VoIP, network analysis software, etc...

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by .zor@n., Oct 8, 2003.

  1. .zor@n.

    .zor@n. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm a student, and I would like to do some practical research about
    VoIP within campus network.

    The idea is to generate some VoIP traffic between 2 locations
    connected via loaded 2 Mbit link. What I need is a suitable software
    to make an analysis of described case, primary for network monitoring,
    measuring relevant parameters and, eventually, simulating different
    types of traffic (not necessarily, but it would be nice).
    Another question is about client-software for producing VoIP calls. I
    was considering something like Netmeeting, but on second thought, it
    would be very useful to have something more customizable (with
    possibility of choosing a codec, etc..).

    The final problem is that I need a freeware/open-source solutions, if
    it is possible. I know there is many commercial solutions for those
    purposes, but I can't afford them to myself because they mainly costs
    thousands of dollars (talking about network analysis tool).
    In worse case, even some usable shareware could help.
    At last, I really don't need some fancy networking tool, just a piece
    of software that can capture some relevant informations for me.

    So, any constructively suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.

    --
    "Usenet is not a democracy."
    zoran_b[at]hi.hinet.hr
    .zor@n., Oct 8, 2003

  2. .zor@n.

    TC Guest

    You are in www.asterisk.org land here :)
    you can set asterisk up & it will talk
    SIP, H323, SCCP (aka skinny), IAX, TDM using anyone of u/aLaw, gsm, ilibc,
    speex, g729
    then pick something like xlite www.xten.com or any of the other SIP
    softphone
    see http://www.iptelephony.org/frame/vendors_client-phones.html
    or
    voxilla.com

    TC, Oct 8, 2003

  3. ..zor@n. wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a student, and I would like to do some practical research about
    > VoIP within campus network.
    >
    > The idea is to generate some VoIP traffic between 2 locations
    > connected via loaded 2 Mbit link. What I need is a suitable software
    > to make an analysis of described case, primary for network monitoring,
    > measuring relevant parameters and, eventually, simulating different
    > types of traffic (not necessarily, but it would be nice).
    > Another question is about client-software for producing VoIP calls. I
    > was considering something like Netmeeting, but on second thought, it
    > would be very useful to have something more customizable (with
    > possibility of choosing a codec, etc..).
    >
    > The final problem is that I need a freeware/open-source solutions, if
    > it is possible. I know there is many commercial solutions for those
    > purposes, but I can't afford them to myself because they mainly costs
    > thousands of dollars (talking about network analysis tool).
    > In worse case, even some usable shareware could help.
    > At last, I really don't need some fancy networking tool, just a piece
    > of software that can capture some relevant informations for me.
    >
    > So, any constructively suggestions are welcome.
    > Thanks.

    Hi,

    I have composed a system that gathered various forms of data from the
    network and graphed that with MRTG. All software was in the public
    domain running on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) system.

    I found some tools for bandwith monitoring at:
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/bing/?topic_id=861
    http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/nmtf-tools.html#public

    Personally I used bing for bandwidth estimates, monitored latency and
    jitter. From these values I guessed a MOS value based on some research
    reports I found and real-life tests proved that the system was fairly
    accurate.

    Arnold
    Arnold Ligtvoet, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Gary Gapinski, Oct 9, 2003