    Does the VPN's inbuilt compression have any positive or negative effects?

    Any gotchas?

    Thanks

    linker3000, May 21, 2006

  2. linker3000

    PeterW Guest

    linker3000 <> wrote in
    news:44708c2b$0$683$:

    > Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically
    > OpenVPN?
    >
    > Does the VPN's inbuilt compression have any positive or negative effects?
    >
    > Any gotchas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes - I have routed IAX2 down an openVPN tunnel (as well as a bespoke
    protocol). SIP could be "interesting".

    You may have problems with packet routing and have to use DNAT/SNAT (to
    route UDP packets incoming to the openVPN server and send them to the
    TUN/TAP adapter to get them to the client)

    Compression doesn't help and can make the audio poor unless your openVPN
    server has a fast processor that can compress very fast.

    Peter

    PeterW, May 21, 2006

  3. linker3000

    linker3000 Guest

    PeterW wrote:
    > linker3000 <> wrote in
    >
    >> Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically
    >> OpenVPN?
    >>
    >> Does the VPN's inbuilt compression have any positive or negative effects?
    >>
    >> Any gotchas?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Yes - I have routed IAX2 down an openVPN tunnel (as well as a bespoke
    > protocol). SIP could be "interesting".
    >
    > You may have problems with packet routing and have to use DNAT/SNAT (to
    > route UDP packets incoming to the openVPN server and send them to the
    > TUN/TAP adapter to get them to the client)
    >
    > Compression doesn't help and can make the audio poor unless your openVPN
    > server has a fast processor that can compress very fast.
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks for the insight.

    L3K

    linker3000, May 21, 2006
  4. linker3000

    aap Guest

    "linker3000" <> wrote in message
    > Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically

    KPN (old dutch BT) is running VOIP over VPN for security.
    No problem.

    In general
    - VPN is only increasing latency (trough encryption) and latency should be
    below 100ms for the best quality.
    - VPN is adding compexity trough NAT/NAS, so you have to use STUN servers

    aap, May 22, 2006