    Seems Gizmo and Skype start at W2K to XP and Mac X.

    I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

    DMK

    D. Kirkpatrick, Jun 27, 2006

  2. D. Kirkpatrick

    B. Wright Guest

    D. Kirkpatrick <> wrote:
    > Silly question, but will any of the VOIP systems run on Windows 95? I
    > ask because I have a spare old system here that might be used as a
    > dedicated system for that.

    > Seems Gizmo and Skype start at W2K to XP and Mac X.

    Use one of the Linux live bootable CDs that don't require
    installation to the HD if you don't want to erase that old piece of crap
    (W95) from your machine. I know the Knoppix CD has at least one built
    in SIP phone (kphone), possibly more, and some of the other CD bootable
    distributions probably have one as well.

    > I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

    The OS doesn't really indicate the speed of the chip, they're
    not related. My friend in Brazil had an old bag of crap PC with Win98
    on it, I booted up Knoppix and used kphone just fine on it and it was
    handling the PPPOE connection at the same time as well. So, just try it
    and find out.

    B. Wright, Jun 30, 2006

  3. In article <e82vje$lbk$>,
    "B. Wright" <> wrote:

    > Use one of the Linux live bootable CDs that don't require
    > installation to the HD if you don't want to erase that old piece of crap
    > (W95) from your machine. I know the Knoppix CD has at least one built
    > in SIP phone (kphone), possibly more, and some of the other CD bootable
    > distributions probably have one as well.
    >
    > > I expect the processor chip is too slow on W95?

    > The OS doesn't really indicate the speed of the chip, they're
    > not related. My friend in Brazil had an old bag of crap PC with Win98
    > on it, I booted up Knoppix and used kphone just fine on it and it was
    > handling the PPPOE connection at the same time as well. So, just try it
    > and find out.

    Thanks.

    URL for that software by any chance? I don't mind wiping the W95 as
    long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original
    installer CD's still so I can always go back.

    DMK

    D. Kirkpatrick, Jun 30, 2006

    www.knoppix.org

    > I don't mind wiping the W95 as
    > long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original
    > installer CD's still so I can always go back.

    You won't need to install anythingL Knoppix runs from the CDROM.

    Or, even better, if you have a largish USB flashdrive and your PC can boot
    from "USB FDD", consider Slax:

    http://www.slax.org/

    Start from the ISO image of the "KillBill" version
    (http://www.slax.org/download.php ), add modules from
    http://www.slax.org/modules.php (directly under Windows with
    http://myslax.bonsonno.org/download.php ; get KPhone from
    http://www.slax.org/modules.php?category=network&id=345&name=KPhone ), burn
    the USB flashdrive and boot up!

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jun 30, 2006

    <http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/>

    > I don't mind wiping the W95 as
    > long as I can replace it with something useful. I have the original
    > installer CD's still so I can always go back.

    Knoppix runs from CD. After you shut it down it's completely gone without
    a trace. Unless you told it to save some configuration to you Windows
    partition.

    You are also free to "install" (it's more copying and starting some setup
    scripts after that) Knoppix. You can even install it next to Windows. The
    setup will detect Windows and offer to resize its space and create an
    empty Linux partition if you want so.

    I have it here. But it doesn't come with Skype for example. But you can
    install Skype (even if you only run from CD, but then after a reboot
    Skype is gone too). You download the Debian binary (has the extension
    *.deb) and save it to your Windows partition. Then after booting from the
    Knoppix CD and can always "install" it again.

    You need at least 128 MB ram if you want to run Knoppix. Though 64 would
    probably be enough if you don't use the GUI (windows, mouse and
    stuff). But for a beginner that's not recommended. And Skype and other
    VOIP programs need a GUI of course.

    You will have the feeling that Knoppix is slower than Windows 95. Of
    course, since it loads every program from the slow CD rom and puts it to
    your ram memory. If you install it it's much faster.
    --
    Andreas
    PGP Key available on public key servers

    Andreas Kohlbach, Jul 1, 2006