    Hi,
    I was told by a sale rep, the only media to use VOIP is MPLS and not
    FR or ATM. It is true.
    mimiseh, Jun 15, 2006

  2. mimiseh

    stephen Guest

    "mimiseh" <> wrote in message
    news:Iyikg.13$...
    > Hi,
    > I was told by a sale rep, the only media to use VOIP is MPLS and not
    > FR or ATM. It is true.

    No. Voip is "just ip" - but if you expect to get overloads on theWAN (which
    you should) then you need some sort of voice traffic priority to control
    what happens.

    FWIW i have a customer who has seriously fast WAN links - and although they
    are planning to use QoS to handle their Voip traffic, it has worked fine so
    far in a few ad hoc tests.

    what you need is a network that can support QoS, and a way to make sure you
    dont send too much Voip down any one link.

    However with F/R or ATM the routers at the edge of the cloud have to control
    traffic flow to give priority to voice, and limit traffic so that you dont
    get lots of queuing delay or loss of Voip packets.

    exactly the same is true if you go for point to point serial links.

    What you will find is if you want a layer 3 managed service with embedded
    QoS then MPLS is now the typical way to get it - as long as your provider
    supports it.

    The other way of looking at it is that this is all he could sell where the
    service description even mentions Voip.....

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Jun 15, 2006

  3. You may wish to investigate Chapter 2, MPLS TE Technology Overview:

    http://www.ciscopress.com/content/i....pdf?aid=dcb9cea5-50c2-44d3-af02-9ab5cc199d74

    >From the Cisco Press Book, QoS for IP/MPLS Networks, authored by

    Santiago Alvarez, CCIE No. 3621, who focuses on MPLS and QoS
    technologies within the Cisco IOS Technology Group:

    http://www.ciscopress.com/title/1587052334?aid=dcb9cea5-50c2-44d3-af02-9ab5cc199d74

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
    http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm
    www.BradReese.Com, Jun 15, 2006
  4. mimiseh

    jw Guest

    And what kind of access to this MPLS network is the sales guy pushing?
    VoIP is just that - over IP.
    Given appropriate b/w, low enough latency and erroring, it is irrelevant.

    jw, Jun 19, 2006