VOIP over a closed network

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    network with no connection to the internet?

    I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    there and no line of sight.

    Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    telephones. Suggestions anyone?

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    > network with no connection to the internet?
    >
    > I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    > have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    > there and no line of sight.
    >
    > Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    > telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >

    VOIP is ideal for such situations I would have thought. I'm not sure
    what hardware/software you'd need though. I theeenk that you would need
    a smart router and a couple of VOIP phones, but I'm not too sure. Must
    investigate sometime....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
     
    Enkidu, Aug 28, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:13:30 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>
    >> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >> there and no line of sight.
    >>
    >> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>

    >VOIP is ideal for such situations I would have thought. I'm not sure
    >what hardware/software you'd need though. I theeenk that you would need
    >a smart router and a couple of VOIP phones, but I'm not too sure. Must
    >investigate sometime....
    >

    I have a feeling that VOIP requires a server to handle authentication,
    but I'm a bit vague on the details.

    In this situation something as simple as an intercom would probably
    work.

    If only they had used a piece of string instead of fibre we could
    solve the problem with a couple of baked bean tins :)

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008
    #3
  4. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    >>

    > I have a feeling that VOIP requires a server to handle authentication,
    > but I'm a bit vague on the details.
    >

    Linksys SPA9000 IP PABX, and a couple of SIP phones.
     
    EMB, Aug 28, 2008
    #4
  5. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:34:43 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>

    >> I have a feeling that VOIP requires a server to handle authentication,
    >> but I'm a bit vague on the details.
    >>

    >Linksys SPA9000 IP PABX, and a couple of SIP phones.


    That looks like a tidy little solution, thanks.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008
    #5
  6. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 28 Aug 2008 22:49:23 +1200, Carnations <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:14:40 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>
    >> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage there
    >> and no line of sight.
    >>
    >> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >> telephones. Suggestions anyone?

    >
    >Yes - VOIP is best used on circuits where you can control and specify the
    >Quality Of Service (QOS) that is used to deliver the VOIP packets. You
    >may want to investigate an PBX application called Asterisk. You'll
    >probably need something like that if you want to run VOIP telephony.
    >
    >http://www.asterisk.org/
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_PBX
    >
    >Also, depending on the size of that fibre pipe you'll probably want to
    >check out what sort of compression codec you want to use as that can make
    >a big difference both to the clarity of the sound and the bandwidth used.


    Thanks, I'll check it out. I suspect it might be overkill for this
    particular situation though.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008
    #6
  7. Ray Greene

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-28, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    > network with no connection to the internet?


    absolutely, all that's needed is IP.

    > I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    > have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    > there and no line of sight.


    > Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    > telephones. Suggestions anyone?


    I can only think of software solutions.
    asterisk,
    ekiga
    or some other SIP product.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    Jasen Betts, Aug 28, 2008
    #7
  8. Ray Greene

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:34:43 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> I have a feeling that VOIP requires a server to handle authentication,
    >>> but I'm a bit vague on the details.
    >>>

    >> Linksys SPA9000 IP PABX, and a couple of SIP phones.

    >
    > That looks like a tidy little solution, thanks.
    >

    <shameless promotion>

    I can probably sell you a used SPA9000

    </shameless promotion>

    And also give you a few pointers about setting one up.
     
    EMB, Aug 28, 2008
    #8
  9. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:19:41 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:34:43 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>> I have a feeling that VOIP requires a server to handle authentication,
    >>>> but I'm a bit vague on the details.
    >>>>
    >>> Linksys SPA9000 IP PABX, and a couple of SIP phones.

    >>
    >> That looks like a tidy little solution, thanks.
    >>

    ><shameless promotion>
    >
    >I can probably sell you a used SPA9000
    >
    ></shameless promotion>
    >
    >And also give you a few pointers about setting one up.


    Thanks for the offer EMB, but it's for a client and they will probably
    want to buy new.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008
    #9
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 28 Aug 2008 23:26:36 +1200, Carnations <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:57:55 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, I'll check it out. I suspect it might be overkill for this
    >> particular situation though.

    >
    >If you want to run a VOIP telephony system then you'll definitely want
    >something like Asterix, or Cisco Call Manager otherwise you won't be able
    >to have VOIP going from more than one telephone to more than one
    >telephone.
    >
    >It'll be worth exploring, and then you'll probably want to go the whole
    >hog. :eek:)


    For the foreseeable future it's two buildings, two people, two phones
    and nothing more, so I doubt the client will agree to anything
    complex, especially if it requires a new PC.

    I'll look into it though, it might be useful in the future.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 28, 2008
    #10
  11. Ray Greene

    Smiles Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    > network with no connection to the internet?
    >
    > I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    > have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    > there and no line of sight.
    >
    > Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    > telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >


    Check out http://www.grandstream.com/bt101.html

    They can do direct IP calling and are on sale at the moment at dick smiths!
     
    Smiles, Aug 29, 2008
    #11
  12. Ray Greene

    Smiles Guest

    Smiles wrote:
    > Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>
    >> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >> there and no line of sight.
    >>
    >> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>

    >
    > Check out http://www.grandstream.com/bt101.html
    >
    > They can do direct IP calling and are on sale at the moment at dick smiths!



    As a quick side note they are branded with slingshot which means the
    admin P/W is budgeclub :)
     
    Smiles, Aug 29, 2008
    #12
  13. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:21:23 +1200, thing2 <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >> network with no connection to the internet?

    >
    >yes...
    >
    >> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >> there and no line of sight.
    >>
    >> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >> telephones. Suggestions anyone?

    >
    >Some of the things I started to look at are OSS, a VoIP gateway...I
    >never went much further...I would expect that there is a small SME
    >blackbox out there that you just plugin to your ethernet network...and
    >get a ethernet phone or two and off you go...


    That would be the Linksys box that EMB recommended. I've ordered one
    and I'll be installing it tomorrow if it turns up.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2008
    #13
  14. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:46:28 +1200, Smiles <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>
    >> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >> there and no line of sight.
    >>
    >> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>

    >
    >Check out http://www.grandstream.com/bt101.html
    >
    >They can do direct IP calling and are on sale at the moment at dick smiths!


    I think these units require teh intarweb or a PBX.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2008
    #14
  15. Ray Greene

    Enkidu Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:46:28 +1200, Smiles <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >>> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >>> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >>> there and no line of sight.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >>> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>>

    >> Check out http://www.grandstream.com/bt101.html
    >>
    >> They can do direct IP calling and are on sale at the moment at dick smiths!

    >
    > I think these units require teh intarweb or a PBX.
    >

    If it can do direct IP calling, as claimed by Smiles, maybe not.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - my biggest fan and follower, on a newsgroup, somewhere.
     
    Enkidu, Aug 29, 2008
    #15
  16. Ray Greene

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-28, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > On 28 Aug 2008 22:49:23 +1200, Carnations <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:14:40 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >>> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >>> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage there
    >>> and no line of sight.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >>> telephones. Suggestions anyone?

    >>
    >>Yes - VOIP is best used on circuits where you can control and specify the
    >>Quality Of Service (QOS) that is used to deliver the VOIP packets. You
    >>may want to investigate an PBX application called Asterisk. You'll
    >>probably need something like that if you want to run VOIP telephony.
    >>
    >>http://www.asterisk.org/
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_PBX
    >>
    >>Also, depending on the size of that fibre pipe you'll probably want to
    >>check out what sort of compression codec you want to use as that can make
    >>a big difference both to the clarity of the sound and the bandwidth used.

    >
    > Thanks, I'll check it out. I suspect it might be overkill for this
    > particular situation though.


    If you already have a pc at atleast one end of the line it may be
    cheaper than the linksys pabx the asterisk software is free.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    Jasen Betts, Aug 29, 2008
    #16
  17. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:35:26 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:46:28 +1200, Smiles <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >>>> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>>>
    >>>> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >>>> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >>>> there and no line of sight.
    >>>>
    >>>> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >>>> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>>>
    >>> Check out http://www.grandstream.com/bt101.html
    >>>
    >>> They can do direct IP calling and are on sale at the moment at dick smiths!

    >>
    >> I think these units require teh intarweb or a PBX.
    >>

    >If it can do direct IP calling, as claimed by Smiles, maybe not.
    >

    OK, I'll have to have a closer look then. I've found a solution for
    this particular job but it's bound to come up again in future.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 29, 2008
    #17
  18. Ray Greene

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-29, thingy <> wrote:

    >>> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >>>> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >>>> there and no line of sight.


    > Line of sight?


    he says no.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    Jasen Betts, Aug 30, 2008
    #18
  19. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 29 Aug 2008 10:17:33 GMT, Jasen Betts <> wrote:

    >On 2008-08-28, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >> On 28 Aug 2008 22:49:23 +1200, Carnations <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:14:40 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >>>> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>>>
    >>>> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >>>> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage there
    >>>> and no line of sight.
    >>>>
    >>>> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >>>> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>>
    >>>Yes - VOIP is best used on circuits where you can control and specify the
    >>>Quality Of Service (QOS) that is used to deliver the VOIP packets. You
    >>>may want to investigate an PBX application called Asterisk. You'll
    >>>probably need something like that if you want to run VOIP telephony.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.asterisk.org/
    >>>
    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_PBX
    >>>
    >>>Also, depending on the size of that fibre pipe you'll probably want to
    >>>check out what sort of compression codec you want to use as that can make
    >>>a big difference both to the clarity of the sound and the bandwidth used.

    >>
    >> Thanks, I'll check it out. I suspect it might be overkill for this
    >> particular situation though.

    >
    >If you already have a pc at atleast one end of the line it may be
    >cheaper than the linksys pabx the asterisk software is free.
    >

    There are PCs at each end but they are running their own specialised
    software and can't be used for anything else, so unfortunately it
    would require a new PC.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 30, 2008
    #19
  20. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:04:50 +1200, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:21:23 +1200, thing2 <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run VOIP or similar over a
    >>>> network with no connection to the internet?
    >>> yes...
    >>>
    >>>> I have 2 sites connected only by a few kilometers of fibre and need to
    >>>> have a telephone link between them. There's no cellphone coverage
    >>>> there and no line of sight.
    >>>>
    >>>> Maybe there is a hardware solution, but I don't know much about
    >>>> telephones. Suggestions anyone?
    >>> Some of the things I started to look at are OSS, a VoIP gateway...I
    >>> never went much further...I would expect that there is a small SME
    >>> blackbox out there that you just plugin to your ethernet network...and
    >>> get a ethernet phone or two and off you go...

    >>
    >> That would be the Linksys box that EMB recommended. I've ordered one
    >> and I'll be installing it tomorrow if it turns up.
    >>

    >
    >Line of sight? <3km? What about 2 prs base stations?
    >

    No line of sight unfortunately, or we might have gone that way.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Aug 30, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?bHNoaXJvdGE=?=

    Can't set closed wireless network to automatic

    =?Utf-8?B?bHNoaXJvdGE=?=, Apr 25, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    406
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Apr 25, 2007
  2. Hank
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    12,722
    jasen
    Nov 18, 2006
  3. Theo Markettos

    VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G

    Theo Markettos, Feb 3, 2008, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,028
    Theo Markettos
    Feb 14, 2008
  4. News Reader
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,274
    News Reader
    Apr 25, 2008
  5. News Reader
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,031
    News Reader
    Apr 25, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page