  1. Has anyone done it? are there any issues (i.e. delays, lag, etc) or is it
    just like a regular voip over cable or DSL setup

    Sergio.

    sergio Fernandez, May 16, 2005

  2. sergio Fernandez

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    sergio Fernandez <> wrote:
    > Has anyone done it? are there any issues (i.e. delays, lag, etc) or is it
    > just like a regular voip over cable or DSL setup

    I've made it work, but the lag is obviously really severe. Okay for those
    cases where there's no other option, but I don't think many people could put
    up with it for ordinary day-to-day use.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 16, 2005

  3. sergio Fernandez

    Farouq Guest

    Intelstat have demonstrated voice over satellite links and the quality
    is quite good; especially now that many of us are used to using mobile
    calls where the voice quality is poor when compared to PSTN.

    Voice over satellite is often delivered into countries where the
    infrastructure is poor and so end users accept the poor quality as
    there is no alternative.

    Farouq.

    Farouq, May 17, 2005
  4. How much do they charge for the service?

    sergio Fernandez, May 17, 2005
  5. sergio Fernandez

    Guest

    I'd never heard of anyone trying to use VoIP via Satellite internet. I
    would think there would be a really bad lag, but obviously, I have no
    idea. I'd love to hear some reactions to how it works.

    , May 17, 2005
  6. sergio Fernandez

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article <ef6ie.773404$>
    "sergio Fernandez" <> writes:

    >Has anyone done it? are there any issues (i.e. delays, lag, etc) or is it
    >just like a regular voip over cable or DSL setup

    At its very best, Satellite is great for TV. Beyond TV it's not good for
    much of anything else except perhaps global positioning and telemetry.
    DSL Internet access over satellite is dreadful. Download speeds (consumer
    accounts) at times can be adequate for general web surfing, but simply
    awful for file transfers and literally impossible for gaming. VOIP
    telephone over conventional high altitude (22,000 mile) satellite orbits
    is, IMO, worse than "unacceptable" except perhaps for satellite
    hobbyiests, home tinkerers and gadgeteers who are amused by playing with
    technological excrement that just barely works, if at all. The satellite
    video phones you saw being demonstrated during the early days of the Iraq
    war are -not- consumer grade devices. Those devices use (and pay for) far
    more bandwidth than consumer grade phones. Those satellite calls you saw
    were placed with uplink devices costing over $10,000 per terminal and the
    bandwidth cost was approx $6/minute.... and you all saw how crappy the
    call quality was.

    Mitel Lurker, May 18, 2005
  7. On 17 May 2005 02:55:57 -0700, "Farouq" <>
    wrote:

    >Intelstat have demonstrated voice over satellite links and the quality
    >is quite good; especially now that many of us are used to using mobile
    >calls where the voice quality is poor when compared to PSTN.
    >
    >Voice over satellite is often delivered into countries where the
    >infrastructure is poor and so end users accept the poor quality as
    >there is no alternative.

    Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
    clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
    distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
    with that, it's ok.

    This was using the g729a codec.

    peter

    Peter Gradwell, May 18, 2005
  8. sergio Fernandez

    Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:

    > Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
    > clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
    > distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
    > with that, it's ok.
    >
    > This was using the g729a codec.
    >
    > peter

    That's really interesting. I had no idea that VoIP would work so well
    over satelite broadband. That's a pretty interesting concept that I
    can only imagine will grow as the industry does.

    , May 19, 2005
  9. sergio Fernandez

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Peter Gradwell wrote:
    >> Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our
    >> clients (www.bentleywalker.com) which is a big satelite broadband
    >> distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope
    >> with that, it's ok.
    >>
    >> This was using the g729a codec.

    > That's really interesting. I had no idea that VoIP would work so well
    > over satelite broadband. That's a pretty interesting concept that I
    > can only imagine will grow as the industry does.

    There are three barriers to smooth VoIPping: latency, bandwidth, and jitter.
    There's no particular rason that bandwidth or jitter have to be a problem
    with satellite connections, but the latency is almost always severe. For
    people who aren't very accustomed to 1+ second lag, it is very disruptive.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 19, 2005
  10. Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote areas.
    so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.

    sergio Fernandez, May 19, 2005
  11. sergio Fernandez

    wkearney99 Guest

    > Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote areas.
    > so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.

    There's nothing that can be done to "make it work". The laws of physics
    mean going 22,000 miles up to a satellite and back down again will take
    time. That 44k round-trip cannot be gotten around. The only reason to use
    satellite is if NO wired solution exists in the area.

    wkearney99, May 20, 2005
  12. "wkearney99" <> wrote in message
    > > Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote

    areas.
    > > so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.

    > There's nothing that can be done to "make it work". The laws of physics
    > mean going 22,000 miles up to a satellite and back down again will take
    > time. That 44k round-trip cannot be gotten around. The only reason to

    use
    > satellite is if NO wired solution exists in the area.

    Geosynchronous Orbit Approximately 280 milliseconds one way

    "Low earth orbit is approximately 300 to 1,000 miles above the earth. It
    takes about 20 to 40 milliseconds for a signal to bounce from an earth bound
    station to a LEO then back to an earth station. This is compared to the ½
    second it takes the same signal to bounce off a GEO satellite. "

    http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall99/Coffey/LEO.HTM

    http://www.satcom.co.uk/article.asp?article=11

    http://www.satcomgroup.com/iridium/iridium-9505-satellite-phone.asp?lang=#specs

    Low earth orbit reduces the trip time but the cost is still the problem,
    VOIP is not a good choice for any
    satellite system. The overhead of VOIP and digital encoding is not a good
    match.

    Stanley Reynolds, May 21, 2005
  13. sergio Fernandez

    mazza Guest

    The only device that can work over satellite is Innovaphone, but you
    need to know the exactly delay between the end point. Over satellite
    there is a bad delay and a bad jitter for VoIP so you have to buy only
    some satellite connection. It's very different from DSLsetup.
    Innovaphone have the best jitter buffer that I know.

    Cristian

    mazza, May 23, 2005
  14. sergio Fernandez

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    mazza <> wrote:
    > The only device that can work over satellite is Innovaphone, but you
    > need to know the exactly delay between the end point. Over satellite
    > there is a bad delay and a bad jitter for VoIP so you have to buy only
    > some satellite connection. It's very different from DSLsetup.
    > Innovaphone have the best jitter buffer that I know.

    I'm using a Sipura 1001 with the jitter buffer set to "high" and it's
    serviceable over this satellite link (though the lag is inevitably awful):

    PING www.broadvoice.com (147.135.0.5): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=105 time=1240.04 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=105 time=1171.79 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=105 time=1103.85 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=105 time=1035.42 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=4 ttl=105 time=1277.95 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=5 ttl=105 time=1215.61 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=6 ttl=105 time=1147.57 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=7 ttl=105 time=1263.77 ms
    64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=8 ttl=105 time=1506.29 ms
    ^C
    --- www.broadvoice.com ping statistics ---
    round-trip min/avg/max = 1035.42/1218.03/1506.29 ms

    Packet RTTs even in this small sample varied by 50%, an absolute amount of
    500ms.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 23, 2005