VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN connection.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve, Jan 3, 2010.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,
    I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the main
    WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the spares
    elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another 2600VG). I have it
    currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get either of
    the VOIP ports to work.

    Topography is in simple terms:-

    WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)

    ..100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.

    Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to sipgate.net
    port 10000

    I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to WAN.
    LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of, but still can't
    get it to register.

    So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
    something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this set up to
    work please?

    regards,

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 3, 2010

  2. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 +0000, Jono wrote:

    > Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet facing
    > router to a LAN port on the primary?

    Being an ADSL 'router', would the WAN not be tied to the modem?
    Rob Johnson, Jan 4, 2010

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <4b41a044$0$2524$>,
    lid (Rob Johnson) wrote:

    > *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    > connection.
    > *From:* Rob Johnson <>
    > *Date:* 04 Jan 2010 08:01:08 GMT
    >
    > On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 +0000, Jono wrote:
    >
    > > Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet
    > > facing
    > > router to a LAN port on the primary?

    > Being an ADSL 'router', would the WAN not be tied to the modem?

    It's a thought, do you think that maybe the VOIP port has to be able to
    directly see the WAN. As I posted above, having had the 2nd router(.100)
    sat in a DMZ, I'm beginning to think you may be right!

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 4, 2010
  4. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:56:52 +0000, Jono wrote:

    > Rob Johnson wrote on 04/01/2010 :
    >> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 +0000, Jono wrote:
    >>
    >>> Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet
    >>> facing router to a LAN port on the primary?

    >> Being an ADSL 'router', would the WAN not be tied to the modem?

    > All the Drayteks I've used have either Ethernet WAN or ADSL WAN.

    My 2800 (or 'the slow, flaky old dog' as I call her) has a bog standard
    modem which is the 'WAN' side. There is no option to switch that to
    Ethernet. I imagine they probably make a version which has that or is
    designed for cable instead?
    Rob Johnson, Jan 5, 2010
  5. Steve

    TheDragon Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the main
    > WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the spares
    > elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another 2600VG). I have it
    > currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get either of
    > the VOIP ports to work.
    >
    > Topography is in simple terms:-
    >
    > WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)
    >
    > .100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.
    >
    > Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to sipgate.net
    > port 10000
    >
    > I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to WAN.
    > LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of, but still can't
    > get it to register.
    >
    > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
    > something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this set up to
    > work please?
    >
    > regards,
    >

    > - Steve

    I tried for months on a 2800VG it would not under any configuration get the
    VOIP to work via LAN as it is supposed to do. There is long long thread here
    about it Google it.
    TheDragon, Jan 5, 2010
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <>,
    (TheDragon) wrote:

    > *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    > connection.
    > *From:* "TheDragon" <>
    > *Date:* Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:49:18 +0100
    >
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message

    --8< SNIP >8--

    > > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
    > > something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this
    > > set up to
    > > work please?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >

    > > - Steve

    > I tried for months on a 2800VG it would not under any configuration
    > get the VOIP to work via LAN as it is supposed to do. There is long
    > long thread here about it Google it.

    OK, thanks for that, Save me trying any more then.. ! Looks like I need
    a Cat5 to VOIP box to hang off the back of the remote router.

    Anyone care to recommend anything simple/cheap/effective.???

    regards,

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 6, 2010
  7. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:47:00 +0000, Steve wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > (TheDragon) wrote:
    >
    >> *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    >> connection.
    >> *From:* "TheDragon" <> *Date:* Tue, 5
    >> Jan 2010 21:49:18 +0100
    >>
    >> "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    > --8< SNIP >8--
    >> >
    >> > So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
    >> > something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this set up
    >> > work please?
    >> >
    >> > regards,
    >> >

    >> > - Steve

    >> I tried for months on a 2800VG it would not under any configuration get
    >> the VOIP to work via LAN as it is supposed to do. There is long long
    >> thread here about it Google it.
    >>

    > OK, thanks for that, Save me trying any more then.. ! Looks like I need
    > a Cat5 to VOIP box to hang off the back of the remote router.
    >
    > Anyone care to recommend anything simple/cheap/effective.???
    >

    > regards,
    >
    > - Steve

    +1 for the Linksys PAP2
    Rob Johnson, Jan 6, 2010
  8. Steve

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <4b41a044$0$2524$>, Rob Johnson
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 +0000, Jono wrote:
    >
    >> Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet facing
    >> router to a LAN port on the primary?

    >Being an ADSL 'router', would the WAN not be tied to the modem?

    Not always, I have a BT home hub which works well in the way the OP
    wants. Took a bit of thinking and messing about but it's trivial to
    configure.
    --
    Clint Sharp
    Clint Sharp, Jan 6, 2010
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <7Jyu$>,
    (Clint Sharp) wrote:

    > *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    > connection.
    > *From:* Clint Sharp <>
    > *Date:* Wed, 6 Jan 2010 21:10:00 +0000
    >
    > In message <4b41a044$0$2524$>, Rob Johnson
    > <> writes
    > >On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:10:46 +0000, Jono wrote:
    > >
    > >> Also, I assume you've connected the WAN port on the non-internet

    > facing
    > >> router to a LAN port on the primary?

    > >Being an ADSL 'router', would the WAN not be tied to the modem?
    > >

    > Not always, I have a BT home hub which works well in the way the OP
    > wants. Took a bit of thinking and messing about but it's trivial to
    > configure.
    > --
    > Clint Sharp

    Interesting... what are you using for a modem?

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 6, 2010
  10. Steve

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <memo.20100106230217.3260A@rook.127.0.0.1>, Steve
    <> writes
    >> Not always, I have a BT home hub which works well in the way the OP
    >> wants. Took a bit of thinking and messing about but it's trivial to
    >> configure.
    >> --
    >> Clint Sharp
    >>

    >Interesting... what are you using for a modem?

    Draytek 2820N but it's worked with several other modem/router combos
    before that (Netgear, Linksys and a couple of cheap reference design
    Taiwanese that I can remember, I tend to change routers often). I don't
    think I ever tried to get it working with the 2wire 2700. Notably, none
    of them offered VOiP facilities of their own.

    --
    Clint Sharp
    Clint Sharp, Jan 7, 2010
  11. Steve

    Steve Guest

    In article <>,
    (Clint Sharp) wrote:

    > *Subject:* Re: VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN
    > connection.
    > *From:* Clint Sharp <>
    > *Date:* Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:52:22 +0000
    >
    > Notably, none of them offered VOiP facilities of
    > their own.

    I think that's probably the key. Who manufactures the BT box ?

    - Steve
    Steve, Jan 7, 2010
  12. Steve

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <memo.20100107220117.5296C@rook.127.0.0.1>, Steve
    <> writes
    >In article <>,
    > (Clint Sharp) wrote:
    >> Notably, none of them offered VOiP facilities of
    >> their own.

    >I think that's probably the key.

    Probably. I've not had the opportunity to test any other VOiP routers (I
    didn't test with the 2700HGV as I find the menus on it a PITA to find my
    way around and there's no telnet interface AFAIK) but I suspect you're
    right.

    > Who manufactures the BT box ?

    I think the one I have is made by Inventel, it's a V1.5.

    --
    Clint Sharp
    Clint Sharp, Jan 8, 2010