    However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
    mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
    have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

    Leo, May 19, 2005

  2. Why not use one of the B-Channels for voice? Most ISDN routers can
    automatically add and drop a B Channel from your data connection when it is
    needed for voice.

    I have some Cisco 804 ISDN routers with 2 pots ports available for sale at a
    good price if you are interested.

    Mike Schumann

    Mike Schumann, May 19, 2005

  3. Leo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Leo <> wrote:
    > For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN.
    > I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to
    > do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service
    > over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated
    > with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty
    > for good voice traffic.
    > However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
    > mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
    > have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

    Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason you
    don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most places.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 19, 2005
  4. Leo

    Leo Guest

    > Why not use one of the B-Channels for voice? Most ISDN routers can
    > automatically add and drop a B Channel from your data connection when it
    > is needed for voice.
    >
    > I have some Cisco 804 ISDN routers with 2 pots ports available for sale at
    > a good price if you are interested.
    >
    > Mike Schumann

    Yes, the B channels and the pot ports can be directly used for voice,
    only however under the supervision/billing of the Telco (as far as I know
    ....)
    thus negating the price advantage of the VoIP scheme.

    Leo

    Leo, May 20, 2005
  5. Leo

    Orc General Guest

    "Miguel Cruz" <> wrote in message
    > Leo <> wrote:
    > > For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN.
    > > I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to
    > > do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service
    > > over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated
    > > with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty
    > > for good voice traffic.
    > > However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
    > > mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
    > > have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

    > Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason you
    > don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most

    places.

    > miguel
    > --
    > Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    > Latest photos: Queens Day in Amsterdam; the Grand Canyon; Amman, Jordan

    What is ISDN replaced with?

    Orc General, May 20, 2005
  6. Leo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Orc General <> wrote:
    > "Miguel Cruz" <> wrote:
    >> Leo <> wrote:
    >>> However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only
    >>> mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys
    >>> have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

    >> Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason
    >> you don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most
    >> places.

    > What is ISDN replaced with?

    2B+D is squeezed out by DSL and cable modems.

    PRI isn't going anywhere, I should have clarified.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 20, 2005
  7. In Qwest territory, if you have ISDN, voice channels are a freebee. You
    still have to pay long distance charges (you can use any carrier, just like
    on an analog line), but local calls are free. Also, the standard price
    includes most options you can think of (Caller ID, Call Transfer, Call
    Conference, etc....). It turns out that the ISDN pricing is less than 2
    business lines, so it's a relatively good deal just for voice.

    Mike Schumann

    Mike Schumann, May 21, 2005