    If I use VoIP to call out (ATT CallVantage) will my phone number show
    correctly on the recipient's Caller ID? Would this vary with different
    locations? - RM

    Rick Merrill, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > If I use VoIP to call out (ATT CallVantage) will my phone number show
    > correctly on the recipient's Caller ID? Would this vary with different
    > locations? - RM

    I can tell you from my experience with Vonage that it will show your
    number but not your name. But there is Caller ID block available with
    Vonage.

    , Jan 31, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >
    >> If I use VoIP to call out (ATT CallVantage) will my phone number show
    >> correctly on the recipient's Caller ID? Would this vary with
    >> different locations? - RM

    > I can tell you from my experience with Vonage that it will show your
    > number but not your name. But there is Caller ID block available with
    > Vonage.

    I just found out that it shows both number and ID correctly. It sort of
    eases my mind about the 911 issue.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Rick Merrill

    Jon Wang Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:10:50 -0500, Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Rick Merrill wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I use VoIP to call out (ATT CallVantage) will my phone number show
    >>> correctly on the recipient's Caller ID? Would this vary with
    >>> different locations? - RM

    >> I can tell you from my experience with Vonage that it will show your
    >> number but not your name. But there is Caller ID block available with
    >> Vonage.

    >I just found out that it shows both number and ID correctly. It sort of
    >eases my mind about the 911 issue.

    Rick,
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "both number and id?"
    Specifically, the "id" part.

    My guess is that you meant only the number--just the way you said it.

    I have a different service and have evaluated yet another--neither
    have had a name associated with it upon reaching the called-number CID
    box. So I was wondering if AT&T was doing something more?

    Furthermore, I realize (for those that may be tempted to respond with
    additional info) that it's really the "lookup" or "dip" that's done by
    the terminating carrier. In the case of a LEC, the LIDB furnishes the
    info for CID. However, it's contents are driven by the info that the
    carrier who owns the number provides. In this topic, it would be AT&T
    CallAdvantage.
    Jon

    Jon Wang, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Jon Wang wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:10:50 -0500, Rick Merrill
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:

    >>>I can tell you from my experience with Vonage that it will show your
    >>>number but not your name. But there is Caller ID block available with
    >>>Vonage.

    >>I just found out that it shows both number and ID correctly. It sort of
    >>eases my mind about the 911 issue.

    > Rick,
    > I'm curious as to what you mean by "both number and id?"
    > Specifically, the "id" part.
    >
    > My guess is that you meant only the number--just the way you said it.
    >
    > I have a different service and have evaluated yet another--neither
    > have had a name associated with it upon reaching the called-number CID
    > box. So I was wondering if AT&T was doing something more?
    >
    > Furthermore, I realize (for those that may be tempted to respond with
    > additional info) that it's really the "lookup" or "dip" that's done by
    > the terminating carrier. In the case of a LEC, the LIDB furnishes the
    > info for CID. However, it's contents are driven by the info that the
    > carrier who owns the number provides. In this topic, it would be AT&T
    > CallAdvantage.
    > Jon

    According to my correspondent, number and name showed up on their caller
    ID. ATT uses "AnyWho" to associate name with number. Sorry, but I do
    not know any other details of how it works.

    I do know that for 911 calls it is an ATT responder who must forward the
    call to the local police/fire/ems based on the information that the
    subscriber (me) entered into the CallVantage system. I have *heard*
    that that (2nd) call does not arrive at our local constabulary with the
    appropriate hardware generated information to trigger the E911 system
    that our town has. In other words, the 911 caller (from my house)
    really needs to stay on the line. Can others elaborate on this?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 1, 2005