    spell DSL, so I don't know how much confidence to put in his answer ("Oh
    ,sure!").

    Thanks,
    Chris Shearer Cooper, Jun 27, 2006

  2. "Chris Shearer Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > I get my Internet over DSL ... can I switch my one-and-only land line to
    > VoIP? Or will shutting off the phone service also shut off the DSL?
    >
    > I tried calling my ring-tone provider (QWest) and the guy I got could

    barely
    > spell DSL, so I don't know how much confidence to put in his answer ("Oh
    > ,sure!").
    >
    > Thanks,

    You will lose DSL. You can subscribe to "naked" DSL -- DSL without a line
    attached.
    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Chris Shearer Cooper

    John Osmon Guest

    Chris Shearer Cooper <> wrote:
    : I get my Internet over DSL ... can I switch my one-and-only land line to
    : VoIP? Or will shutting off the phone service also shut off the DSL?

    : I tried calling my ring-tone provider (QWest) and the guy I got could barely
    : spell DSL, so I don't know how much confidence to put in his answer ("Oh
    : ,sure!").

    With Qwest, if you cancel your phone service, your DSL line will be
    canceled as well.

    However, you can order "stand alone" DSL (Qwest vocabulary) that doesn't
    include a dial-tone.

    If you have the right folks write the orders, it *is* possible to
    have all of the following occur at once:
    - write a disconnect order for your phone line (removing DSL as well)
    - write a new order for stand alone DSL
    - ask for the stand alone DSL to be ordered on the same wire pair
    that used to have you phone line (asking to "reuse existing
    facility")
    - ask for all of the above to be completed simultaneously

    It's sometimes easier to find a Qwest agency, and talk to the folks
    there when you want complicated things like this.
    John Osmon, Jun 27, 2006
  4. And then I need to coordinate transferring my phone number to my new VoIP
    provider as well ... this is starting to sound really painful!

    Chris Shearer Cooper, Jun 27, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > And then I need to coordinate transferring my phone number to my new VoIP
    > provider as well ... this is starting to sound really painful!

    When I did this for my office, I temporarily forwarded my office phone
    number to my work cell phone, and used that as my network availability
    number for my VoIP provider, so I didn't really have to worry about the
    exact timing of all the transitions.

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Joshua Putnam, Jun 27, 2006
  6. Chris Shearer Cooper

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jonathan Roberts" <> wrote
    in message news:G61og.58243$9c6.30581@dukeread11
    > "Chris Shearer Cooper" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > I get my Internet over DSL ... can I switch my
    > > one-and-only land line to VoIP? Or will shutting off
    > > the phone service also shut off the DSL?
    > >
    > > I tried calling my ring-tone provider (QWest) and the
    > > guy I got could barely spell DSL, so I don't know how
    > > much confidence to put in his answer ("Oh ,sure!").
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > You will lose DSL. You can subscribe to "naked" DSL --
    > DSL without a line attached.

    Depends what country you're in, you can't do it in the UK, you have to
    have a phone line. No line, no DSL.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 27, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > And then I need to coordinate transferring my phone number to my new VoIP
    > > provider as well ... this is starting to sound really painful!

    > When I did this for my office, I temporarily forwarded my office phone
    > number to my work cell phone, and used that as my network availability
    > number for my VoIP provider, so I didn't really have to worry about the
    > exact timing of all the transitions.

    Should also mention, I am in Qwest territory, and they're providing my
    DSL circuit on the same pair previously used for the phone line. Their
    business sales folks didn't have any trouble with this, but when I'd
    asked about it for home, their residential sales droids said it was
    impossible. (Turned out not to be impossible, just more expensive than
    getting cable internet and VoIP and turing off Qwest altogether at
    home.)

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    Joshua Putnam, Jun 27, 2006
  8. "Chris Shearer Cooper" <> writes:
    >And then I need to coordinate transferring my phone number to my new VoIP
    >provider as well ... this is starting to sound really painful!

    You obviously want to start this process by paying for a new install
    of a standalone line before you kill the old line, because once the
    old line goes, your phone number goes too..

    No way to get it to overlap unless you do it all with one company, and
    even then it might not work. Qwest does sell VOIP services, but it's
    business orientated, not residential...
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 28, 2006
  9. Chris Shearer Cooper <> wrote:

    > I get my Internet over DSL ... can I switch my one-and-only land line to
    > VoIP? Or will shutting off the phone service also shut off the DSL?

    that depends on your telco providing the line, or vey likely it will
    ultimately depend on the regulatory sittuation in your place.

    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    +49 178 8545053
    Georg Schwarz, Jul 9, 2006
  10. In article <1hi819p.tppsercx6ftiN%>,
    (Georg Schwarz) wrote:

    > > I get my Internet over DSL ... can I switch my one-and-only land line to
    > > VoIP? Or will shutting off the phone service also shut off the DSL?

    > that depends on your telco providing the line, or vey likely it will
    > ultimately depend on the regulatory sittuation in your place.

    Depends.

    Some telcos do not offer "naked DSL" ie a copper pair wire that has
    DSL only and no phone line.

    Also not all VOIP services are 911 compliant so you need to check
    their service terms to determine how you will be effected.

    Cost comparisons against your needs are necessary.

    For example, can you drop your regular telephone service to it's
    bare-bones minimum (which keeps 911 service and often free incoming
    calls depending on service plans), keep the DSL, and then find that
    the call-per-minute rates for the VOIP will save money in the long run.
    D. Kirkpatrick, Jul 9, 2006