    Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
    time?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Brian A

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
    > Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone
    > at the same time?

    Shouldn't be a problem. 512 is fast enough for a single PC and a phone
    call, although if you anticipate several PC's and more than one
    simultaneous call it will probably struggle. Remember a single VoIP call
    on the highest quality codec will take approx. 80-90k in *both*
    directions, watch your uplink speed.

    Do you intend to use a PC with a softphone such as X-Lite or an adaptor to
    plug in a normal phone..? The latter, while initially expensive as you
    have to buy it (although some providers give you one when you open an
    account, but it may be locked to them, which is limiting for some) but the
    quality of audio is far better.

    Do you have a provider or equipment in mind..?

    Hope this helps,

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Brian A

    Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:05:45 +0100, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
    >Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
    >time?

    We had problems with a 2Mb connection fromTW regarding voip so I think
    you will be struggling with a 512 now on a 2Mb ADSL connection no
    problems at all. On the other hand TW broadband is fine for general
    use and about the only thing that is good and worth the money from
    Telewest .

    , Aug 18, 2005
  4. Brian A

    stephen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:05:45 +0100, Brian A
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
    > >Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
    > >time?

    > We had problems with a 2Mb connection fromTW regarding voip so I think
    > you will be struggling with a 512 now on a 2Mb ADSL connection no
    > problems at all. On the other hand TW broadband is fine for general
    > use and about the only thing that is good and worth the money from
    > Telewest .

    may be the uplink speed - NTL cable only has 128 Kbps uplink (not sure about
    Telewest, but AFAIK the spec is v similar), whereas ADSL gives you 256 Kbps.

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Brian A

    sean Guest

    stephen wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:05:45 +0100, Brian A
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
    >>>Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
    >>>time?

    >>We had problems with a 2Mb connection fromTW regarding voip so I think
    >>you will be struggling with a 512 now on a 2Mb ADSL connection no
    >>problems at all. On the other hand TW broadband is fine for general
    >>use and about the only thing that is good and worth the money from
    >>Telewest .

    > may be the uplink speed - NTL cable only has 128 Kbps uplink (not sure about
    > Telewest, but AFAIK the spec is v similar), whereas ADSL gives you 256 Kbps.

    Yes, Telewest is 128 up on 512 down

    sean, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Brian A

    Jono Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
    > Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
    > time?
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    From September (or soon after), your speed will be increased to 2Mb down,
    256k up

    See here www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

    Jono, Aug 18, 2005
  7. stephen wrote:

    > may be the uplink speed - NTL cable only has 128 Kbps uplink (not sure about
    > Telewest, but AFAIK the spec is v similar), whereas ADSL gives you 256 Kbps.

    NTL standard cable is now 2Mb down, 256Kb up. It has made a slight
    improvement to the reliability of my calls when someone else is using
    the connection at the same time.

    Steve.

    Steven Sumpter, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Brian A

    Dave Gill Guest

    Brian A <> wrote:

    > How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
    > Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
    > time?

    I'm using VoIP on a TW 512 connection; it works, but not brilliantly.

    I have a Sipura 2100 router/ATA so at least I can get some sort of QoS
    when someone is browsing at the same time as someone else is using the
    phone, but a 128 uplink doesn't really cut it with G711, so I'm using
    G729 which is more mobile-quality than landline-quality. :-/

    I must say I'm looking forward to the 256 uplink upgrade...

    Dave Gill, Aug 18, 2005