwaves.
    It is no different from cell phones or cordless phones in that regard.

    If you want secure you have to make sure your voip uses a
    professionally designed encryption algorithm (say aes-128 or aes-256)
    in the approved manner. There are voip phones that can do this if
    configured the right way (such as the Sipura series when keyed
    correctly and talking to another phone keyed by the same issuing
    entity).

    -wolfgang
    Microsoft Vista - because "Virus Installer" was too long.

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Aug 4, 2005