    go about setting it up?

    Thanks
    divoch
    divoch, Sep 15, 2010

  2. In article <aVako.188770$2>,
    divoch <> wrote:
    >While I know I can get Skype on some mobiles either using Internet or as
    >free Skype on 3 I am not sure if I could use VOIP like Sipgate on some
    >phones. If yes, how could I tell which mobiles are suitable and how would I
    >go about setting it up?

    Yes - if the mobile supports a SIP client. Some higher end Nokias have
    one built in (E90, N95, N900 and probably others) and there are apps.
    for other phones. Google is your friend....

    Most may insist on using Wi-Fi for SIP though, but some may be persuaded
    to use 3G - depending on coverage, network, and tarrif you might be OK
    on 3G...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 16, 2010

  3. In article <>,
    R. Mark Clayton <> wrote:

    >Most of the time it is via wi-fi, however if the service is activated (or
    >the phone switched on) when out of coverage then it will [accidentally] make
    >a connection across 3G. OTOH Voip via 3G is poor quality* and [usually]
    >breaches your T&C.
    >
    >Quality over wi-fi is usually excellent.
    >
    >Set up is a little complex, buried deep in the menus, use once set up is
    >simple.
    >
    >* might improve if you use a GSM voice codec, but I doubt it.

    I've actually have surprisingly good quality voice via 3G - but I guess
    it depends on the location - I'm on O2 and I was making video calls via
    3.5G in Paignton a few weeks ago... (N900, and Laptop tethered to phone
    via Ekiga)

    And a while back, I had a VoIP customer use a Draytek 2820 with a 3G
    USB dongle thing for a few weeks until they got broadband installed -
    I think they were on Voda...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 16, 2010
  4. divoch

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:29:34 +0100, divoch wrote:

    > While I know I can get Skype on some mobiles either using Internet or as
    > free Skype on 3 I am not sure if I could use VOIP like Sipgate on some
    > phones. If yes, how could I tell which mobiles are suitable and how
    > would I go about setting it up?
    >
    > Thanks
    > divoch

    Yes you can use SIP voip on a mobile. However, it is much better if that
    mobile has WiFi and you can use that instead of 3G. Depending on the 3G
    service voip can sound bad sometimes.
    If you have something like an N95 then that has an inbuilt SIP client
    that can be set up to work over WiFi. If you go for that then check out,
    via Google Groups, a post that I have made before with all the settings.
    The advantage of the Nokia client is that it is likely to be less of a
    drain on the battery. If you want to install a client that is available
    for many phones then you could try Fring. There is a SIP option in there.
    If you go for the '3' network then you can get free Skype and then, if
    you are reasonably technically apt, you can link that to SIP and make
    your calls that way - see previous postings for SIPtoSIS via Google
    Groups. The PAYG option is quite good for free stuff on '3'.

    Warning: For downloads etc.: If you are using that other operating
    system, where you can get viruses, make sure you install the WOT 'add-on
    into your Firefox browser so you are warned about 'bad' sites.

    Brian A, Sep 20, 2010
  5. Brian A wrote:
    >If you want to install a client that is available
    >for many phones then you could try Fring. There is a SIP option in there.

    If you don't like the closed-source approach of fring, there's also
    linphone.org, free for iPhone and Android.

    Roger Burton West, Sep 20, 2010
  6. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:29:34 +0100, divoch wrote:
    >
    >> While I know I can get Skype on some mobiles either using Internet or as
    >> free Skype on 3 I am not sure if I could use VOIP like Sipgate on some
    >> phones. If yes, how could I tell which mobiles are suitable and how
    >> would I go about setting it up?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> divoch

    > Yes you can use SIP voip on a mobile. However, it is much better if that
    > mobile has WiFi and you can use that instead of 3G. Depending on the 3G
    > service voip can sound bad sometimes.
    > If you have something like an N95 then that has an inbuilt SIP client
    > that can be set up to work over WiFi. If you go for that then check out,
    > via Google Groups, a post that I have made before with all the settings.
    > The advantage of the Nokia client is that it is likely to be less of a
    > drain on the battery. If you want to install a client that is available
    > for many phones then you could try Fring. There is a SIP option in there.
    > If you go for the '3' network then you can get free Skype and then, if
    > you are reasonably technically apt, you can link that to SIP and make
    > your calls that way - see previous postings for SIPtoSIS via Google
    > Groups. The PAYG option is quite good for free stuff on '3'.
    >
    > Warning: For downloads etc.: If you are using that other operating
    > system, where you can get viruses, make sure you install the WOT 'add-on
    > into your Firefox browser so you are warned about 'bad' sites.

    I agree that the PAYG option on '3' is quite good for free stuff . That is
    what I have - including free Skype. However, I have also Cambridge phone
    number from Sipgate and Prague number from another VOIP provider and so I
    would like to have them all on my mobile. Ideally I would have a mobile
    where I would be able to use all three. i.e. Skype, Sipgate and "the other"
    one either via Wi-Fi or 3G, which is what my current S2 cannot do.

    divoch
    divoch, Sep 20, 2010