    nzschooltech Guest

    What is actually needed to use standalone VOIP phones or analogue phones
    with ATAs on your corporate network? We have Windows Server 2003.

    nzschooltech, Oct 11, 2006

  2. nzschooltech

    cyril Guest

    The Grandstreams that Dick Smith and Slingshot have also available at
    Sipserve.net.nz can be configured to work without a aix switch (ie you
    can simply dial an ip address). Never done it myself, but have used
    units that were setup that way on a lan.

    I understand that not all VOIP phones and ATAs support this type of
    connection so hunt around.

    cyril

    cyril, Oct 11, 2006

  3. nzschooltech

    SchoolTech Guest

    cyril wrote:
    > The Grandstreams that Dick Smith and Slingshot have also available at
    > Sipserve.net.nz can be configured to work without a aix switch (ie you
    > can simply dial an ip address). Never done it myself, but have used
    > units that were setup that way on a lan.
    >
    > I understand that not all VOIP phones and ATAs support this type of
    > connection so hunt around.
    >
    > cyril

    What is an AIX switch?

    Where do I get more information about all this stuff?

    SchoolTech, Oct 11, 2006
  4. nzschooltech

    Smiles Guest

    www.voip-info.org

    Smiles, Oct 11, 2006
  5. nzschooltech

    cyril Guest

    Asterix switches (or AIX) are VOIP switches that route calls between
    VOIP devices. Also check SIP servers, which are the guts of Asterix.

    A Asterix switch can run on basic PC hardware (running linux) and you
    can get line cards that will act as trunk circuits and route calls to
    the PSTN. With this you can create a PABX (which is what Asterix is).

    Cyril

    cyril, Oct 11, 2006