VOIP network config question

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kevin_S, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. Kevin_S

    Kevin_S Guest

    I am getting ready to implement a VOIP system in our organization. I
    have a couple basic issues that I'm not sure I'm understanding
    properly.

    I currently have a basic 10.0.0.0 network. I have 5 sattelite areas
    (10.0.x.0) routed back to my main network.

    I am trying to decide whether to put the IP phones on a seperate
    subnet from my existing devices here. I am implementing layer 3 PoE
    switches. I'm assuming the advantages are that all the voice traffic
    would be on a seperate subnet, and the basic disadvantage would be
    added complexity in programming/routing my other phone systems.

    Phones & PC's would then have sperate connections in each office.
    Phones go to the PoE switch & subnet, PC's would go back to my other
    swtich. If I go this route, some of my switches in outer buildings
    here would have to have devices from two different subnets plugged
    into the same switch. WIth layer 3 switches I assume this is OK. Any
    reasons I may not want to or be able to do this.

    Is it worth it to seperate these?

    Kevin_S, Apr 24, 2007